Got a question

Old September 6th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Got a question

On 2008-09-06, Adrian wrote:
What you need is a cordless modem, I don't know what is available in the US
but this what I found here.
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Socket_Communi...Modem__5738256
Perhaps you can find something similar.

The cited gadget uses bluetooth, which has a short range, and will not let
you use your laptop anywhere in the house unless you have a one-room
house. You want Wi-Fi for anywhere at home connectivity.

Bud

Old September 6th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I called a couple of phone companies and they didn't have a clue what I was
talking about. No big surprise there. Thanks though, was worth a try.
"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 07:10:39 -0500, Granby wrote:

Don't know but, added this to my print out collection. Thank you.

A friend asked me just what sort of store I was looking for and I said
"I just want a puter Geek that sells the stuff I need. She said there
was a hole in the wall place in Terre Haute with an old guy who has been
ther forever. Will check that out. BTW the "old Guy" was 50!
wrote in message

On 5 Sep, 23:10, "Granby" wrote:
For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go
anywhere would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I
think it is called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the
house I want. Or even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

In the UK you can buy a widget from one of the mobile phone companies
and you plug it into your laptop. Bingo, wireless broadband technology
anywhere there is mobile phone coverage. All you pay is a monthly user
fee to the mobile phone company.

Is there something similar in the USA?

Helen M

Such gadgets are available, but my impression is that the monthly charges
are fairly high, from what other people have said to me.

--
John F. Eldredge --

PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Old September 7th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Granby" wrote in message
I called a couple of phone companies and they didn't have a clue what I was
talking about. No big surprise there. Thanks though, was worth a try.

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/02/19...om-option.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/55pe2b

Old September 7th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think it is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

I've got a gadget that promises to be able to do that, but it only
works with Windows, and we don't have a Windows machine in the house.
It has one radio unit with an aerial that connects to an ethernet
cable, the other unit connects to the computer. Probably through a
serial port. So it'll only work if you connect to the net via a
modem/ethernet router; we used to do that before we got broadband,
it worked pretty well except that the router sometimes wouldn't hang
up the phone when it should have done.

I can post the wireless gubbins to you if you want it. Not sure about
the voltages but it was made by an American firm (Netgear) and so it
should work on American electricity. The version of Windows it was
designed for was 98 at the latest so you're on your own with setting
it up.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old September 7th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Thanks but I am not good at setting things up. I took a couple of the other
ideas and will try them. I do appreciate all the info. I just want my
laptop in the front room. Waaaahhh.
"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739
557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic
fonts

Old September 8th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Called and make an appointment to see him on Wednesday, he is sure he can
figure something. He calls my area, "the discarded area"
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 5, 7:03 pm, "Granby" wrote:
Honey, in this town, I am the only one with a laptop and, my brother just
gave me a GPS and half don't know what it is. As best as I can figure by
reading I am SOL on this with a better net connection."hopitus"
wrote in message

On Sep 5, 4:27 pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:

"Granby" wrote in message

For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go
anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think
it
is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want.
Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house
want.

Not an expert. We have Cable with a Wlan system so that we can get
wireless. If you do get it, make sure that you have it password
encrypted
so that only those with your password can get into your system.
Otherwise,
anyone can get your information from almost anywhere in your
neighborhood.

Pam S. who needs Wireless because of 4-8 laptops in use over here.

Yeah, that's the other thing...a "router". they can be cheaper than
the internet card.
Pam is right about neighborhood hackers...wireless PC's are subject to
that.- Hide quoted text -

I totally forgot where you live. At this point I can't see what harm
there would be
to go see (if you can, take someone else who has a PC or laptop of
their own)
the "old guy" of 50 downtown and have a little chat with him about
your goal.

Old September 8th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Since I passed 60, he is still a pup.

"Granby" wrote in message

[...]

your goal.- Hide quoted text -

LOL Well whatever he means by that...will be our very own competition
between your area and my name for where I am, "hell frozen over".
I have posted some time ago that I had a great PC tech dude in FL
who would pick up my unit from my house (he lived in another suburb
town but passed my place to and from his work) give me a highly
detailed
summary of what the problem(s) were, how he fixed them, etc. and
charged me very reasonably for his expertise. He actually enjoyed
doing
this stuff as a sideline.
Good luck with your appointment with the old man of 50.

question GEMINI TWINS Cat health & behaviour 2 August 1st 06 11:38 PM
a question laurie w Cat anecdotes 2 July 17th 05 02:04 PM
Cat Collar Question / Cat harness question Suzanne via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 May 8th 05 07:27 AM
New cat question & weight question ElvisRocks Cat health & behaviour 6 April 1st 05 08:22 AM
question sol_girl Cat health & behaviour 6 January 12th 04 06:11 AM