Got a question

Old September 5th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Got a question

For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think it is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

Old September 5th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Well, even terre haute doesn't have a best buy listed. Someone said I
needed a router (?) I will have to call Dan Mahoney and pick his brain,
rather brains. I really want this to work.
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 5, 4:10 pm, "Granby" wrote:
For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think it is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

I am hardly the last word on this subject. I think maybe if you have a
laptop (which
relatives of mine have but I don't) you may be able to buy something
called a card
which enables your laptop (it goes in some slot) to get internet. Then
maybe you
need something else for another slot (that's the end of my guessing).
I'll tell you this: in spite of its handy location to you, I'd hardly
think the best PC
brains to be picked are at Wal-Mart....I have never found Best Buy to
either not
know the answer to something related, or to give me bad 411 on what to
do re
problems. Ask there if you can get a ride to one near you, or try
calling their
wireless department or PC help in a store. These cards for internet
access are
not cheap; I've seen them in BB ads anywhere from 45-100 dollars in
MileHigh
area. Let us know what you find out, okay?

Old September 5th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Granby" wrote in message
For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think it is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

Not an expert. We have Cable with a Wlan system so that we can get
wireless. If you do get it, make sure that you have it password encrypted
so that only those with your password can get into your system. Otherwise,
anyone can get your information from almost anywhere in your neighborhood.

Pam S. who needs Wireless because of 4-8 laptops in use over here.

Old September 5th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Granby" wrote in message
For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think it is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

Been a while since I was on dialup, but I think that you'd need to have a
main PC or laptop that has the phone cord connected to it set up with
Internet Sharing (if it's a Windows system). Then you're Internet Sharing
system would need a network card (cheaper) connected to a wireless router
via Ethernet. Then configure the wireless router so that your laptop (if it
already had wireless built-in) can connect to it and grab an internal IP
address. This way, your laptop and the computer with the phone cord are
sharing the same Internet connection.

If it isn't Windows I don't know how to do it.

Cheryl

Old September 5th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chris Havlicek

Granby wrote:
For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think it is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

delurk

Without cable/dsl/satellite, you'd still be limited to dial up speeds
for your internet access, as your wireless router would still
have to use the regular old telephone lines, through a PC to
act as a dial up interface.

Do you have cell phone service? Through some companies, you can
get a PCMCIA card that goes in your laptop, and acts as a wireless
modem accessing the internet via cellular networks. Tends to be a bit
expensive, though. There are also ways to use a cell phone as a modem,
as long as you have the right connector.

If you have neighbors close by that do have cable/dsl/satellite, you
might be able to work out a deal with them, assuming any card you get
for your laptop can pick up their wireless access point. This option
tends to be limited to about 300 feet or so, unless you or they have
signal boosters or repeaters.

Sorry about that...most any other technology that could possibly get
you out on wireless is more expensive than signing up for cable, etc,
buying the card *and* buying another laptop...

But...it's always possible I've overlooked something...I'll keep an
ear out...

Purrs-

Chris, Katie, Hazard and Oreo
(In loving memory of Tripper)

/delurk
Old September 6th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

In article ,
"Granby" wrote:

Well, even terre haute doesn't have a best buy listed. Someone said I
needed a router (?) I will have to call Dan Mahoney and pick his brain,
rather brains. I really want this to work.

I'm not an expert either, since I try really hard to avoid Windows. Is
the laptop your only computer, or do you have a desktop as well? If the
laptop is all you've got, you're pretty well stuck unless you can find a
way to get broadband service.

If you do also have a desktop, or if I can get one to you, you'd set up
the desktop to go online over the modem. You'd then plug an ethernet
card into the computer. You'd also need to pick up a WiFi access point
(they usually also include a built-in router). A cable would go from the
ethernet card in the computer to the WAN ethernet port on the WiFi AP.
The desktop would have to run Internet Connection Sharing.

WiFi access points usually support two different security schemes, WEP
and WPA. WEP is the older of the two and is easier to crack, so you'd be
better off configuring your AP and your laptop to secure communications
via WPA.

Having wireless access really is wonderful. I suspect I'd go insane
(well, more insane) if I couldn't sit in the living room and surf on the
laptop.

Here in central Iowa AT&T says they're going to releasing 3G service
later this fall. It might be worth calling them to see if they have
plans to release 3G service in your area any time soon. Then you
wouldn't need a dialup modem any more.

Another option is to check whether any cellular carriers offer GSM phone
service. If GSM service is available, then so is GPRS. That is sometimes
only 50-some Kbps service, but it IS wireless - I relied on that while I
was in the truck with Harri. Sprint also does decent wireless data over
large parts of the country.
Old September 6th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

"Granby" wrote:

Well, even terre haute doesn't have a best buy listed. Someone said I
needed a router (?) I will have to call Dan Mahoney and pick his brain,
rather brains. I really want this to work.

If you do also have a desktop, or if I can get one to you, you'd set up
the desktop to go online over the modem. You'd then plug an ethernet
card into the computer. You'd also need to pick up a WiFi access point
(they usually also include a built-in router). A cable would go from the
ethernet card in the computer to the WAN ethernet port on the WiFi AP.
The desktop would have to run Internet Connection Sharing.

Dan - Do you really need to have two computers to have wireless? Can't you
just connect a modem to the phone line and then connect your laptop to the
modem via wireless?

Granby - Many ISPs have good deals for broadband - maybe you could check
around to see what they're offering. In some cases, DSL doesn't cost a
whole lot more than dialup. Or, if you already have cable TV, you can add
on cable internet for an extra charge, but that extra charge is a lot less
than what you'd pay if you just got cable internet without cable tv.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 6th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Dan - Do you really need to have two computers to have wireless? Can't you
just connect a modem to the phone line and then connect your laptop to the
modem via wireless?

Not using the WiFi access devices I've seen. The one's I've looked at
and used have ethernet ports but not serial ports. They know how to talk
to anything else that has an ethernet port. That includes most broadband
modems, but not dialup modems.

Granby - Many ISPs have good deals for broadband - maybe you could check
around to see what they're offering. In some cases, DSL doesn't cost a
whole lot more than dialup. Or, if you already have cable TV, you can add
on cable internet for an extra charge, but that extra charge is a lot less
than what you'd pay if you just got cable internet without cable tv.

I think I recall that DSL and cable internet aren't available in her
area. But cell companies, ISPs, and cable operators are expanding their
coverage areas all the time.
Old September 6th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Granby" wrote in
:

For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go
anywhere would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up,
I think it is called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the
house I want. Or even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house
I want.

1. Does the laptop have wifi capability built in? If you do not know the
answer to that what is the model number?

2. Is there NO broadband available in your area?

3. Do you have another computer besides your laptop?

4. What does the dial-up cost you monthly?

Andy
Old September 6th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Honey, in this town, I am the only one with a laptop and, my brother just
gave me a GPS and half don't know what it is. As best as I can figure by
reading I am SOL on this with a better net connection.
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 5, 4:27 pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message

For those of you IN THE KNOW. I went to Wal Mart, because to go anywhere
would be a 20 mile trip, and asked about getting the set up, I think it
is
called wireless, so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house I want. Or
even right outside.

I have that horrible DIAL UP, and was told that unless I have cable,
satellite or DSL I can not buy such a deal.

I just want to be able to use my laptop on line anywhere in the house I
want.

Not an expert. We have Cable with a Wlan system so that we can get
wireless. If you do get it, make sure that you have it password encrypted
so that only those with your password can get into your system. Otherwise,
anyone can get your information from almost anywhere in your neighborhood.

Pam S. who needs Wireless because of 4-8 laptops in use over here.

Yeah, that's the other thing...a "router". they can be cheaper than
the internet card.
Pam is right about neighborhood hackers...wireless PC's are subject to
that.

question GEMINI TWINS Cat health & behaviour 2 August 1st 06 11:38 PM
a question laurie w Cat anecdotes 2 July 17th 05 02:04 PM
Cat Collar Question / Cat harness question Suzanne via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 May 8th 05 07:27 AM
New cat question & weight question ElvisRocks Cat health & behaviour 6 April 1st 05 08:22 AM
question sol_girl Cat health & behaviour 6 January 12th 04 06:11 AM