invasion of the flies (GW)

Old August 11th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Default invasion of the flies (GW)

Okay gross warning here.

Ok, I'm not too picky about insects in general. They are part of hte
earth, the food chain, etc.

But I have a strict rule. You, the insect, come into my home, you are
forfeiting your life.

Now occasionally I'll have the fly that snuck in thorugh an open door
or something, and the cats are amused by it. They'll be lying around
when suddenly their ears will perked up and they'll start following
something. I've even seen the occasional cat jump up and try to smack
the fly-by-insect.

But imagine my surprise when I'm in the living room and see a fly and
when i stand up to look for a magazine to swat it, I see not one, not
two, but at least TEN flies buzzing around the living room and
kitchen.

Talk about major EEEW!!!! I did the dishes, cleaned the litter box,
took out the garbage, etc.

I managed to kill most of them, and ending up breaking a lampshade in
the process.

Ick...

So I woke up, went to work today and made a note to check the living
room when i got home.

So imagine my surprise when i come home and found a LOT more flies in
my living room. When I turned on the light they swirled around it.

I'm sorry but I was THOROUGHLY grossed out. The last time i saw this
many flies in one place was when i was in RVT school on the FARM!!!

I immediately ran back out of the apartment and to the nearest OSH
hardware and came back with some rubber gloves and a flyjar. The
plastic jar has fly bait in it and is activated when you add water. I
filled it up, put it by the lamp with the broken shade where all the
flies were congregating and invited the flies to their new home.

I started to check the corners of the living room but there are so
many flies i don't even wanna begin tonight. I have no idea where
they are coming from especially since i just cleaned out the obviously
smelly areas. And I checked all the window screens.

OH and meanwhile, the cats seem amused by all these flying toys.
Especially when one gets close enough to swat. Especially Imp, who
likes bugs. I've shut the door to the back room but there's at least
one fly buzzing around. Imp is on full alert mode and is canvassing
the ceiling for it. Mischief is also on alert and looking around

DEATH TO FLIES!!!

Ugh, I need a drink......

Kristi

Old August 11th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:30:29 -0700, Mischief wrote:

[...]

I share your horror of flies. A quick and effective way to get them out
is to darken the room (if you can) and leave one source of light --
like a window. They will fly to the light source and then you can
either open the window or swat them. I had an Aunt who was Mrs Clean
personified. When we visited her in Los Angeles, she took us to the
Farmers' Market for lunch. The p;ace swarmed with flies but it didn't
bother her one bit. She brushed them aside and said "Oh, it's just a fly".
I was really grpssed out. MLB

Old August 11th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 10, 11:30 pm, Mischief wrote:
[...]

Ewwww. I'd have been grossed out, too. But it happens to the best of
us. Usually
in the fall, it's like they know it's gonna turn cold and they're
trying to get in.
I don't kill many insects, I usually catch them and turn them outside.
But I draw the line at
flies, roaches, ticks and fleas.
For other bugs, I found this cool contraption in a catalogue. It's an
insect vacuum. It looks a little Star-WAr-ish, rather
like a hollow light sabre. You flip the switch, suck up the bug, and
empty it outside. I'm really not pro-life WRT bugs, I just
don't like to squish them because it's just plain gross.

Sherry

Old August 11th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

OMG, that totally worked. I took a small lamp and put it in the
doorway of my patio.

Then I went with a garbage bag and started stirring up the flies

GO TO THE LIGHT! I said, GO ON!

Fortunately m patio is covered with plants and trees so you can't look
in and see this girl thrashing this garbage around at the walls and
ceiling yelling, GO TO THE LIGHT!

Anyways, it seems that most of them have gone. YAY!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Now to get the rest of them......

LEAVE OR DIE!!!!

Old August 11th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 10 Aug, 22:00, Sherry wrote:
don't like to squish them because it's just plain gross.

I can't do it and if anyone else does the noise makes me feel sick!
When Dave was in Thames House I spotted what looked like a roach
(Long, black and shiny, I didn't look any closer than that) and I
nearly screamed when one of the domestic staff stood on it...I had to
shut my eyes until she'd swept the mess up

Okay I'm squeamish about that

Flies are risking their existence if they come in here, we have the
two big black fly hunters who think flies make wonderful toys. Sarsi
got one the other night, ate it and then came up to rub faces....YUK!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 11th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 22:04:31 -0700, Mischief wrote:

OMG, that totally worked. I took a small lamp and put it in the doorway
of my patio.

Then I went with a garbage bag and started stirring up the flies

GO TO THE LIGHT! I said, GO ON!

Fortunately m patio is covered with plants and trees so you can't look in
and see this girl thrashing this garbage around at the walls and ceiling
yelling, GO TO THE LIGHT!

Anyways, it seems that most of them have gone. YAY!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Now to get the rest of them......

LEAVE OR DIE!!!!

You probably exorcized a few spirits while you were at it!
MLB

Old August 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

Lesley wrote:

Flies are risking their existence if they come in here, we have the
two big black fly hunters who think flies make wonderful toys.

I'd like to have the right photos to go with the following LOLcats
caption:

"Is Caturday?"

"No. Is Fly-day...but I eated it."
--

Wayne M.
Old August 11th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 10 Aug, 22:04, Mischief wrote:
OMG, that totally worked. I took a small lamp and put it in the
doorway of my patio.

Then I went with a garbage bag and started stirring up the flies

GO TO THE LIGHT! I said, GO ON!

Fortunately m patio is covered with plants and trees so you can't look
in and see this girl thrashing this garbage around at the walls and
ceiling yelling, GO TO THE LIGHT!

Oh what I wouldn't give to have had a CCTV camera trained on your
patio!

Old August 11th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 22:00:44 -0700, Sherry wrote:

[...]

I'm with you Sherry. The only thing worse than flies are fly guts.
I'm always scolding the DH to not be smacking that sh*t inside of my
kitchen. Since returning to Houston, we run the ac 24/7 so don't open
windows, and because of that (thankfully) hardly any fly action inside
of the house. Of course there's the pesky inconvenience of a
sky-rocketing power bill from running the ac non-stop, but
hey.....what are ya gonna do?

-bonbon