Speaking of Microchips...

Old August 3rd 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Speaking of Microchips...

kilikini wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
kilikini wrote:
Sherry wrote:
On Aug 2, 7:09?am, "jmcquown" wrote:
If your cat is chipped (Persia is even though she's an indoor
cat) and you move, even temporarily, please remember to
update the information so the chip scan will be accurate.

Jill

Very good info. When I helped at the shelter, I remember when we
would find a
chipped dog/cat, then find out the address/phone number wasn't
current for the owners.
It makes the chip just worthless if they don't update when they
move. Sherry

I'm just curious. How do you update the chip? Is it through a
computer or does the chip need to be rescanned with the current
information? Is the pet assigned a number and the information is
easily changed? Sorry, I don't know!

kili

The chip has an ID number associated with it. The ID number is tied
to your pet's name, your name & address information in their
computer system (in Persia's case she's registered with the AKC -
akccar.org). I updated her information via their web site. I also
updated the secondary contact info, since it wouldn't do them any
good to call my brother if Persia (Bast forbid!) goes missing here
in SC. Of course I neglected to bring the ID info with me (she
doesn't wear that particular tag on her collar but the one she has
does indicate she's chipped). I had to call her vet to get them to
give me the ID from her medical records.
On a similar note, I got a vet recommendation from the neighbor and
had Persia's vet fax all her records and a "prescription" for her
food. This will ensure I can call and have them order her food
without her first having to be seen. And of course if she needs to
be seen (or boarded!) they have all her information, including shot
records, on hand.
Jill

Thanks, Jill! That was really helpful. I need to get mine chipped,
but things have been a little crazy around here for the past few
years. I was really curious how it all worked.

kili

Of course you can also update the information over the phone and by snail
mail. There *are* people who don't have computers

Jill

Old August 3rd 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Of course you can also update the information over the phone and by
snail mail. There *are* people who don't have computers

Jill

Frightening!

Old August 3rd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

I think most of the vets & shelters out there are aware there is more than
one kind of chip and do what they can to make allowances for it. Maybe they
share scanners with area vets or something? A standard, worldwide, would be
nice!

Jill

There is no reason that there isn't, other than short-sightedness on the
part of the manufacturers. Europe has a standard, but it was the 3rd
introduced to the US and is the least-used here.
Old August 3rd 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

outsider wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Of course you can also update the information over the phone and by
snail mail. There *are* people who don't have computers

Jill

Frightening!

Even more frightening, a couple of people where I live BOUGHT computers
(nearly three months ago) at the insistence of family members. Neither
has even got hers hooked up yet (even for off-line purposes), much less
connected to the internet!
Old August 3rd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Even more frightening, a couple of people where I live BOUGHT computers
(nearly three months ago) at the insistence of family members. Neither
has even got hers hooked up yet (even for off-line purposes), much less
connected to the internet!

Evelyn, you'll just have to be the resident guru.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 4th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
outsider wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Of course you can also update the information over the phone and
by snail mail. There *are* people who don't have computers

Jill

Frightening!

Even more frightening, a couple of people where I live BOUGHT
computers (nearly three months ago) at the insistence of family
members. Neither has even got hers hooked up yet (even for off-line
purposes), much less connected to the internet!

My brother kept saying he was going to get a cheap PC for my parents so they
could learn to do email, etc. I know a lot of elderly people who are quite
computer saavy. Mine wouldn't have bothered. It would have been just
another thing to dust.

John doesn't want to know anything about computers and that's a good thing
I do not have the patience to teach. (I still have no idea how I was so
good at telephonic tech support for so many years, although you can put
people on hold while you scream!)

Jill

Old August 5th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 07:35:04 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
outsider wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

I gave my parents a computer, but, as far as I know, neither one of them
ever turned it on. On the other hand, my father's older brother loved
sending and receiving email messages. He kept it up until his eyesight
finally got too bad to allow reading the screen.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from