whats the best furniture for standing up to cat claws?

Old June 19th 05, 03:05 AM
RobR

Default whats the best furniture for standing up to cat claws?

my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

Old June 19th 05, 03:21 AM
biggerbadderbarry

RobR wrote:
my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

Maybe the real question is,

How do you teach the kitty not to scratch up things he is not supposed

If your going to throw the black leather out, maybe you could cut a big
peice off of it, especially where they've been scratching, then put
that onto a sturdy scratching post while they make the transition.

Old June 19th 05, 03:39 AM
PawsForThought

RobR wrote:
my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

Microfiber or any smooth surface is good. Don't get anything that has
a nubby or scratchy texture as that will attract the cats. While
you're getting new furniture, why not invest in a nice floor to ceiling
cat tree?

Lauren

Old June 19th 05, 04:56 AM

"PawsForThought" wrote:

Microfiber or any smooth surface is good. Don't get anything that has
a nubby or scratchy texture as that will attract the cats. While
you're getting new furniture, why not invest in a nice floor to ceiling
cat tree?

I'd imagine micro fiber has one bad trait and that is its inability to
self seal puncture holes. Such as from back claws that a cat launching
off could cause. Stab a needle in the fabric sample swatches at the
furniture store to find out for sure.

-mhd
Old June 19th 05, 05:52 AM
Mary

"RobR" wrote in message
my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

Rob--my heavy couch scratchers quit after I bought them the
Alpine Scratcher. I have several. The cats like it better as it is on
a slant. It is $10-15 bucks at Petsmart or you can get it he

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

There is a dangling mousie in the hole under the scratcher!
Catnip for rubbing on the pad is included and very potent!
You can buy refills as the mats wear down, too. Try it
before you get the new couch, see if they prefer it to
the old couch. You might be able to get them trained.

Old June 19th 05, 12:00 PM
RobR

the cats dont intentionally scratch the furniture, its just wear from their
rear claws when launching off the couches.

Old June 19th 05, 03:47 PM
Spot

I found that my cats won't even get onto my leather couch unless it is
covered with a blanket. Now the dog just loves it so I do keep a blanket on
the seat and one thrown over the back. We've had it for almost 3 years now
and I have maybe 3 tiny scratches that I have found so far. If I had my way
all my furniture would be leather. It just stands up better.

Celeste

Old June 19th 05, 04:28 PM
PawsForThought

Mary wrote:
Rob--my heavy couch scratchers quit after I bought them the
Alpine Scratcher. I have several. The cats like it better as it is on
a slant. It is $10-15 bucks at Petsmart or you can get it he

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

My cats love their Alpine Scratcher! You can get replacement pads for
it too.

Lauren

Old June 19th 05, 05:56 PM
Mary

"RobR" wrote in message
the cats dont intentionally scratch the furniture, its just wear from

their
rear claws when launching off the couches.

Ahh, I see! We have a great thick blend fabric on our couch that
does not show any holes at all. In fact, a natural fabric or blend
with a looser weave (not totally smooth) might be what you want.

"RobR" wrote in message
my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

Scratching furniture is too fun Takayuki Cat anecdotes 7 May 13th 05 04:34 AM
Scratching furniture B G Cat health & behaviour 26 July 15th 04 12:05 PM
Lounge furniture KC Cats - misc 8 May 25th 04 11:15 AM
Cats and New Furniture Gizela Cat anecdotes 5 October 11th 03 01:11 PM
cat scratching furniture [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 19 July 16th 03 11:53 PM