almost-bad accident

Old July 22nd 05, 03:30 PM
Pat

Default almost-bad accident

I went out last night to close the tailgate on my van, in case the horses
busted into the yard during the night. (It was open during the day to keep
the boxes of tapes I had loaded for the swap meet from melting.) Going down
the steps on the way out, I failed to notice Lily laying on the top step and
nearly fell down the stairs, rolling poor baby Lily under my foot in the
process.

She promptly disappeared, crying, under the house. I ran back inside for a
flashlight and could not find one quickly so ran back outside and called for
her under the house. She responded weakly. I ran back inside to search for a
flashlight again, couldn't find one, ran back out to check on Lily, worried
sick about how hurt she might be, but I could not see her. She was still
responding to my calls with pitiful small mews.

By this time I was going berserk with worry and didn't want to waste another
second hunting for a flashlight. I grabbed a 100' extension cord and a lamp.
Plugged them in and unwound the cord to the back of the house to crawl thru
a hole and shine the light on my baby girl. I finally coaxed her to come to
me and she appeared to be unhurt, but she hasn't wanted to come near me yet
today. Now even tho I have apologized fifty different ways, I can't blame
her for feeling the way she does.

If she had been badly hurt I would never forgive myself for being so
careless.

Old July 22nd 05, 03:51 PM
CatNipped

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Aw Pat, I don't think there's anyone here who *hasn't* tripped over or
stepped on one of their furbabies! I did much worse than that last summer
when Sammy was still a little kitten. In the 10000000% humidity here in
Houston in the summer, our doors tend to swell and stick really badly, so
you have to slam them hard to get them to shut completely. I was coming in
from outside and Sammy picked just that time to try to dash out the door and
I *SLAMMED* the door on her. I still get sick to my stomach when I think
about it - I don't know *HOW* I didn't kill her then and there! I breaks my
heart because to this day she sneaks up to any door she has to pass through
and then *dashes* through as fast as she can! I thought she would hate me
forever for that, but she forgave me in just a few minutes. Cats are such
noble creatures!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 22nd 05, 06:08 PM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:30:47 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

It sounds like you were lucky you didn't break your neck or leg. Purrs
that Lily suffered no physical harm and that she will forgive you soon.
Perhaps an outside light would be helpful. Best wishes. MLB

Old July 22nd 05, 06:26 PM
Mathew Kagis

Pat: I'm glad Lilly's ok. Annoying habbit of most cats..."I think
I'll nap in the high traffic zone, that way meowmie will remember to
pet me when she walks by"... Kinda like how they like to weave between
your moving feet when you walk down the hall... Making them
unintentional soccer balls on occasion. I'm sure Lilly will forgive,
but not foreget, in time.

Cheers
Mathew, Chablis & Muscat

Old July 22nd 05, 07:25 PM
Adrian

Pat wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Lily to forgive you soon.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old July 22nd 05, 07:50 PM
Christina Websell

Pat wrote:
[...]

Please don't beat yourself up about this Pat, accidents happen. Seems like
it shocked both of you a lot, so a hug for you and purrs for Lily not be
hurt at all and to forgive you very soon.
I have stepped on and tripped over my cats accidentally lots of times -
especially when I was going through my eye ops and had sight problems
(thankfully that's in the past) - and I was always surprised that when I
said "Awww, sorry.." they seemed to understand straight away that I hadn't
meant to do it and came back to me from where they had initially scooted.
Kitty has been with me the whole time I was so clumsy and has learned to pop
herself under a kitchen stool or the table if she thinks my feet are coming
too close for comfort. Even though I tell her I can see her well now, she
doesn't believe me..
Boyfie has only been here actually in the house for 18 months or so, so he
never had to go through what poor old Kitty did.
However, he is what I call a "leg winder" he insists on curling round my
legs when he thinks I am about to feed him (or wants me to!) and when he
starts to do this unexpectedly when I am just about to walk I have often
nearly fallen over him and sent him flying.
He forgives all.
So will Lily.

Tweed

Old July 22nd 05, 09:37 PM
Wayne Mitchell

"Pat" wrote:

If she had been badly hurt I would never forgive myself for being so
careless.

Poor Lily -- and poor Pat. Guilt feelings are inevitable, and
we've all been there. But you weren't careless. You were just
big, clumsy, blind and deaf -- like any human. If cats really
understood that about us, they wouldn't dare live with us.
We're lucky that the concept is beyond them.

I once kicked Heidi downstairs. Came around the corner from my
bedroom onto the dark upstairs landing and started down the
stairs on the run, as I frequently do. She didn't weigh
fourteen pounds back then; the poor long-haired rugger ball
landed most of the way down.

The stairs are carpeted, so she wasn't much hurt, and she
forgave me quickly. But she has since trained me not to hurry
across that landing. If she is in possession, the only way to
cross unscathed is to go slo-o-owly and pick my feet up high.
If I try to scoot by her, I usually pay a one- or two-claw toll.

--

Wayne M.
Old July 23rd 05, 04:56 PM
polonca12000

Please don't be so hard on yourself, Pat. Kitties seem to think we can see
in the dark just like they do, but unfortunately we do not.
Purrs and best wishes for Lily not to be hurt and for you to forgive
yourself, Pat,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old July 23rd 05, 08:28 PM
Charleen Welton

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Pat, what everyone else said is so true, don't be hard on yourself, cats are
like that, yes they are. Victor Velcro has decided that he wants to be a
rug. Yep, a gray rug. So he stretches his very long skinny self out across
any doorway of his choosing and goes sound asleep, as in not able to hear
you coming. I know, just know for sure that one of these days I will check
and not be able to see him then go a** over teakettle. I'm sure he will be
fine. I hope Lily is okay too.
Charleen

Old July 25th 05, 04:46 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-22, Pat penned:

If she had been badly hurt I would never forgive myself for being so
careless.

Just got to reading this ... like everyone else said, unfortunately
cats just love to set us up to trip over them. I keep telling Oscar
that lurking for me on the stairs will be the end of her (and maybe
me!) yet, but she doesn't listen. And when I walk in a dark room, I
make sure to shuffle one foot at a time along the floor.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully