Too hot

Old June 30th 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Too hot

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

brits do not do heat.

With me I think it's partly age, during the summer of 1976 I wasn't
bothered by the heat at all, even though I was working hard in a
physical job. There is no way I could do even half of it now.

--

Luckily we don't have to worry about it too much, do we? ;-) It's rarely
hot enough to worry about for more than a few days at a time. Temperature

Tweed

Old June 30th 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

wrote in message

You are talking about air conditioning. It is so rarely mega hot here
in
the UK that we never need it. I don't know anyone who has it. It's
just
not necessary for the few days of hot weather we get at a time.
UK weather varies from day to day. It was very hot for two days here
and
then the temperature crashed back to kind of normal, even a little bit
cold
for summer. 16C
We do not need air conditioning in our houses in Britain.

I have noticed over the last few years it's getting more common in shops
and offices.

--

That might be because it's a legal requirement to make sure employees are
working in a comfortable temperature.

Old June 30th 11, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Default Disability (was Too hot)

I am on SSDI, but it was only a small portion of my career during which I
was making good money. When my job category got "off-shored" and I had to
out at, in 1979 was $8,000 GROSS!

My SSDI is about half what my private disability insurance pays.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

"Phoenix" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

However, things *will* have to change very soon - I'm not going to be
getting private long term disability benefits for much longer and we're
going to have to learn to live on the pittance we'll get from the
government

I presume you are on Social Security Disability? If so, I'm surprised your
disability amount is low. Your disability amount is based on how much you
earned over your lifetime, and it sounds like you earned quite a bit over
your lifetime.

If you are not on SSDI, for heaven's sake, GET on it! asap! This is
exactly what it's for, and there is no question that you can no longer
work. Once they make the determination, they will pay you for all the
months before when you were unable to work, which in your case, goes back
some time.

You can start the process online, and they can do the interviews over the
phone so you don't have to leave the house. www.ssa.gov to start.

Purrs,
Deborah

Old June 30th 11, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

You are talking about air conditioning. It is so rarely mega hot here in
the UK that we never need it. I don't know anyone who has it. It's just
not necessary for the few days of hot weather we get at a time.
UK weather varies from day to day. It was very hot for two days here and
then the temperature crashed back to kind of normal, even a little bit cold
for summer. 16C
We do not need air conditioning in our houses in Britain.

Of course we Americans are spoiled nowadays - we never had
air-conditioning in Minnesota or Wisconsin when I was a kid, and we
survived just fine. (Just opened the windows, and turned on electric
fans.) When I've traveled in Europe in summer, I never found the heat
that extreme, either - not in Paris or Brussels or Vienna, anyway.
(Italy or Spain or the South of France might have been different.)
Old June 30th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Matthew wrote:

LOL come to Florida it has been 107F plus humidity factor for the last
couple weeks staying about 80-90 till midnight

Yeah, that's even worse than Arizona's 117 - at least when it gets that
hot here, the dew point is around zero!

And you get some relief from it every night. You can open the windows and
cool down the house, so you're starting from a cool house the next morning.

My routine during heat waves is to keep windows closed and all blinds drawn
during the day. When I get home in the evening, I open every window and put
fans in 4 of them. Within an hour or so, the apartment is completely
comfortable. I usually keep one or two windows open all night, but don't
need fans anymore. Then the next morning, it's close the windows, etc to
"keep the cool in" (ie, keep the heat out). However, we haven't had a
heat wave in about 3 years - not like the kind we had every summer before
that, that last 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

So if I can do this in Northern California, you certainly can do it in
Arizona!

Joyce

You've never lived in Arizona, have you? I spent fifty years in and
around the Los Angeles area (which gets a lot hotter than Northern
California), and believe me, I'd still be happy with Southern
California, if I could afford to live there! Pure deserts may cool down
a lot at night, but urban areas have concrete and pavement to absorb the
heat during the day and feed it back at night - thus much of what was
once bearable in the greater Phoenix area ain't no mo' by a long shot!
Old June 30th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jack Campin wrote:
(There's a reason why Americans regard air-conditioning as a necessity,
not a luxury.)

Because you feel you have a religious duty to burn up the planet?

I've spent some time in south-east Turkey with the temperature
consistently at 45C most of the day. Just about nobody used air
conditioning. The more fortunate lived or worked in traditionally
built structures (sometimes not much changed since Abraham lived
there) which kept you pretty comfortable. The local clothing
was sanely chosen too.

Can't remember where I read this, but apparently the city of
Houston alone uses more energy for AC than the total energy
consumption of any of more than half the countries in the world.

If you can't take it, move somewhere else.

Believe me, I'd be happy to move back to Los Angeles if I could afford
to! Unfortunately, to survive on my retirement income a difference of
about $200 a month in rent was a deciding factor in moving here. (If
the morons in our Federal Government decide to cut the Social Security
benefits we were led to believe were guaranteed by a lifetime of working
and paying our taxes, there will be a lot more "senior citizens" living
on the streets, here in the U.S.!) Congress doesn't care - even the
congressman whose publishing lewd photos of himself on the Internet
forced him to retire is guaranteed well over a million in government
retirement benefits - it's just the American middle and working classes
that are becoming extinct!
Old June 30th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

You are talking about air conditioning. It is so rarely mega hot here in
the UK that we never need it. I don't know anyone who has it. It's
just not necessary for the few days of hot weather we get at a time.
UK weather varies from day to day. It was very hot for two days here and
then the temperature crashed back to kind of normal, even a little bit
cold for summer. 16C
We do not need air conditioning in our houses in Britain.

Of course we Americans are spoiled nowadays - we never had
air-conditioning in Minnesota or Wisconsin when I was a kid, and we
survived just fine. (Just opened the windows, and turned on electric
fans.) When I've traveled in Europe in summer, I never found the heat
that extreme, either - not in Paris or Brussels or Vienna, anyway. (Italy
or Spain or the South of France might have been different.)

It is rarely hot enough here for long enough to worry about.
Now last winter was a shocker. It was minus a million for weeks and I
nearly froze.
My woodburner could not cope so the best thing for me was to get into bed
under the duvet.
Boyfie did the same.
We used to emerge at the same time to see if the temperature was tolerable.
If not, we'd have our breakfast and go back under our duvets.
It was more than cold. It was -16C.

My toilet froze up in my house. That's how cold it was.

Tweed

Old June 30th 11, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Yeah, that's even worse than Arizona's 117 - at least when it gets that
hot here, the dew point is around zero!

And you get some relief from it every night. You can open the windows and
cool down the house, so you're starting from a cool house the next morning.

[snip]

So if I can do this in Northern California, you certainly can do it in
Arizona!

You've never lived in Arizona, have you? I spent fifty years in and
around the Los Angeles area (which gets a lot hotter than Northern
California), and believe me, I'd still be happy with Southern
California, if I could afford to live there! Pure deserts may cool down
a lot at night, but urban areas have concrete and pavement to absorb the
heat during the day and feed it back at night - thus much of what was
once bearable in the greater Phoenix area ain't no mo' by a long shot!

Well, you've got me there, Evelyn - I haven't lived in Arizona. I did spend
a week in Tucson once, during the month of October, but this was many, many
years ago and I'm sure the city has changed a lot. I remember it getting
up to 90 degrees during the day, which is not intolerable (at least not to
me at that time), and then falling precipitously to about 50 degrees at night.

Never been to Phoenix. I guess if you lived out in the desert (not in a
city), or maybe on the outskirts, as TJ of Flabulous Dusty fame did, the
nights would cool off faster.

I live in an urban area myself, but it still manages to cool off at night.
However, it's not cooling down from 117 degrees during the day! :-O

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old July 1st 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
I am on SSDI, but it was only a small portion of my career during which I
was making good money. When my job category got "off-shored" and I had to
out at, in 1979 was $8,000 GROSS!

My SSDI is about half what my private disability insurance pays.

Well, poo. I'm sorry it's so puny, that pretty much sucks. Still
sending purrs for best possible outcome, no matter what...and
give your kitties scritchies for me, will ya? Thanks.

Deborah
Old July 1st 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

"Phoenix" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
I am on SSDI, but it was only a small portion of my career during which I
was making good money. When my job category got "off-shored" and I had
started
out at, in 1979 was $8,000 GROSS!

My SSDI is about half what my private disability insurance pays.

Well, poo. I'm sorry it's so puny, that pretty much sucks. Still sending
purrs for best possible outcome, no matter what...and give your kitties
scritchies for me, will ya? Thanks.

Deborah

The kitties say thank you, they enjoyed your skritchies. And I appreciate
your concern - we'll manage somehow.