I know I named him Bruiser but...

Old August 15th 03, 04:13 AM
John Biltz

Default I know I named him Bruiser but...

My chest and stomach are very sore. Bruiser likes to knead. He always
has but since I came back from vacation he seems almost obsessed with it.
If he jumps up on me he starts kneading. My chest and stomach have
spots on them that hurt when I just touch them. I have had to start
putting him down as soon as he starts, it is just too painful. The only
other alternative I can think of is trimming his claws. I hate to do
that on an outdoor cat because he may need all the claw he has. I guess
the name Bruiser really fits.

Old August 15th 03, 04:38 AM
Byron & Christine Burel

"John Biltz" wrote in message
thlink.net...
My chest and stomach are very sore. Bruiser likes to knead. He always
has but since I came back from vacation he seems almost obsessed with it.
If he jumps up on me he starts kneading. My chest and stomach have
spots on them that hurt when I just touch them. I have had to start
putting him down as soon as he starts, it is just too painful. The only
other alternative I can think of is trimming his claws. I hate to do
that on an outdoor cat because he may need all the claw he has. I guess
the name Bruiser really fits.

John, maybe you should keep a blanket handy to absorb those claws. Midnight
does this to me although not as persistently and we call her "claws o'
death" as her claws are just very sharp. I usually try to pad myself with
something if I sit down on the sofa!
Christine

Old August 15th 03, 05:38 AM

I have three it is a lot of fun at 5AM when they get "in the mood"
Old August 15th 03, 05:53 AM
Jo Firey

wrote in message
news
I have three it is a lot of fun at 5AM when they get "in the mood"

Jake is the same way. He is at his worst if I'm wearing something fuzzy. He has a
favorite sweater and a favorite bathrobe. I try not to be available with the
sweater, and the robe is thick enough to absorb the claws.

Jo

Old August 15th 03, 07:53 AM
Yoj

"John Biltz" wrote in message
thlink.net...
My chest and stomach are very sore. Bruiser likes to knead. He

always
has but since I came back from vacation he seems almost obsessed with

it.
If he jumps up on me he starts kneading. My chest and stomach have
spots on them that hurt when I just touch them. I have had to start
putting him down as soon as he starts, it is just too painful. The

only
other alternative I can think of is trimming his claws. I hate to do
that on an outdoor cat because he may need all the claw he has. I

guess
the name Bruiser really fits.

Trimming his claws could be doing him a favor. I get reminded to trim
my (indoor/outdoor) cats' claws periodically when they get a claw caught
on something.

Joy

Old August 15th 03, 04:42 PM
Seth Armstrong

I have a cat that does the same thing. The only one of the three who
does that. I know what you're talking about, it really does hurt. I
don't mind if, say, it's winter and I'm wrapped up in a blanket. But
otherwise... I have no idea why he does it. Btw, his name is "Pudge"
because even as a kitten he looked like he had a pot belly. Got him
from the Humane Society. Kind of a weird cat in many other ways too.

Old August 15th 03, 08:43 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Angela Ryan wrote:

I am glad my Gizmo isn't the only cat that does this....she has always done
it... I thought it was a neurotic thing....

Does anyone know why they do it?

Contentment, of course! Kittens knead the mother to obtain milk, which
provides them with a feeling of well-being and contentment. So in later
life, they associate that contented feeling with the physical action,
and when they're feeling happy and content, they "knead". (They aren't
so different from humans in associating activities with expressions of
feelings.)
Old August 15th 03, 09:15 PM
Brenda Watkins

"John Biltz" wrote in message
thlink.net...
My chest and stomach are very sore. Bruiser likes to knead. He always
has but since I came back from vacation he seems almost obsessed with it.
If he jumps up on me he starts kneading. My chest and stomach have
spots on them that hurt when I just touch them. I have had to start
putting him down as soon as he starts, it is just too painful. The only
other alternative I can think of is trimming his claws. I hate to do
that on an outdoor cat because he may need all the claw he has. I guess
the name Bruiser really fits.

I can relate! Emily and Pea are both enthusiastic kneaders, and see to it
that their meowmie gets lots of kitty massages regularly.
Brenda