Breaking & entering!

Old June 5th 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
elk

Default Breaking & entering!

I am having problems with neighbourhood cats breaking through my
catflap and stealing my cats food and spraying around the house!

My cats have been neutered and I have a magnetic catflap. None of the
cats I have caught breaking in are wearing magnetic collars - so how
are they getting in? One very large cat forces the catflap until it
gives way,and another cat is getting his claw under the flap to pull
it forward and slips in (very intelligent). I have tried throwing
water at them when i catch them, which seems a little mean, but with a
hope of detering them from visiting again - nothing seems to be
working.

Any ideas?

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/Breaking-en...pict72297.html
Old June 5th 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
[email protected]

On Jun 5, 12:23*pm, elk wrote:
I am having problems with neighbourhood cats breaking through my
catflap and stealing my cats food and spraying around the house!

My cats have been neutered and I have a magnetic catflap. None of the
cats I have caught breaking in are wearing magnetic collars - so how
are they getting in? One very large cat forces the catflap until it
gives way,and another cat is getting his claw under the flap to pull
it forward and slips in (very intelligent). I have tried throwing
water at them when i catch them, which seems a little mean, but with a
hope of detering them from visiting again - nothing seems to be
working.

Any ideas?

--
Posted at author's request, using moderatedhttp://www.PetForumz.cominterface
Thread archive:http://www.PetForumz.com/Breaking-en...pict72297.html

I have a similar problem. Two neighborhood feral cats occasionally
come into my garden and stare at my cat when he is outside. One is a
gigantic tiger cat. He stares at me too. The other is a smaller grey
and white cat which has better manners. He walks away when he sees
me. Once I chased them up the alley with a broom. My cat was behind
me. He got so upset he jumped on my ankle and scratched me and then
hissed at me. I guess he didnt want them to leave. I dont want them
to come around anymore.
Old June 5th 08, 10:02 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

wrote in message
On Jun 5, 12:23 pm, elk wrote:
[...]

Hunger is a very strong incentive. After all, what can you do to a cat that
is worse than him (or her) starving to death? If you don't want them to come
in the house, then I suggest feeding them outside. If you are not willing to
do that, then trap them and give them to your local humane society or feral
cat coalition. But remember this: The cats didn't ask to be born into this
world. They just woke up one day and found themselves here and hungry. So it
isn't their fault that they are an annoyance to you.

Old June 6th 08, 12:41 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
studio

On Jun 5, 4:36 pm, wrote:
Once I chased them up the alley with a broom. My cat was behind
me. He got so upset he jumped on my ankle and scratched me and then
hissed at me. I guess he didnt want them to leave.

On it's face that's what it would seem, but I think it's somewhat
more complex than that.

I had a similar problem when I was doing something outside and
my cat Mama was with me.

A woman came by with her female cat following her.
Both were nice enough, however Mama didn't like the other female
cat and kept her distance while eying her intently.
The woman tried to pet Mama to calm her fear, and I warned her not to.
Sure enough Mama lashed out and scratched the woman.

You see in Mama's eyes, she's looking at the other female cat, and
the
hand reaching down to pet her is an extension of that cat.
That hand will be attacked as if the other cat itself were too close.

It doesn't matter whose hand it is, it could have just as well been
mine.
Old June 6th 08, 06:41 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
MaryL

"studio" wrote in message

You see in Mama's eyes, she's looking at the other female cat, and
the
hand reaching down to pet her is an extension of that cat.
That hand will be attacked as if the other cat itself were too close.

It doesn't matter whose hand it is, it could have just as well been
mine.

That's called misdirected (or redirected) aggression.
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression3.html

MaryL

Old June 6th 08, 06:54 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
studio

On Jun 6, 1:41 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
That's called misdirected (or redirected) aggression.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression3.html

Ah yes, I've heard that before and should have known there were
names attributed to it.

Very common reaction amongst animals...and possibly some humans also.