And then there's my nephew... (Long, a rant, Not OT)

Old May 5th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default And then there's my nephew... (Long, a rant, Not OT)

Got a call out of the blue this morning from my nephew, who moved to
California about 7 months ago. He had been living with my brother up to
that point and had a cat named Jupiter. Apparently he saw no reason to take
Jupiter with him. Until... surprise! My brother is moving to Kansas. In
two days. (Defaulting on his mortgage, abandoning his house, but that's
another story.) And he's not taking the cat.

So my nephew calls me. "Aunt Jill, can you take care of my cat *for a few
days*? I'm getting a settlement check probably by Friday. When I get my
settlement I'll send you the money so you can have my cat shipped to me."
[Suddenly I'm in the middle of a Judge Judy episode.]

I may get flamed for this but I said nope, sorry, can't help you.

This "kid" will be 26 in July. I know him. I'm sure he hasn't given a
single thought to Jupiter in the 7 months he's been gone, otherwise he would
have found a way to get the cat in the meantime. It's not until my brother
said he can't keep the cat any longer, suddenly it's a mad scramble to deal
with Jupiter.

That's not the only reason, of course. Persia hates other cats. We all
know this. She'd pitch a fit if I brought another cat into the house. My
place isn't set up for "gradual integration". Not to mention, I just
boarded Persia for 3 months, I'm not about to get her all upset over this.

Another reason is the Judge Judy reference. I'm sure my nephew *thinks*
he's getting a settlement check this week. He may well be. But I sincerely
doubt it's going to be anything like what he's expecting. Most of you know,
a couple of years ago he was run over while riding his bicycle by an
uninsured, unlicensed, repeat offender driving a borrowed truck. How much
money can he possibly get from a deadbeat like that?! Probably not enough
to "ship" the cat to him. (I'd have no idea how to go about doing that.)

What I really see happening is my taking in Jupiter and since she's now
taken care of, nephew will happily forget all about her again. He'll just
expect me to keep her until such time as the next crisis (like me moving)
comes up.

BTW, this cat has never been to a vet since he got her from a shelter some 4
years ago. No shots, no nothing since then. And I'm supposed to bring her
into my home with Persia?! I don't think so! I don't have the money to get
her tested and shots and all that. I can barely do that with my precious
girl, let alone someone elses'. Let's not talk about food. It bugs me when
people say, "If you can afford one you can afford two." That's not
necessarily true. I know what I can afford. Two cats isn't it.

My mother is still pushing for me to come back to South Carolina NOW. I
don't know how long I'll be here myself. Forget about committing to taking
in his cat "for a few days" when I may well be in SC by next weekend myself.

I told him if he can't find someone else to take the cat with the ship-to
contingency, the Humane Society shelters are all over Shelby County and they
are no-kill facilities. He should tell his father to take the cat to the
shelter. Might have to shell out a few $ because they'll want to give the
cat shots, etc. but at least the cat won't be out on the street.

Jill

Old May 5th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I'm getting a settlement check probably by Friday. When I
get my settlement I'll send you the money so you can have my cat
shipped to me." [Suddenly I'm in the middle of a Judge Judy episode.]

I have always loved the "waiting for a settlement check" excuse even long
before Judge Judy came on TV.

The short answer to your long post is you did the right thing. Feel no
guilt.

ps: Love Judge Judy!
Old May 6th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"outsider" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I'm getting a settlement check probably by Friday. When I
get my settlement I'll send you the money so you can have my cat
shipped to me." [Suddenly I'm in the middle of a Judge Judy episode.]

I have always loved the "waiting for a settlement check" excuse even long
before Judge Judy came on TV.

The short answer to your long post is you did the right thing. Feel no
guilt.

ps: Love Judge Judy!

Waiting for a settlement check is even further out there than "I have a tax
refund coming and I'll pay you then"

And it really doesn't matter that it's your relative. All those idiots on
Judge Judy are somebody's relatives too.

You are doing the right thing. Its Persia you are responsible to. But you
know that.

Jo

Old May 6th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
"outsider" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I'm getting a settlement check probably by Friday. When I
get my settlement I'll send you the money so you can have my cat
shipped to me." [Suddenly I'm in the middle of a Judge Judy
episode.]

I have always loved the "waiting for a settlement check" excuse even
long before Judge Judy came on TV.

The short answer to your long post is you did the right thing. Feel
no guilt.

ps: Love Judge Judy!

Waiting for a settlement check is even further out there than "I have
a tax refund coming and I'll pay you then"

LOL So true! Reminds me of Wimpy in the old Popeye cartoons: "I will
gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." Uh huh.

And it really doesn't matter that it's your relative. All those
idiots on Judge Judy are somebody's relatives too.

Always relatives! Or boyfriend/girlfriends. I'm not gonna get myself into
that situation.

You are doing the right thing. Its Persia you are responsible to.
But you know that.

Jo

Yeah, I'm doing the right thing. He's probably feeling guilty because he
didn't do anything about the cat in all this time. But he can't foist her
off on me. I have no doubt I'd wind up with another cat. And while I love
cats, I've got enough to deal with.

Jill

Old May 6th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 5, 10:52*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Ack. That's about how I ended up with Bosley. If you take the kitty,
Jill, I suspect
he'd end up to be a permanent resident. I know your situation isn't
good to take on another cat. I think your suggestion to offer a good
donation with the cat is a good one. I'm surprised you all have so
many no-kill shelters. That's awesome. We don't have many, even in the
city, and they're always full and not taking in new cats.

Sherry
Old May 6th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Jo Firey" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I'm getting a settlement check probably by Friday. When I
get my settlement I'll send you the money so you can have my cat
shipped to me." [Suddenly I'm in the middle of a Judge Judy
episode.]

I have always loved the "waiting for a settlement check" excuse even
long before Judge Judy came on TV.

The short answer to your long post is you did the right thing. Feel
no guilt.

ps: Love Judge Judy!

Waiting for a settlement check is even further out there than "I have
a tax refund coming and I'll pay you then"

Yep, the amazing infinite refund check.