RIP Eight Belles

Old May 5th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

Default RIP Eight Belles

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
RIP for Eight Belles, the gallant filly who finished 2nd against the
boys in yesterday's Kentucky Derby, and came to such a tragic end.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...TS08/805040581

And someone started a candle group for her, nearly 400 candles from 6
countries as I type this:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...l=eng&gi=8bell

My Dad is here visiting right now, and he told me that when he saw this on
the news this morning in his hotel room, that he cried his eyes out.
Admitting that he cried about this moved me so much.

I just don't understand how a horse can be trained so hard that it would
break it's own ankles trying to win. So, so sad.

That part of their makeup has nothing to do with their training. It's the
Thoroughbred instinct to run, refined by generations of selective breeding
of horses who are fearless and highly competitive.
When running a race, a race horse gets a tremendous adrenaline rush which
can effectively mask the pain from injuries, until it's too late. And yes,
it's terribly, terribly sad.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old May 5th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=[_2_]

"Kreisleriana" ...

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~"
"Jeanne Hedge" RIP for Eight Belles, the gallant filly who finished
[...]

As a horse lover, since I was a kid, I read about this yesterday and I am so
saddedend by the tragic end to a beautiful animal, who is now galloping at
The Bridge. After reading the article, I was up crying most of the night.
My sincere condolances to her family
Love
Kyla & Mosey

Old May 5th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

They will blame everyone and everything before it is over but, if you have
ever seen one of these horses, and I have, you know they would run in their
knees if they thought they could pass the one in front. So so sad.
m...

Old May 5th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=[_2_]

[...]

I also love horses, since I was a kid, and I cried my eyes out all night
when I read this last night.
My love and prayers go to her family and those who loved her
Love
Kyla

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old May 5th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

That is just heartbreaking! Purrs for an easy passage to the bridge for
Eight Belles!

Hugs,

CatNipped

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
RIP for Eight Belles, the gallant filly who finished 2nd against the
boys in yesterday's Kentucky Derby, and came to such a tragic end.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...TS08/805040581

And someone started a candle group for her, nearly 400 candles from 6
countries as I type this:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...l=eng&gi=8bell

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old May 6th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On May 4, 8:29 pm, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message

.. .

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...D=/20080504/SP...

And someone started a candle group for her, nearly 400 candles from 6
countries as I type this:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...l=eng&gi=8bell

My Dad is here visiting right now, and he told me that when he saw this on
the news this morning in his hotel room, that he cried his eyes out.
Admitting that he cried about this moved me so much.

I just don't understand how a horse can be trained so hard that it would
break it's own ankles trying to win. So, so sad.

That part of their makeup has nothing to do with their training. It's the
Thoroughbred instinct to run, refined by generations of selective breeding
of horses who are fearless and highly competitive.
When running a race, a race horse gets a tremendous adrenaline rush which
can effectively mask the pain from injuries, until it's too late. And yes,
it's terribly, terribly sad.

It's very likely that it was the strain of trying to slow down and
stop that did it, after running so hard. She was a very big filly and
her legs just couldn't take the strain.

--
Will in New Haven
That big brown horse was just too fast. You did