Is there such a thing as "cat whistle"?

Old October 19th 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default Is there such a thing as "cat whistle"?

I have been asking a lot of questions, but please bear with me!

My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something cats
can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for dogs.)

Sometimes we have to go looking for our cat, who may be hiding who
knows where. It is quite a spectacle to go around yelling her name. If
there was a whistle we could teach her to recognize, but people
couldn't hear it, then we could do this discreetly.
Old October 19th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
.._..

There might be such a device. (Dog whistles probably can be heard by them,
their eardrums are small enough they may pick up that frequency.)

Whether or not your cat actually responds to it on the other hand... it may
require you to train the cat that whistle means treat time or something.

Old October 19th 07, 04:11 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
I have been asking a lot of questions, but please bear with me!

My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something cats
can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for dogs.)

A dog whistle works fine....My B-K comes a runnun' in the evening when I go
out on the front porch and blow mine.....(He knows he's going to get a
goodie).

Old October 19th 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark G.[_2_]

"RPSinha" wrote:

My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something cats
can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for dogs.)

Tuna can being opened at 250 yards?

Old October 19th 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Mark G." wrote in message
"RPSinha" wrote:

My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something cats
can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for dogs.)

Tuna can being opened at 250 yards?

That'll do it....A spoon banging on the side of the cat dish works well,
too........

Old October 19th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

When I feed the canned food (breakfast and dinner) I ring a small dinner
bell as I put the plates down. Tiger and Amber don't go out but I
figure if one of them did get out, ringing the bell should bring him/her
running.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 20th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from RPSinha :

I have been asking a lot of questions, but please bear with me!

My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something
cats can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for
dogs.)

Sometimes we have to go looking for our cat, who may be hiding who
knows where. It is quite a spectacle to go around yelling her
name. If there was a whistle we could teach her to recognize, but
people couldn't hear it, then we could do this discreetly.

From the very beginning I used "Gabby" for everything related to the
cat. And I used "gabby-gabby-gabby" in a high-pitched and fast
voice to mean here comes dinner.

Now I can literally call his name once and he comes to see what I
want? If I use the "dinner bell," he blasts off from wherever he is
and heads straight to his bowl.

So calling them DOES work. You just have to put in 10x the effort
as you do with a dog it seems.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 20th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 20, 11:40 am, "-Lost" wrote:
Response from RPSinha :
My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something
cats can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for
dogs.)

Sometimes we have to go looking for our cat, who may be hiding who
knows where. It is quite a spectacle to go around yelling her
name. If there was a whistle we could teach her to recognize, but
people couldn't hear it, then we could do this discreetly.

Dog and cat whistles emit both frequencies in the audible and non-
audible
range of humans.
Cats and dogs do have sensitive hearing and are able to hear sounds
outside the range of what humans can normally hear.

From the very beginning I used "Gabby" for everything related to the
And I used "gabby-gabby-gabby" in a high-pitched and fast
voice to mean here comes dinner.

OMG...I remember when I was a kid, my mom would yell out the back
door; "hear kitty kitty kitty!"
And Tom the cat would come running.
Quite a spectacle is right.

I use a forceful "ssssssssp, ssssssssp" to get Mama to come to me.
It's mid-high frequency, without the loud volume...no whistle needed.

Whatever you decide to use, stick with it.

Old October 21st 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_3_]

I just shake the bag. Not only does a bag of cat food make a nice percussion
instrument, it works well about 60% of the time in getting Her Majesty,
Isis, to leave her hiding place somewhere and come to see what's what.

I would also note that my failure to keep the bowl filled, again, is getting
dangerous for me. I was walking in my stocking feet and one of those little
deadly razor claws was deliberately snagged in one of my socks very very
close to my tender big toe skin. I filled the bowl with less than day old
canned food and things are pretty quiet now.

Mike in Illinois

"studio" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 20, 11:40 am, "-Lost" wrote:
Response from RPSinha :
My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something
cats can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for
dogs.)

Sometimes we have to go looking for our cat, who may be hiding who
knows where. It is quite a spectacle to go around yelling her
name. If there was a whistle we could teach her to recognize, but
people couldn't hear it, then we could do this discreetly.

Dog and cat whistles emit both frequencies in the audible and non-
audible
range of humans.
Cats and dogs do have sensitive hearing and are able to hear sounds
outside the range of what humans can normally hear.

From the very beginning I used "Gabby" for everything related to the

Old October 22nd 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bartlet

On Oct 19, 6:41 am, RPSinha wrote:
I have been asking a lot of questions, but please bear with me!

My latest is: Is there such a thing as "cat whistle", something cats
can hear and humans can't. (Similar to what's available for dogs.)

Sometimes we have to go looking for our cat, who may be hiding who
knows where. It is quite a spectacle to go around yelling her name. If
there was a whistle we could teach her to recognize, but people
couldn't hear it, then we could do this discreetly.

olah

cat whistle? I guess

I call mine like dogs

one night, I stuck my head out the door and hollered big and loud,
JUPITER get your black ass in here!

here she come

they lay in wait, their god is their belly

their territory is as large as their stomach