Dry food addict. Refuses anything else

Old April 8th 14, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.spirit
buglady[_2_]

Default Dry food addict. Refuses anything else

On 4/8/2014 12:07 PM, John Doe wrote:
Please avoid using Google Groups. Use a real newsreader.

...........Did someone hire you as hall monitor?

When you want to address your reply to somebody, reply under their
reply. That's what UseNet threading is all about.

.............If you knew anything about Usenet, you'd know not to X-post.

buglady
don't bother replying
Old April 8th 14, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.spirit,free.usenet
John Doe

Let's see if this troll can provide credible citations for its
lame brained idea that dry food is bad for cats...

Old April 10th 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane B

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:26:36 PM UTC-4, buglady wrote:
On 4/8/2014 11:03 AM, Jane B wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, Buglady. Except for the raw food, I have tried the other tricks.

They don't work.

........maybe rotate tricks and keep trying? I know all about stubborn

cats! The pet food store used to have freeze dried liver bits that I

would crumble to powder over food to increase appetite. You didn't need

much and it was aromatic.

As for the raw, I'll try it but I doubt it will work. She has no

interest in "people" food, even fish.

.........You never know......warm aromatic seared chicken may be

delectable. You could get some deli turkey and see if she likes that.

Think positive. Put the food down and walk away. Pick it up after half

an hour.

What about the tuna? I'm guessing feeding her tuna too often is not a good idea.

...........Personally I stay away from a lot of the canned fishy cat

foods. It's as addictive as kibble, which appears to be the issue. And

not believing that they put the "best" in cat foods, who knows how much

mercury is in that tuna.

As I said, it's the only canned cat food she's willing to eat - and

not much of that.

...........If she eats it, use it. Only dole out 1 tbsp at a time. If

she's eating even 2 tbsps a day that's enough to keep her going so hang

tough for a couple of days. Pick up the kibble so there's no choice in

the matter.

.........A friend of mine said his cat had no interest in canned food,

but now that's all she'll eat. Don't know what happened. I think it's

not having the kibble dish on the floor all the time, which isn't a

great way to feed anyway, because you never know how much they're

eating. I feed twice a day, then a tiny snack at noon and bed time.

Setting up feeding times can help appetite issues. If there's food

available all the time, they're never really that hungry.

buglady

take out the dog before replying

Thanks again Buglady. I'll try your suggestions, and thanks for replying to John Doe.
Old April 10th 14, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Google Groups troll...

--

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 07:36:58 -0700 (PDT)

Old April 10th 14, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 08:55:30 -0700 (PDT), Jane B
wrote:

Now that I've read how much healthier canned food over dry, I've been trying to convert my cat. She is incredibly fussy. Only eats dry food. She does not over eat, so she is fed at will.

I have tried about 30 different brands and flavors of canned foods. The only kind she's will to touch are Wellness Select with SkipJack tuna and Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats. Decent quality, but I really hate feeding her tuna and she absolutely won't touch anything else. Strangely, she loves Fancy Feast Appetizer white meat chicken, but first of all that stuff is not a balanced food, and secondly it's made with sodium nitrite. They should be ashamed!

I've tried every trick suggested in this group. She just refuses to eat at all if it's not dry or tuna flavor. If there's even a hint of another flavor mixed in she won't touch it. I also tried turning her dry into wet with water. She won't eat that either.

Now what??

My two girls are both little butterballs. Since most of the cats in
Mexico (where I live) get fed rice and beans, my vet was surprosed
when she saw and weighed them.

I have been giving them Fancy Feast dry food ( small scoop-full)
topped with a teaspoon or two of Fancy Feast wet food. I am afraid I
spoil them becasue I feed them three times a day - when I eat. I buy
their food in California.

Here is a strange thing: they both love the Famcy Feast wet food that
I buy in California. Fancy Feast also cans and sells it in Mexico,
but my cats will not touch the Mexican stuff even though it is the
same brand. Of course, I do not like Mexican beef, either; it's tough
and stringy, so maybe it's in the quality of the ingredients.

Lately, they have not been touching the dry food so much and just
eating the wet. They are always crying or mooning around the kitchen
for food!

Hope you have some luck! Cheers!

Old April 11th 14, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Mack A. Damia mybaconbutty hotmail.com wrote:

they both love the Famcy Feast wet food...they have not been
touching the dry food so much and just eating the wet

That's because of how you have fed them.

Nothing wrong with wet food. Whenever I need to give them
medicine, I use Fancy Feast wet. Doing that today. But I know it
causes tooth rot, just like sweet food does to our teeth (some of
you might not notice). So I followed their (medicated) Fancy Feast
with some Purina Veterinary Diet Dental Health DH. If I were
feeding wet food, I would follow each meal with a small amount of
that DH dry food.

The Purina DH is very expensive, but probably cheaper than the
same amount of small packaged treats meant to control tartar
buildup. And the DH is probably healthier than the small packaged
dental health treats.
Old April 11th 14, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 02:02:40 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Mack A. Damia mybaconbutty hotmail.com wrote:

they both love the Fancy Feast wet food...they have not been
touching the dry food so much and just eating the wet

That's because of how you have fed them.

Nothing wrong with wet food. Whenever I need to give them
medicine, I use Fancy Feast wet. Doing that today. But I know it
causes tooth rot, just like sweet food does to our teeth (some of
you might not notice). So I followed their (medicated) Fancy Feast
with some Purina Veterinary Diet Dental Health DH. If I were
feeding wet food, I would follow each meal with a small amount of
that DH dry food.

The Purina DH is very expensive, but probably cheaper than the
same amount of small packaged treats meant to control tartar
buildup. And the DH is probably healthier than the small packaged
dental health treats.

I guess you know that they do not like change, and I am too soft with
them. The younger of the two seems to eat anything, but the older is
very fussy. I would feel guilty changing their diets. They are both
still young cats - 3-1/2 and 2-1/2, so I do wonder about health
problems as they age. I live in Mexico, and there seems to be a vet
on every corner. The stores do not have much variety of food, and I
mentioned about the Mexican-canned Fancy Feast. I stock up with
several months-worth of food when I go to California.

Thanks. I will check out your suggestions the next time I cross the
border.

Old April 11th 14, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:
Mack A. Damia mybaconbutty hotmail.com wrote:

they both love the Fancy Feast wet food...they have not been
touching the dry food so much and just eating the wet

That's because of how you have fed them.

Nothing wrong with wet food. Whenever I need to give them
medicine, I use Fancy Feast wet. Doing that today. But I know it
causes tooth rot, just like sweet food does to our teeth (some
of you might not notice). So I followed their (medicated) Fancy
Feast with some Purina Veterinary Diet Dental Health DH. If I
were feeding wet food, I would follow each meal with a small
amount of that DH dry food.

The Purina DH is very expensive, but probably cheaper than the
same amount of small packaged treats meant to control tartar
buildup. And the DH is probably healthier than the small
packaged dental health treats.

I guess you know that they do not like change,

That is for sure. It's the smell and the taste. You have to
introduce it gradually.

and I am too soft with them. The younger of the two seems to
eat anything, but the older is very fussy. I would feel guilty
changing their diets. They are both still young cats - 3-1/2
and 2-1/2, so I do wonder about health problems as they age. I
live in Mexico, and there seems to be a vet on every corner.
The stores do not have much variety of food, and I mentioned
about the Mexican-canned Fancy Feast. I stock up with several
months-worth of food when I go to California.

Can you buy food online? I guess not. You have probably thought of
this already, but... You might be able to order some stuff online
and have it sent to the California address. Might have credit card
address verification problems with that. I'm sure you can track
orders online, so you will know exactly when it gets there.

Good luck.

Old April 11th 14, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 03:02:00 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

[...]

I thought of the mail thing a while ago. I have a post office box in
San Diego, and I have a local courier service pick up my mail three
times a week and bring it to their office in Ensenada, Baja, where I
pick it up.

Packages and parcels can be a problem, and I decided to try to work
around doing that.

But I wouldn't know what to try; I mean, my thinking is that I feed
them well now, but I read all your messages about cat food and wonder.

I mentioned earlier that most cats in Mexico live on rice and beans!

Our family has had cats all my life, and we really haven't had any
problems with diet - except a beautiful male Himmilayan with a
pedigree that I found in Pennsylvania in the early 1990s. He must
have been at least four when I found him as a stray and discovered by
accident that he had a pedigree and had been used for breeding, then
given away to somebody who was careless with him and let him roam in
the dead of winter.

Actually, my parents kept him as I could not, and they sometimes fed
him people food from the table. Also, no special cat food. He lived
another five years and developed a urinary tract blockage from which
he died after surgery, but the vet told us that the breed is very
susceptible to blockages due to improper diet, and my parents (or I)
did not know anything about it. We think he was about ten or eleven
years old when he died. Sir Percy Cat.

Old April 11th 14, 09:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man

wrote:

[...]

Four years later and I'm still waiting for that Knock, Mac the RAT...

The Nice Mean Man

R U an Addict ? Need Help ? Shailer's Shack, Inc Cat health & behaviour 0 May 21st 08 05:37 PM
Addict... wafflycat Cat anecdotes 9 December 26th 05 10:17 AM
Cat refuses to come into the house Norbert Fortener Cat health & behaviour 2 October 20th 05 10:52 PM
Feral cat refuses to eat Sheri Cat health & behaviour 38 December 12th 03 04:37 AM
Lacey is a TV addict Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 10 November 2nd 03 03:13 AM