KFC's peeing habits

Old June 25th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default KFC's peeing habits

My back door is open 24/7 so the cats can go outside to perform toilet
duties. It works well most of the time.
For the last few months Kitty has decided she can pee behind the woodburner.
The door was open only a few feet away from where she was in the kitchen but
she came into the lounge to go behind the woodburner. I noticed her and
rattled a stick on the stove to get her out from behind there which worked.
She shot out from there but must have been sitting down to wee as she only
managed to get into the kitchen before she let it all go.
I have no idea why she suddenly thinks it's ok to pee behind the woodburner.
She's done it for about a year now. There is plenty of loose soil (dirt) in
the garden which she has always used and does for her poos still, so she
hasn't forgotten.
I suppose she could be going a bit senile. She's really old.

Any ideas?

Tweed

Old June 25th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew" wrote in message
Block the burner off.

I can't. It's in an inglenook fireplace which has just enough room around
to let the fire function properly and it's my main source of heating.

spray some cat repellent spray back their.

Cat repellent? Please clue me in about what this is and how I can get it.

we have to deal with them how they come when they get that old

Absolutely. I am not in the least cross with her. I would just like any
tips to stop her peeing behind the woodburner if possible as it's very
difficult for me to clean behind it.
She knows she shouldn't do it. If I spot her going behind the woodburner I
say "Oy, Kitty, get OUTSIDE" and she does. If I don't notice her in time
it's too late and she has wee'ed.
She hasn't got a UTI. She is extraordinarally (sp? I know this isn't right)
well for such an old cat. I guess she is just too lazy to take herself
outside if she doesn't have to and why wouldn't she as she is getting on for
20.
It isn't a problem. When I had ancient dogs they used to pee on the carpet
all the time, so I stopped inviting people round who wouldn't understand.
They just forgot about their housetraining when they got really old, in
their late teens.

Tweed

Old June 25th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-24 19:12:40 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

well, she *is* old. Bladder just probably isn't what it once was. It's
just too bad there isn't someway to put a box near the burner.
Honestly, the age the vet thinks she is is like 100 to us. Poor KFC. I
hope her dignity is OK. Sometimes, that is very mortifying for a cat.

Old June 25th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew" wrote in message
Block the burner off.

I can't. It's in an inglenook fireplace which has just enough room around
to let the fire function properly and it's my main source of heating.

Yes you can try something like the screening you have on the front of a
fireplace think outside the box there is always a way to do something

spray some cat repellent spray back their.

Cat repellent? Please clue me in about what this is and how I can get it.

Any pet store has the repellent spray I use it on my christmas tree to keep
them off

we have to deal with them how they come when they get that old

Absolutely. I am not in the least cross with her. I would just like any
tips to stop her peeing behind the woodburner if possible as it's very
difficult for me to clean behind it.

Try urine gone www.urinegone.com it comes in a spray bottle you can
adjust the spray it works and it is cheap

She knows she shouldn't do it. If I spot her going behind the woodburner
I say "Oy, Kitty, get OUTSIDE" and she does. If I don't notice her in
time it's too late and she has wee'ed.
She hasn't got a UTI. She is extraordinarally (sp? I know this isn't
right) well for such an old cat. I guess she is just too lazy to take
herself outside if she doesn't have to and why wouldn't she as she is
getting on for 20.
It isn't a problem. When I had ancient dogs they used to pee on the
carpet all the time, so I stopped inviting people round who wouldn't
understand. They just forgot about their housetraining when they got
really old, in their late teens.

Tweed

People age differently so do cats haven't you ever met some one in the
20's who looked and acted like their 50's

Old June 25th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

How about putting some wadded up aluminum foil back there. That would sort
of block it off and maybe remind her it isn't as great a place as she
remembers.

We are working with a mule headed pup that we'd like to give free run of the
house now, but when we take her gate down she'd like us to believe the
living room carpet looks like the back yard.

I feel like I'm babysitting a toddler 14 hours a day.
Jo

Old June 25th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-24 19:12:40 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Quite true. I appreciate that this is the case. It doesn't explain why she
didn't just nip outside - which was nearer - rather than going into another
room to find the woodburner option.

It's
just too bad there isn't someway to put a box near the burner.

She wouldn't use it anyway even if there was a way to do it. She has never
used a litterbox in her life.

Honestly, the age the vet thinks she is is like 100 to us. Poor KFC. I
hope her dignity is OK. Sometimes, that is very mortifying for a cat.

Poor KFC? Her dignity is fine. She has huge self-esteem, she believes she
is the best cat in the whole world. Having a slight accident, toilet wise,
would not bother her in the slightest. She would probably point to it and
say "would you just clean that up, slave!"

Boyfie would be totally different, he would definitely be mortified.

Tweed

Old June 25th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

. com...

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought about that. I'll try it.

We are working with a mule headed pup that we'd like to give free run of
the house now, but when we take her gate down she'd like us to believe
the living room carpet looks like the back yard.

I feel like I'm babysitting a toddler 14 hours a day.
Jo

Housetraining not going well, then? :-( By her age she should be
perfectly clean and dry in the house. Hmmm. I'll give it some thought.
Tell me how you've tried to housetrain her up to now. I know you are a
very experienced dog owner and I'm not trying to teach my grandmother to
suck eggs, but I am an experienced dog owner too and it's just possible
that I could suggest something that you haven't tried yet.

She was fine from early on, but we've had a gate up that restricts her to
the kitchen, family room, and dinning area as well as her crate. There is a
sliding glass door into the back yard that is open if the weather is good
and that she asks us to open when she needs out otherwise. Usually if we
are up we are there with her. When we go to bed she goes in her crate and
if we leave she is either out in the yard or in the crate.

But we are getting tired of putting the gate up and down. Besides I like
her to come in where the computer is with me. I never dreamed she would
start to poop on the carpet. I caught her the third time so maybe we've put
a stop to it.

I know kids will test limits. But this dog puts every child I've ever met
to shame as far as limit testing goes.

This is a Border Collie. She knows exactly what she is doing.

Jo

Old June 25th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Gandalf" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 01:12:40 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

How about putting a small litter box with real dirt in it right by the
stove?

I would hope to avoid that if I can. It is my living room and it's only
12x12 and the woodburner is my whole heating system. The last thing I want
is warmed up cat piddle and poo scenting the house.

An older kitty may be getting bit a bit senile, and a bit
arthritic, so going outside is extra trouble and work for her(?)

Maybe. I'm closely monitoring her at the moment.

Long shot: a low grade UTI?

I don't think so. She was just hoping to get away with peeing behind the
woodburner without stirring herself to go out! That's the top and bottom of
it really.
She is a very old lady who thinks she can do exactly what she wants. She
has another think coming as she is absolutely not going to be allowed to pee
behind the woodburner when the door is open to the outside. No way at all.

Tweed

Old June 25th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew"

Try urine gone www.urinegone.com it comes in a spray bottle you can
adjust the spray it works and it is cheap

Cheaper on ebay.