Vet Tech Journals: Ow......

Old March 31st 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Default Vet Tech Journals: Ow......

I've been dealing with a crick in my neck that i've been suffering
with since Sunday.

So this morning I wake up in a lot of pain, and yet I dragged my butt
into the car and drove to work.

Then I see down the busy street I'm on, two people jaywalking (on a
busy street during morning rush hour, the pieces of &*%@). The three
cars in front of me are slowing down. Suddenly the car in front of me
stops so i slam on the brakes.

Luckily, I didn't hit him. I let out a breath and think

'Whew! Well at least I didn't......'

(SCREEEEEECH!!!!! BAM!!!!!!!)

Yep, I got rear-ended. Fortunately since my foot was on the brake, i
instinctly pushed on it harder and didn't hit the guy in front of
ME.

The guy behind me and I pulled out and over to the side of the road.
When I get out, he asks if i'm ok and he says he was rear-ended and
pushed into me.
We look around and the third car is nowhere to be seen.
great..........

Yes my neck hurts, however since it was hurting anyway, it was kinda
hard to tell if was from sleeping wrong or from the accident. We
called the police, since it was a hit and run, and after an hour and
fifteen minutes I see three police cars pull up in front of the
apartment building across the street. They were there on another
matter and i had to shout to get there attention. They knew nothing
about a call for a hit and run, but one of the officers (who looked
like he had better things to do) took our info and filed a police
report.

So i finally got to work, about two hours late, and tried to go about
my business. I took 4 ibuprofen, but as the day went on my neck got
my and more uncomfortable. It got to the point where it felt like
someone had stuck an ice pick into my neck and broken off the tip.

It also felt like i had ants crawling up my spinal cord in my neck.
It was more uncomfortable and getting more painful. So in a sense
even though my neck was messed up to begin with, getting rear-ended
make it worse.

Sooooooo, after a long day at work, i go and sit for 45 min in traffic
and head to the doctor. Now i know how the animals feel when the
doctors palpate for pain and the dog cries out.

"Relax your head, does this hurt?"
"Ow!"
"Okay, how about this?"
"OWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!"

The doctor said i was suffering from muscle spasms in my neck and told
me to use Icy Hot, a heating pad and prescribed me some muscle
relaxers. She also said that i needed to take some time off of work.
I told her i needed to work, since i needed the money. She then
reccommended i take the day off tomorrow. It would leave me Sat and
Sun to rest my neck and i should be better by Monday. She also warned
me that the meds might make me loopy and I shouldn't drive while on
them.

So I have a doctor's note and tomorrow morning I need to call Dr. S
and let him know what's up. Everyone knew that i was in a car
accident and that my neck was hurting. I have a tube of Icy Hot and i
bought a heating pad for tonight.

Urgh.................

Oh and you know what the really weird part of the whole day was?

While the police officer was taking down the info for the report,
suddenly this dog appears out of nowhere and walks up to the officer
and then to me, wagging his tail.

Huh? I grab a slip leash from my car and slip it onto him. I give
him a once over. The dog is a Pointer mix, not neutered, and not even
a collar. But he was quite friendly.

Even the officer thought he was cute. After we filed the report he
walked around to a few of the houses and asked about the dog. One of
the neighbors said that the dog had been running around the
neighborhood for months, but had never seen an owner or anything.

Oh great. So this dog could be someone's pet that just runs around
the neighborhood, or could just be a stray.

Well I couldn't leave him there, and the officer didn't want to have
to call Animal Control and have him taken to a shelter. So I called
work and asked if i could bring him in.

Five minutes later I'm shoving this dog (who btw is also covered in
fleas) into my backseat. The dog also tugged at the leash when i
tried to walk him. The poor dog probably had never been leash
trained. He also started shaking and had his tail between his legs
when i brought him in. Poor guy.

I sent a fecal sample off to the lab. gave him some deworming pills,
and one of the groomers gave him a good bath and put on Frontline to
kill any remaining fleas,

The next step is of course to find this owner. The dog isn't
malnourished and from his personality, he seems to really like
people. So it is possible that this dog has an owner. But if he
does, it's certainly an owner who doesn't seem to really care about
the dog. No collar, no license or ID, no microchip and the dog isn't
even neutered.

So my plan is to make some flyers with the dogs picture and post them
around the neighborhood where i found him and see if he has an
owner.

It's a weird position to be in right now, cause for all I know, this
dog got out of the yard and was just wandering about. And his owner
might be worried sick cause their dog didn't come home tonight.

However, on the other hand, what was I supposed to do? Just let the
dog go and run off without a leash, collar or ID? And if I didn't do
anything, the police officer was going to call Animal Control. The
officer was actually glad that i was a vet tech and was willing to
take him to my clinic to at least get him checked out and get him off
the streets.

So purrs that I find the dog's owner and if not, purrs that this dog
can find a home. And also purrs for my neck.

Ugh, i'm gonna go sleep now.

Old March 31st 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way. It sounds to me as though you had a rough week, all
in one day. I hope they find the rear-ender, or at least that you and the
other person have good insurance. I also hope the dog finds its home,
whether it had one before or not. If it did have an owner, maybe this will
be a wake-up call. If not, I hope somebody wants him.

I hope you actually get some rest during your three days off, and that your
neck feels better soon.

--
Joy

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an
empty desk? -- Jay Brand, cognitive psychologist

oups.com...

Old March 31st 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Mischief wrote:
I've been dealing with a crick in my neck that i've been suffering
with since Sunday.

snip

What a day! Purrs for your neck and purrs for the dog to find his way home
or find a new home. Was there much damage to your car?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 31st 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Mischief wrote:
cars in front of me are slowing down. Suddenly the car in front of me
stops so i slam on the brakes.

Luckily, I didn't hit him. I let out a breath and think

'Whew! Well at least I didn't......'

(SCREEEEEECH!!!!! BAM!!!!!!!)

Yep, I got rear-ended. Fortunately since my foot was on the brake, i
instinctly pushed on it harder and didn't hit the guy in front of
ME.

Oh man! That bites! I saw the same thing happen. There was a cop writing
up the accident report of a rear-ender up ahead (I wasn't in that lane) and
as I approached another car didn't notice the one in front of it was
stopped. WAMMO! And then again, WAMMO! As I went past the cop I stuck my
arm out the window and yelled "You've got two more right back there!"

[...]

Purrs for the dog to find its home again and purrs for your neck. At my
last apartment complex there was a family with a purebred Springer spaniel.
They were (apparently) too lazy to walk him so they just opened the door and
let him go. My dog, Sampson (RB) was terrified of other dogs and this
spaniel was forever running up the stairs to my building just as I was ready
to take Sammy for his walk. And I'd have to delay his walk because of this
loose dog running around. When I confronted the owners it was yet again a
case of "oh, he just gets out". Gets out my ass! You *let* him out,
without even a collar on! And yes, I WILL call Animal Control if you don't
stop doing it. He was a friendly dog, yes, but he was also 4 times bigger
than Sampson and Sammy was scared to death of him. I can't tell you how
many times the poor guy just had to "hold it" because this dog was running
around.

I had a pinched nerve which totally did me in for a week. One morning I
woke up and simply could not turn my head in any direction. I hadn't done
anything at all, certainly no case of whiplash. I just couldn't move my
head. And there wasn't a thing they could do about it other than what you
said; heating pad, rest. But the other weird thing is the same thing
happened to my brother less than a month later. He woke up and couldn't
turn his head. I had to drive him to the doctor and he came out wearing the
equivalent of a hoomin e-collar LOL I don't really know why since he
couldn't turn his head anyway. Would have looked good in court, I suppose,
if there were someone to sue. But there wasn't. Like me, he just woke up
that way one morning.

Renewed purrs for you and for the dog to get back home.

Jill

Old March 31st 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...

So purrs that I find the dog's owner and if not, purrs that this dog
can find a home. And also purrs for my neck.

Ugh, i'm gonna go sleep now.

Get plenty of rest and we'll all send purrs and healing wishes for you, your
car, and the d-thing. You're a good woman Kristi.

Pam S.

Old March 31st 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gabey8

Purrs for you to feel better ASAP and for either the dog's family to be
reunited with him (if he has one), or for him to be adopted by people
who'll spoil him rotten and keep him from wandering the streets.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old March 31st 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:51:11 -0400, Mischief wrote:

I've been dealing with a crick in my neck that i've been suffering
with since Sunday.

snip
Urgh.................

Oh and you know what the really weird part of the whole day was?

While the police officer was taking down the info for the report,
suddenly this dog appears out of nowhere and walks up to the officer
and then to me, wagging his tail.

snip again
So purrs that I find the dog's owner and if not, purrs that this dog
can find a home. And also purrs for my neck.

Ugh, i'm gonna go sleep now.

possibly more snippage

An ordeal, to be sure, but think what might have happened if you didn't get
delayed long enough to take in and take care of the doggy?

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old March 31st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

I own a Buick. It's a hand me down from my grandparents. Since i've
owned it I've been rearended 2-3 times and only on this time was there
any noticable damage. That car is a TANK!

There are some paint scratches and a small dent, ironically right over
a sticker of the US flag that my grandfather put on to cover up
another scratch.

I'd probably leave it, but Triple A says they'd pay to have it replace
at no charge to me due to my policy. I'll wait until next week to
take care of that.

But the car is a tank, I tell you.

Kristi

Old March 31st 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
I own a Buick. It's a hand me down from my grandparents. Since i've
owned it I've been rearended 2-3 times and only on this time was there
any noticable damage. That car is a TANK!

There is an old Buick in the Stephanie Plum novels that has the same
characteristics that you're talking about. The first book in the series is
"One For the Money" I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Uncle Sandor's
Buick shows up in the second book. She destroys vehicles left and right but
Uncle Sandor's Buick never gets damaged. It is also a TANK, Stephanie hates
it.

Pam S. laughing at the memory. I love those books

Old March 31st 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Mischief wrote:

I own a Buick... ...That car is a TANK!

Here in the UK, we do things on a smaller scale - where my Volvo estate
(station waggon) is considered to be a tank :-)

However, even Volvo's dont stand up to being rear-ended by a bus :-(

--
MatSav