Costco's Kirkland Cat Food = Premium Cat Food?

Old January 2nd 05, 07:48 PM

Default Costco's Kirkland Cat Food = Premium Cat Food?

All the books I read say that feeding your cat "premium cat food" is
essential. Would Costco's Kirkland brand cat food qualify as "premium"
cat food? Would my cat be better off with a brand name, like Iams?

What is the definition of "premium" cat food anyway? What should I be
looking for and what should I avoid at all costs?

-Fleemo

Old January 3rd 05, 08:55 AM
Jeffery P.

On 2 Jan 2005 10:48:30 -0800, wrote:

All the books I read say that feeding your cat "premium cat food" is
essential. Would Costco's Kirkland brand cat food qualify as "premium"
cat food? Would my cat be better off with a brand name, like Iams?

What is the definition of "premium" cat food anyway? What should I be
looking for and what should I avoid at all costs?

-Fleemo

I have been purchasing cat food from an independent distributor for
the last while and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. The brand
of food is called Riplees Ranch but I have never seen it in stores and
I believe it can be only bought from independant distributors.

I didnt think it would have made much difference until one of my cats
got loose from his leash and was taken into the local humane society.
When he was picked up and assessed by two vets at the shelter they
concluded that he was anywhere from 4 to 6 years old. My cat was
almost 12. When I found him at the shelter they were amazed at the
actual age of my kitty and asked what I was feeding him because
according to his coat, condition and teeth they would not have guessed
he could be any older than 6. They concluded that the food I was
feeding him really was making a difference and they tried the food for
themselves and concluded that it was indeed a better quality food than
the brand they were using at the time, and both have since changed
their food for their own pets. It is a little pricey compared to most
others out there, but as I had to find out the hard way, it is well
worth it.

Old January 3rd 05, 01:26 PM
PawsForThought

From: Jeffery P.

I have been purchasing cat food from an independent distributor for
the last while and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. The brand
of food is called Riplees Ranch but I have never seen it in stores and
I believe it can be only bought from independant distributors.

I never heard of this food so I went to a website and found this about their
cat food (I'm assuming this is a kibble, didn't see anything about a canned
food):

http://www.ripleesranch.com/USA/PetFoodProds.html

5) Original Formula Cat Food - For All Life Stages
Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat
Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (MIN.) 32.0%, Crude Fat (MIN.) 20.0%, Crude
Fibre (MAX.) 3.0%, Moisture (MAX.) 10.0%, Ash (MAX) 6.5%, Magnesium (MAX.)
0.09%.

6) Formula 32-10 Cat Food - For Overweight and Senior Cats
Chicken Meal, Brewer's Rice, Ground Corn, Chicken Fat
Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (MIN.) 32.0%, Crude Fat (MIN.) 10.0%, Crude
Fibre (MAX.) 3.0%, Moisture (MAX.) 10.0%, Ash (MAX.) 6.8%, Magnesium (MAX.)
0.09%.

Are these the only ingredients in the food? Is there any offal (things like
liver or heart)? I also didn't see anything about the proximate analysis, only
these minimums and maximums.
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old January 4th 05, 06:56 PM
Steve Crane

Costco Kirkland Signature bradn is made by Diamond. Diamond produces a
number of different foods. Diamond Chunks Brand, Nutra Nuggets,
Professional, Premium Edge, Chicken Soup, Bayer Healthy Life, Nutra
Gold (overseas only). Typically any "store brand" regardless of the
brand sold, - ABC grocery store, XYZ Feed Store brands etc, are at the
low end of the scale. The store seeks a low cost bidder for the
products. The Bayer Healthy Life product was analyzed a year ago and
found to contain about one third the vitamin E claimed/listed on the
label.

Old January 4th 05, 07:38 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the input here folks. Guess it's time to
find a new cat food for the fuzzy ones.

-F

Old January 5th 05, 12:46 PM
icedog

wrote in message
oups.com...
All the books I read say that feeding your cat "premium cat food" is
essential. Would Costco's Kirkland brand cat food qualify as "premium"
cat food? Would my cat be better off with a brand name, like Iams?

What is the definition of "premium" cat food anyway? What should I be
looking for and what should I avoid at all costs?

Despite the advertising blurb that 9/10 of cat owners who expressed a
preference say that their cats preferred it, our Chloe won't touch Whiskas,
tins or pouches. To judge by the smell, the whole factory output should be
quarantined.

"Premium" simply means "Added Cost."

I just remember someone saying "This Restaurant is the Best" and replying
"Yes, but the one we use is Better."

Icedog.

Old January 5th 05, 01:03 PM
Mary

"icedog" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
All the books I read say that feeding your cat "premium cat food" is
essential. Would Costco's Kirkland brand cat food qualify as "premium"
cat food? Would my cat be better off with a brand name, like Iams?

What is the definition of "premium" cat food anyway? What should I be
looking for and what should I avoid at all costs?

Despite the advertising blurb that 9/10 of cat owners who expressed a
preference say that their cats preferred it, our Chloe won't touch

Whiskas,
tins or pouches. To judge by the smell, the whole factory output should be
quarantined.

"Premium" simply means "Added Cost."

This just is not true. As has been said before, READ THE INGREDIENTS. My
cats only love Fancy Feast, but at least I know I am feeding them crap.
Whiskas is
crap, too. Wellness looked the best of the ones I have tried.