Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary

Old November 28th 05, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary

Tonight I saw a show about the jaguars at the Cockscomb sanctuary in
Belize, and I thought about Helen who used to go there. Tonight's show
focused on Alan Rabinowitz, who founded the sanctuary. In fact, there
was another show about him on the same channel last week, that went
into great detail about his work in Belize. I was just wondering if
you know him, Helen, and if you were involved with Cockscomb.

Joyce
Old November 28th 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jXwXeXrXmXoXnXt" wrote in message

I was just wondering if
you know him, Helen, and if you were involved with Cockscomb.

Joyce///

Yes, I do know Alan Rabinowitz although I had very little to actually do
with him.

I visited Cockscomb several times, once to trap a problem Jaguar, and I
have a variety of entertaining stories involving my stays there,
including keeping a school party of American kids up all night because
I, and the people I was tracking cats with thought it was hysterical to
mimic various animals and see how many times we could get them to run
out of their cabins with flashlights. (103 times!!)
They did get very confused and alarmed when they started hearing donkeys
being killed by great apes, pigs attacking parrots, and wolves howling.
It was one of the fun-est and funniest nights of my life.

Helen M

Old November 28th 05, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

You are bad HELEN :-)
news:4974456232484a2acbfdf006bb71630e.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...

Old November 28th 05, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:

Yes, I do know Alan Rabinowitz although I had very little to actually do
with him.

Is he a nice guy?

keeping a school party of American kids up all night because
I, and the people I was tracking cats with thought it was hysterical to
mimic various animals and see how many times we could get them to run
out of their cabins with flashlights. (103 times!!)

You guys really needed some entertainment in the jungle, didn't you?
How old were these kids?

Joyce
Old November 28th 05, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jXwXeXrXmXoXnXt" wrote in message

Is he a nice guy?////

Tactfully? On a professional level, he's a guy who has a certain self
confidence bought about by the fact he is well respected in his field,
working for a well known organisation with a considerable amount of
influence. He knows his stuff and I have a lot of professional respect
for him and the work he has done. On a personal level? I wouldn't
neccessarily share a beer with him.

You guys really needed some entertainment in the jungle, didn't you?

We did, LOL! ;o)

How old were these kids?////

14/15 something like that. We were staying in the visitors center so it
was a suitable sort of place for school parties studying biology. What
can I say, apart from my *inner child* came out to play. ;o)

Helen M

Old November 29th 05, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:

Tactfully? On a professional level, he's a guy who has a certain self
confidence bought about by the fact he is well respected in his field,
working for a well known organisation... On a personal level? I wouldn't
neccessarily share a beer with him.

LOL, he did strike me as kind of uptight and um... single-focused.
Which is probably what it takes to accomplish what he's accomplished,
but doesn't necessarily make you a fun beer buddy.

How old were these kids?

14/15 something like that.

Wow, awfully gullible for that age. I mean, after the 97th time, didn't
someone start to wonder what was going on?

Joyce