Purrs for an online friend now RB

Old April 2nd 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Purrs for an online friend now RB

Bob Pastorio, long time poster to rec.food.cooking (and several other groups
I never frequented) passed away this afternoon. He was diagnosed with liver
cancer last year and vanished from the ng's around that time. His wife
reported he lapsed into unconsciousness yesterday and never woke up again.
This afternoon he simply slipped away. She thinks he was at peace and not
in pain. He had a hospice care nurse in the house but they chose to keep
him at home in his last months. He was surrounded by family (he has a 15
year old daughter) at the time of his passing. Purrs to ease his trip to
the RB and purrs to ease the grief of his family would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Jill

Old April 2nd 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Apr 1, 7:30 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Bob Pastorio, long time poster to rec.food.cooking (and several other groups
I never frequented) passed away this afternoon. He was diagnosed with liver
cancer last year and vanished from the ng's around that time. His wife
reported he lapsed into unconsciousness yesterday and never woke up again.
This afternoon he simply slipped away. She thinks he was at peace and not
in pain. He had a hospice care nurse in the house but they chose to keep
him at home in his last months. He was surrounded by family (he has a 15
year old daughter) at the time of his passing. Purrs to ease his trip to
the RB and purrs to ease the grief of his family would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Jill

Poor Bob, and his poor family. A hard way to say farewell to the
world. I hope his wife and daughter will find comfort, somehow for
their grief.

Melissa

Old April 2nd 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
PatM

On Apr 2, 12:08 am, "Shiral" wrote:
[...]

Always so hard. I have 2 friends now dealing with cancer. Fortunate
that he had family with him, that cared for him, and that they had
time to make plans and say goodbyes. A prayer in my heart for them.

PatM

Old April 2nd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bob Pastorio, long time poster to rec.food.cooking (and several other
groups
I never frequented) passed away this afternoon. He was diagnosed with
liver
cancer last year and vanished from the ng's around that time. His wife
reported he lapsed into unconsciousness yesterday and never woke up again.
This afternoon he simply slipped away. She thinks he was at peace and not
in pain. He had a hospice care nurse in the house but they chose to keep
him at home in his last months. He was surrounded by family (he has a 15
year old daughter) at the time of his passing. Purrs to ease his trip to
the RB and purrs to ease the grief of his family would be appreciated.
Thanks.

This is what Rob and I want. Him to fall asleep at home and wake up in the
next world. Purrs for his family and friends from all of us here.

Pam S.

Old April 2nd 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 21:30:45 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Bob Pastorio, long time poster to rec.food.cooking (and several other groups
I never frequented) passed away this afternoon. He was diagnosed with liver
cancer last year and vanished from the ng's around that time. His wife
reported he lapsed into unconsciousness yesterday and never woke up again.
This afternoon he simply slipped away. She thinks he was at peace and not
in pain. He had a hospice care nurse in the house but they chose to keep
him at home in his last months. He was surrounded by family (he has a 15
year old daughter) at the time of his passing. Purrs to ease his trip to
the RB and purrs to ease the grief of his family would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Jill

Purrs for Bob and his family.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 2nd 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Tanada wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bob Pastorio, long time poster to rec.food.cooking (and several other
groups
I never frequented) passed away this afternoon. He was diagnosed
with liver
cancer last year and vanished from the ng's around that time. His
wife reported he lapsed into unconsciousness yesterday and never
woke up again. This afternoon he simply slipped away.

This is what Rob and I want. Him to fall asleep at home and wake up
in the next world. Purrs for his family and friends from all of us
here.

It's so sad to think of losing Rob. I feel like I know him. But yes, this
is the best possible way to go if you must. Please know you have all the
purrs Persia, the rumble-bug! and I (I'm a Leo) are able to rev up for all
of you.

Jill

Old April 2nd 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gabey8

Plenty of purrs and prayers are on the way for him and his family and
friends!

I can empathize with feeling real loss when misfortune strikes people we
meet online; April 1 was the first anniversary of the passing of someone
who founded an active website for Philadelphia sports fans. Some of us
were fortunate enough to meet him face to face over the years. When he
succumbed to lympoma at age 32 last year, there were a LOT of tears shed.
by a lot of people.

I tip my cap to the good people who've left us too soon, be they online
friends or known to us face-to-face. Our lives were made better for our
having known them.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old April 3rd 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
Bob Pastorio, long time poster to rec.food.cooking (and several other
groups I never frequented) passed away this afternoon.

Jill

Obit:

Born in New Brunswick, N.J., Bob graduated with a degree in English from
Rutgers University. During the first half of his life, he briefly supported
himself as a musician (playing guitar with the Chad Mitchell Trio, among
other gigs,) he worked as a professional photographer, he earned an MBA and
visited or lived in about 60 countries while an international marketing
manager for Westinghouse.

He left the corporate world in the 1970s, and after professional training,
ran his own and others' restaurants, ranging from fast food to
white-tablecloth operations offering international cuisine as well as
resorts and country clubs. He also wrote more than 1,500 articles, some of
which were picked up by the Los Angeles Times Syndicate, the New York Times
Syndicate and slick, full-color national and regional magazines like USAir
and The Virginian.

He wrote seven entries in the new Oxford University Press Encyclopedia of
Food and Drink in America.

Both of Bob's WSVA Harrisonburg radio programs, one call-in and one
scripted, centered around food, cooking and culinary wisdom and foolishness.
He made periodic appearances on commercial and PBS television stations,
taught cooking classes at various schools and universities and catered
private occasions for the last 20 years. He had a long-time love of bonsai
and treated his trees like artwork. His lifelong desire was to be one of the
first tourists on the moon.

Bob is survived by wife, Carol Thomas; daughters, Robin Pastorio-Newman and
Carin Rencher, both of New Jersey; and Carla Pastorio of Swoope; a son James
Pastorio of Los Angeles; six grandchildren; a sister, Gloria Bernard, also
of New Jersey; and friends around the world who filled the last weeks of his
life with joy and laughter.

Old April 6th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

jmcquown wrote:

Bob Pastorio, long time poster to rec.food.cooking (and several other groups
I never frequented) passed away this afternoon. He was diagnosed with liver
cancer last year and vanished from the ng's around that time. His wife
reported he lapsed into unconsciousness yesterday and never woke up again.
This afternoon he simply slipped away. She thinks he was at peace and not
in pain. He had a hospice care nurse in the house but they chose to keep
him at home in his last months. He was surrounded by family (he has a 15
year old daughter) at the time of his passing. Purrs to ease his trip to
the RB and purrs to ease the grief of his family would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Jill

Lots and lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek