I Do Not Understand My Neighbor

Old June 22nd 16, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I Do Not Understand My Neighbor

This is not OT. She's the former slave of Schwartzie & Fedders.

She cat sits. Now, without really getting into a debate about
indoor-only vs. indoor-outdoor cats, I have to ask this question:

If you're cat-sitting and the owner tells you specifically NOT to let
the cat outside, wouldn't you adhere to their wishes?

This is the second time in about 6 months I've found cats in my back
yard that really upset Buffy. She does not like interlopers.

The first time this happened there was a long-haired black & white
tuxedo cat (Blackie) that came wandering over from the direction of my
neighbor's house. Buffy freaked. I mentioned the cat to the neighbor.
Oh, she was cat-sitting and it seemed like he wanted to go out.
Blackie was 18 years old and in an unfamiliar neighborhood. (I have no
idea why she brought the cat to her home rather than caring for it in
his home.)

This afternoon there was a huge orange tabby which came wandering over
from her house. I knew immediately... but I called her, all innocent:
have you seen a really large orange tabby out back? "Oh, that's Blaze.
I'm cat-sitting."

She specifically told me the owner does NOT want him going outside. She
claims he escaped the first day and she feared she lost him. (I have NO
idea why she is not taking care of these cats in their own homes.) She
found him but said, "He likes it! outside!" So she let him out when she
was on the patio. "I told him to say where I could see him." Oh sure,
he'll obey you. WTH?

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill
Old June 22nd 16, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/21/2016 9:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

This woman should not have any contact with anyone else's cat. It's too
bad you don't know who the owners are, but it sounds like there are
several. I would actually suggest that you let them know what is going
on if you were familiar with them. The "pet-sitter" (I use that term
loosely, under the circumstances) sounds like a control freak, and she
is placing those cats in jeopardy. Her actions are unkind to Buffy, and
she is also taking a chance that one of the cats will run away and never
be found. Worse, one of them could be killed while in her "care." She
is also lazy because the best thing for the cats would be to take care
of them in their own home(s).

MaryL

Old June 22nd 16, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MaryL wrote:

[...]

I definitely agree that it's unconscionable to let someone else's cats
out, especially when they've explicitly told her not to. She's a disgrace
to catsitting! If one of the cats is killed or goes missing because she
let them out, how will she explain that to their human when they come to
get their cat?

I wouldn't be too quick to judge her for having people bring their cats
to her, though. We don't know her circumstances. If she has an environment
that's acceptable to cats, that wouldn't be so terrible. I do realize that
a cat would prefer to be in their own territory, but maybe she can't go
to their homes for some reason? This is aside from her letting the cats go
outside.

Jill, if you can, try to get pictures of her "charges" so that you can
show that she is letting them outside. Then I would try to alert people
in your complex that this is going on. I'd hate for someone to lose a
beloved pet because of this person's incompetence.

Isn't she the same person who would go away and not leave enough food
for you to feed her cat(s)? And then ask you to go into town to buy more?

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
Old June 22nd 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 22:11:12 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

Not much to add other than she is irresponsible and rather stupid.
It's only a matter of time before a cat goes missing. I would be
extremely ****ed if somebody I trusted to take care of my girls did
that to them.

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

I don't doubt that for a minute!
Old June 22nd 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/22/2016 4:03 PM, Bastette wrote:
MaryL wrote:

[...]

I have no idea why she couldn't do this in their own homes. She's not
in any way disabled. She's always out in her yard raking, sweeping,
blowing leaves off the driveway. She drives.

Jill, if you can, try to get pictures of her "charges" so that you can
show that she is letting them outside. Then I would try to alert people
in your complex that this is going on. I'd hate for someone to lose a
beloved pet because of this person's incompetence.

I tried to get a pic of Blaze last night but Buffy was yowling and by
the time I grabbed the camera he'd wandered back to her place.

Isn't she the same person who would go away and not leave enough food
for you to feed her cat(s)? And then ask you to go into town to buy more?

Yes, I took care of her cats (in HER home) and I'd often find she was
short of cat food. She didn't ask me to buy more, I *had* to buy more
so they'd have enough. I'd leave her a note saying I had to buy more
food. She didn't offer to reimburse me so I stopped cat sitting.

Jill
Old June 23rd 16, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

On 6/22/2016 4:03 PM, Bastette wrote:

Isn't she the same person who would go away and not leave enough food
for you to feed her cat(s)? And then ask you to go into town to buy more?

Yes, I took care of her cats (in HER home) and I'd often find she was
short of cat food. She didn't ask me to buy more, I *had* to buy more
so they'd have enough. I'd leave her a note saying I had to buy more
food. She didn't offer to reimburse me so I stopped cat sitting.

Sounds like she's looking out for number 1, and doesn't care much about
anyone else, including other people's cats.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old June 23rd 16, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Follow-up (WAS: I Do Not Understand My Neighbor)

On 6/21/2016 10:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill

Guess who knocked on my door this morning asking if I'd seen Blaze?

Yep, she let the cat out while she was doing some weeding by one of her
patios. She went inside for a minute and when she went back outside he
was gone. (Imagine that! A cat wandering off!)

Sorry, I haven't seen him. I'd have known if Buffy saw him. LOL

Fortunately, she called me about 30 minutes later to tell me he'd come back.

One of these days she's going to pull this trick with a cat that will
*not* find its' way back. Good luck explaining that to the person who
trusted her with their beloved cat.

Jill
Old June 23rd 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:07:32 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 6/21/2016 10:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill

Guess who knocked on my door this morning asking if I'd seen Blaze?

Yep, she let the cat out while she was doing some weeding by one of her
patios. She went inside for a minute and when she went back outside he
was gone. (Imagine that! A cat wandering off!)

Sorry, I haven't seen him. I'd have known if Buffy saw him. LOL

Fortunately, she called me about 30 minutes later to tell me he'd come back.

One of these days she's going to pull this trick with a cat that will
*not* find its' way back. Good luck explaining that to the person who
trusted her with their beloved cat.

It's an awkward situation, what with her being your neighbour.
I don't think I could help but warn any people I knew that were
trusting her to take care of their furballs.

Old June 23rd 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I've thought about that. I don't know who her "clients" are. No idea
who is owned by Blaze.

And then there is the fact I don't want to alienate her. She's a ditz,
obviously, or determined to be convinced all cats are outdoor cats.

But she's been a wonderful neighbor. I don't want to alienate her.

Jill