Earthquake in LA!

Old July 30th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Earthquake in LA!

AZ Nomad wrote:

Last year I was sitting at my computer when I felt a brief, but rather
violent quake. I immediately looked it up on the USGS site, where I was
surprised (and a bit embarrassed) to discover that it was only a 3.2.

I'm surprised you made such a big deal over it. When I lived in
Orange Country, I experienced numerous 4.x quakes with the epicenter
within 2 miles of me.

Well, gee thanks for the sympathy!

My favorite type was when the ground would fall 5-10 feet and then do nothing
else.

The one I was talking about did the opposite: the ground (actually, the
floor, or the chair I was sitting on) suddenly jolted *up*. It was weird.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 30th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

The one we had here in Illinois a few months ago may not have been "a big
deal" but it shook the bed so hard, I nearly rolled out and when I put out
my hand to steady things, everything else was moving too. Big or small they
get your attention.

Old July 30th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:19:01 -0500, Granby wrote:
The one we had here in Illinois a few months ago may not have been "a big
deal" but it shook the bed so hard, I nearly rolled out and when I put out
my hand to steady things, everything else was moving too. Big or small they
get your attention.

They made me a bit paranoid always expecting the "big one". I haven't felt
an earthquake since I left CA in 1991. There were stories back then
that the big san andreus quake, every 140 years or so, was coming any
minute

Now I'm living in hell, in the phoenix area. I'd trade if for CA any
day, if the cost of living weren't so high.
Old July 30th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:

Last year I was sitting at my computer when I felt a brief, but rather
violent quake. I immediately looked it up on the USGS site, where I was
surprised (and a bit embarrassed) to discover that it was only a 3.2.

I'm surprised you made such a big deal over it. When I lived in
Orange Country, I experienced numerous 4.x quakes with the epicenter
within 2 miles of me.

Well, gee thanks for the sympathy!

My favorite type was when the ground would fall 5-10 feet and then do
nothing
else.

The one I was talking about did the opposite: the ground (actually, the
floor, or the chair I was sitting on) suddenly jolted *up*. It was weird.

--
Joyce ^..^

That did sound weird. Incidentally, I didn't think you made a big deal of
it. You reported it in a matter-of-fact manner. When I felt the one today,
I turned on the radio to find out where the epicenter was and what the
magnitude was. That's a natural reaction.

Joy

Old July 30th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Jul 29, 9:44*pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

Joy- Hide quoted text -

Earthquakes always startle me, even if they're short little jolts
that do no damage, so you're not alone, Joyce. Not necessarily scared
of the little jolts, but there's always that little adrenaline rush
when I wonder if it's just the warm up act for legendary "Big One"
The prospect of which DOES scare me.

Biggest one I've experienced so far was the Loma Prieta Quake in 1989.
That was a very loooong fifteen seconds! The earth stopped shaking a
long time before I did.

But incidentally, I'm about 400 miles north and didn't feel a thing.
So all's well where I am. For the moment.

Melissa
Old July 30th 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Shiral" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 9:44 pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

***

Wasn't that the one that damaged the bridge so seriously? I can imagine
that it would have been upsetting.

Joy

Old July 30th 08, 11:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Joy wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On 29 Jul 2008 23:34:50 GMT,
wrote:
Jeanne wrote:

I'm laughing a bit - we had a 3.(something) in Indiana earlier this
year, and everyone was freaking out (we just don't get them here).
In California, they don't even notice them.

Unless the epicenter is right underneath you.

Last year I was sitting at my computer when I felt a brief, but
rather violent quake. I immediately looked it up on the USGS site,
where I was surprised (and a bit embarrassed) to discover that it
was only a 3.2. OK, there was no damage, and I still had electric
power, but it was quite a jolt. I was redeemed a bit when I saw
that the epicenter was less than a kilometer from my apartment building!

Purrs for east-LA'ers!

Also: the first 5.x+ earthquake I experienced was at night and I
recall yelling at the housemates that I was sleeping keep it down!
Bed's headboard was bashing against the wall....

When the 1971 Sylmar quake hit (It was a 6.6), I was in bed. My
husband was sitting on the side of the bed, putting on his socks. I
got annoyed with him for shaking the bed.

Joy

My younger sister was in Iceland a few months ago when they had a 5.5
earthquake, she gave her boyfriend a slap for shaking the table.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 30th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 29, 9:06*pm, wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

* Last year I was sitting at my computer when I felt a brief, but rather
* violent quake. I immediately looked it up on the USGS site, where I was
* surprised (and a bit embarrassed) to discover that it was only a 3.2.

* I'm surprised you made such a big deal over it. *When I lived in
* Orange Country, I experienced numerous 4.x quakes with the epicenter
* within 2 miles of me.

Well, gee thanks for the sympathy!

* My favorite type was when the ground would fall 5-10 feet and then do nothing
* else.

The one I was talking about did the opposite: the ground (actually, the
floor, or the chair I was sitting on) suddenly jolted *up*. It was weird.

--
Joyce * ^..^

Any of that is still creepy beyond belief to me. Give me tornadoes any
day.
I can deal with that. It's something you can *get away from*. Not
earthquakes!
I heard someone quoted as saying, WRT this earthquake, "Think of it as
practice for "the big one" which is eventually coming.''
I distinctly remember in 8th grade science class (yes, many moons
ago)....the
instructor was talking about the imminent "big one" in which
California
would surely fall off into the ocean. :-)
Sherry

Earthquake this morning! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 45 July 25th 07 08:58 PM
Baby earthquake [email protected] Cat anecdotes 6 August 4th 06 07:51 AM
Sumatra Earthquake! Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 1 July 6th 05 12:57 PM
Earthquake Bev Cat anecdotes 27 September 18th 04 11:32 PM
California Earthquake Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 8 December 23rd 03 11:16 AM