MEOW!! JELLICLE BALL IS ON TUESDAY!!

Old September 27th 20, 10:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected][_2_]

Default MEOW!! JELLICLE BALL IS ON TUESDAY!!

Tuesday Night will be our 25th Silver Anniversary Jellicle Ball. I'd like to make a motion that this year in addition to honoring our own departed love ones, we create a really LOUD PURR in a Prayer of rememberance for the 999,079 -- by Tuesday night it will be over a MILLION humnas -- who have lost their lives to the CoViD19 Coronavirus. Worldwide there are an additional 32.1 MILLION humans who have been infected, many who are either still hospitalized, or still recovering from the disease. These humans are suffering and are in great pain. While not all humans are deserving such an honor from our Community, we are endowed by Bastet to bring comfort and wisdom. To those of our own kind who have departed to the Heaviside Layer and are preparing to cross the Rainbow Bridge, we can ask that they each act as an emissary from out Community to these departed souls who are probably lost and alone.

This year I propose that the Jellicle Ball be held in Sedona, AZ because it is right on a powerful Ley Line -- actually it is the point where TWO Ley Lines cross each other. We can PURR that all DESERVING souls including humans come back to a different Jellicle Life -- though humans might balk at coming back as a CAT!!

As to a theme I propose that it be a genuine BLACK & WHITE Ball. Given all the Death, Destruction, and Chaos this year, let's keep it simple this year. Starting at 1800 hrs MST (Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings) we start paying tributes to our own, but at 12 Midnight we start our PURR of HEALING. Realizing that some of you cats have soft PURRS I propose we start softly but let it build until THE PURR can be heard around the World in every back alley, and every home.

I suggest that all of you eat really, really well before you leave. This year we are going to have a buffet table that is going to be the longest this Ball has ever seen filled to over flowing with FOOD -- WHY?? This year THE PURR is going to last for 4 STRAIGHT HOURS NON STOP, and you all will burn up a lot of calories.

At 12 Midnight I will offer up the initial prayer and ask that Bastet infuse all the assembled with the Power of The Moon, and of the Night, it might feel disorienting -- especially for our MALE members -- but as you enter into the trance state THE PURR will connect all your souls into one GIGANTIC CAT SOUL linking one mind to every other. By holding the Ball right where the two Ley Lines cross, it will magnify our PURR by roughly 4 fold.

This is RIGHT!! This is PROPER!! The World is in Pain, and with luck our PURR will start the HEALING Process.

Timari's Black Mystique "Misty", House of Ruskin
Mistress of the Night
Old September 27th 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

wrote:

[...]

I'z confuzed? It's supposed to be on Halloween 31Oct (a Saturday).

Old September 27th 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The 1st FULL MOON in October is October 1st!!! Though I propose that we also have a Halloween Party this year as well!!

Old September 27th 20, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

wrote:

[...]

Thats the Harvest moon. Ours is the first full hunters moon. 31OCT.
Old September 28th 20, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

[...]

OK I had to go rooting around on the Bobcat's computer network while he is asleep (the NEW PUPPY D*G which will become Calypso's Successor is wearing him out). I've tried to erase any tale tell signs I've been there. While Bobcat knows that I have a Teleporter buried somewhere on his workstation, the rest of the network has strong encryption and passwords. I tapped into some of my Magic of the Night which is starting to rise even though the Full Moon is still two days away I just needed just enough magic to pass through his wards, and TaDa!! I found some if not all of Bonnie's Notes. Do we have an Official Historian ?? OK Here are the things I found on a BACKUP SERVER no less. The first part deals with the HISTORY of Rec.Pets.Cats (and before we became Rec.Pets. Cats.Community). The History of the Jellicle Ball is in 4 Parts. Part 1: Seems to be an Introduction and the Reason we Hold the Ball Each Year. Part 2: Tells of the Staging of the 1st Jellicle Ball Part 3: Deals with Conduct and Adressing of Cats Part 4: Deals with the Post Ball Event and a look towards the future events.

We really do need to have a Historian where we can save all our stories, as well as our history. This is all I could find. I understand there is a story of a Tuna Boat and a Cadbury Monster but it is not on this computer , and might be unearthed from an online search. In the meantime this is what I found on Bobcat's Backup Server. Enjoy!!

"I am the cat that walks alone, all places are alike to me." [Kipling]
I am still here, I die slowly!!!!
There is a lot of things wrong with USENET, the first being
news.groups!!! It is too BIG and noisy. I think what should happen is
that there be open discussion about sub-dividing news.groups into smaller
groups [maybe news.groups.animals; news.groups.religion;
news.groups.music; etc] just like you thugs have foisted on the
readership of so many ngs -- if the group is too big sub-divide it!!! It
is time we have a RFD on news.groups itself.
In regards to the rpc split I have made the following suggestions:
1) Divide rpc into 2 groups called rpc.literature [or stories], and
rpc.information. This was shot down because there was "no support".
News.groups did not get behind it though this was the most logical of
suggestions made as it conformed to USENETS "Naming" concept. We need
more subgroups.
2) Suggested that rpc be the central body with a config mode built in so
that each subscriber could set up rpc to the way THEY use it. I was told
this is technically impossible.
3) Dr. Brown suggested that killfiles using Keywords be used. I favor
this idea because it accomplishes the goal of individual configuration of
rpc by the user as spelt out in #2. This idea dismissed because "not
everyone has killfiles.
4) I suggested that Health and behavior be split off and attached to
alt.med.vet. which is a a logical association. Â*This is opposed because not
everyone gets the alt.* ng.
5) I suggested that Rescue be moved to the dog.rescue ng. This was
opposed because we MUST have a CAT rescue ng.
6) I suggested that both Health and Behavior be split off with provisions
that they be indirectly associated to rpc via the creation of
rpc.announce in which there are direct POINTERS to these ngs. This is
opposed because the groups must be with rpc.
I am going to make 2 final suggestions
7) Rescue has complained that the reason a special group for them should
be created is so that "rescuers" can exchange information. They have
pointed out how important their work is. Even though RESCUE may run only
4-5 posts a day they want their own group. I agree, rescuers do important
work, however 4-5 posts per day hardly justifies the creation of a group,
therefore here is yet another creative suggestion.
Rec.rescue.animals.cats be created. In addition
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .dogs
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .herps
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .birds
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .wildlife
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .misc
Cats, dogs, birds, etc will be considered terminal ng and no further
sub-division is to take place. Traffic can be shipped out, or a new
..animal terminal created.
Rec.rescue also allows for a branch to be developed for HUMAN rescue as
well if in the future if such a demand is made.
This is a WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN. It gives those in cat rescue a PROPER
FORUM, and meets the demands of Rescuers.
I have not forgotten the Health and Behavior croud either.
I suggest that a new group called rec.health.animals.cats be created. Others
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .dogs
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .herps
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .birds
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .wildlife
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* .misc
as in the rescue ng the cats, dogs, birds etc. are terminal ng and may
not be further sub-divided. It also allows for rec.health.humans to be
created in the future if there is such a demand.
8) Here is my second suggestion: It is a compromise on my first
suggestion: rpc be divided into 2 primary groups rpc.literature [or
stories], and rpc.information. Rpc.information may then be subdivided
into several terminal ngs: rpc.info.rescue
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*rpc.info.health
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*rpc.info.behavior
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*rpc.info.misc
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*rpc.info.announce
Rpc.literature [stories] is a terminal ng, and henseforth may not be further
subdivided. It will house "Meowchat" and all those "cute cat stories".
"MEOW:" will be used as a key word for those who wish to skip over the
meowchat.
Now some words from the author: So far I have put out *8* creative
proposals that allows everyone what they want. My proposals have
addressed the concerns of those who want to split the group, and those
who do not. News.groups is SUPPOSE to provide leadership and should make
things easier to accomplish, rather than tell the readership "Oh, you
don't know how hard it is to create a group. I am a former communications
specialist that spent time with routing charts, unit creations, etc.
while I was in the U.S. Army, I earned *5* letters of commodation for my
work; I am a former chess champion, as well as a chess olympian; I top
that off with a B.A., a M.Sc., and a Ph.D. in SCIENCE.
If the amount of flaming is an indication of its accomplishments, then
news.groups must be judged to be a total FAILURE. I have put out *8*
different workable suggestions, which if the so-called "proponents" of
news.groups were to exhibit any signs of leadership could have been
passed. The only thing that comes out of news.groups is the only way to
achieve a reduction in the size of rpc is via a destruction of the entire
COMMUNITY through sub-division and segregation. My 2 latest proposals
all accomplish what everbody wants. Rescue can either be a 2nd tier group
with .cats as a 4th level terminal; or if cat rescue MUST remain a part
of rpc, then "rescue" is a terminal on the sub-division of rpc.information.
I myself favor moving both Rescue and Behavior out of rpc all together
and creating new groups for both with specific terminal, then creating
announce directories with specific pointers to appropriate ngs in the
topic area [cats]. USENET is going to continue to grow at some point
POINTERS will have to become a part of USENET so people can find
associated groups. In deed what has made the www so popular is the fact
that it use POINTERS. Compared to the www, USENET is still in the Dark Ages..
--
Â* Â* Â* Â*R.H. Ruskin Jr., Ph.D. Â* Â* Â*
Â* "Sometimes the veil between human and animal intelligence wears very

Dear Readers of RPC:
I'm going to try this again, I seem to be having a tad of a problem
posting.
As many of you know I have graduated -- it is now "DR." Ruskin [Thank
you, thank you, you may now all sit down. Thank you.] Since I am no
longer a student I will be losing my e-mail and net account.
Since I have been with rpc I have made many friends -- I will miss you
all very much.
I have made substantial contributions to rpc since I have been here. Not
everyone has agreed with what I have said, though judging from some of my
e-mail I spoke out when speaking out was necessary. I have spoken out
about NOT dividing rpc beyond a simple split -- the reason is that if you
start splitting up rpc you put a knife the the heart of a LIVING
COMMUNITY. Rpc is NOT a place to gather information -- that is a
SECONDARY function; rpc is a place where people MEET and talk about cats.
If you start dividing up rpc into little kingdoms -- a rescue "community"
over here, a health and behavior "community" over there, a meowchat
"community" in the back woods -- you end up with what we have fought
against for decades -- SEGREGATION!!! Do we now carry our dislikes out
into cyberspace?? -- "Oh those stupid Meowchaters, they need to be placed
in their own little group where the rest of us don't have to see them".
"Health and behavior needs its own group". "Rescue needs its own group".
Rpc has grown large and we as a COMMUNITY must look for ways to handle
our problems in more efficient ways. Alt.animal.felines was created for
the purpose of the discussion of wild cats, but what you see being discussed
there now is domestic cats. There is room to grow over there. Charter be
damned, aaf is now an extension of rpc. Some of the people complain that
that rpc has no right to invade aaf -- "We came over here to get away from
all that Meowchat, you don't have the right to invade our group". As I
pointed out to that person THEY are the invaders, not rpc.
There are two competing functions that are happening in rpc 1) RPC as a
COMMUNITY 2) RPC as a source of INFORMATION. The other thing that must be
realized is that the number of users on the net will increase over time.
Rpc needs to LINK itself to other groups. EXAMPLE. Health and behavior is
a big enough child-body to be made independent of rpc, but not
independent of oversight it should be merged to a animal health group
where you have vets who will monitor the threads. Rescue is too small,
but the rescue of ALL animals should be considered equally important.
Cat rescue should be merged or made a companion of dog rescue -- stop
limiting yourself to the topic of cats only. If you would rescue a cat,
then I damn well hope you would rescue a dog [or a bird, snake, etc.].
Then there real discussion about rescue can take place; limiting the Â*
discussion of rescue to cats only is shortsighted.
Be builders of PEACE, not division. There is NO reason that aaf and rpc
could not live together. You are not talking about traveling all around,
you are talking about establishing electronic links. Rpc should by virtue
of senority should be the COMMUNITY hub; aaf should be set up as an
INFORMATIONAL hub. Both aaf and rpc should have a .announce file with
POINTERS to appropriate ngs, and with POINTERS to EACH OTHER -- in short
determine if the subject is COMMUNITY based, or INFORMATION based.
Information can be split, a COMMUNITY should NEVER be split. If you start
subdividing rpc it will die, mark my words. INFORMATION is impersonal,
a COMMUNITY is not, for a COMMUNITY is made of PEOPLE who CARE about
PEOPLE and the PLANET we inhabit. If you don't like my suggestions, what
ideas other than splitting rpc do you have??
To the many people who have loved me, thanks [Andy, you will have to
handle Kate again by yourself -- she is all yours, take good care of her
-- or maybe, Kate, take good care of Andy!!!]; to my detractors -- shrug
-- everyone is entitled to a point of view. To those who are proponents of
the split, my hat off to you; BUT HEAR ME: THOUGH I BE GONE LET THESE BE
MY LAST WORDS, "RPC -- ONE UNIFIED BODY, MANY MINDS".
R.H. Ruskin Â*Proponent, RPC
--
Â* Â* Â* Â*R.H. Ruskin Jr., Ph.D. Â* Â* Â*
Â* "Sometimes the veil between human and animal intelligence wears very
Â* thin -- then one experiences the supreme thrill of keeping a cat, or
Â* perhaps allowing oneself to be owned by a cat." -- Catherine Manley

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

[History of the 1st Jellicle Ball Held 26 October 1996 I think inside the Old Yankee Stadium, Bronx New York]

Part 1
The theme for the 1st Annual RPC Jellicle Ball is: The Transcendental
Power of Love.
Since RPC came on line, many wonderful and special kittens and cats have
passed to the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. But Â*-- as we know since
we are CATS -- death is not the end to life, but rather the beginning of
a new one. It should not be seen as a period of protracted mourning, but
rather as a period of celebration -- this is more-or-less in keeping with
the poet T.S. Eliot's works about CATS: We gather once a year to select
the cat that can come back to a new Jellicle Life. Love is a binding
force that transcends both time and space, and we will all reunite at the
Rainbow Bridge. In recognition that there are so many kittens and cats
deserving of a new Jellicle Life this year we pay honor to all who have
gone before; to celebrate their lives in story, song, and memories.
Bonnie, The Black Panther

Part 2
The area for the Ball will cover a circular area approximately the size
of Yankee Stadium. In the center will be a computer center with globe
projector and split beam prisms. Around the puuurrrrrimeter will be 100
"ft." tall projection screens with spaces in between. These spaces will
be exits and entrances for the various participants. These exists and
entrances must be secured from D*GS. While I do not advocate the use of
razor wire, if that is what is necessary to provide security do it. The
purrrson that has volunteered for this has a big task on his paws.
A various places around the purrrrrimeter there will be stages of
different types. The main stage will hold the band where music will be
played; 180 degrees away will be a circular stage for story tellers. Here
many of our brave tales can be told again so that they may be re-told for
generations to come. Cats who forget their past, as we all know, have no
future.
Bonnie, The Black Panther, Co- Host of the 1st RPC Annual Jellicle Ball

Part 3
As the Full Moon starts to rise, and the stars come out to shine, one
name at a time will be projected onto a huge main projection screen which
is to be adjacent to the band. Spike, our original MC for this Ball will
be the first name to be shown, out of respect. The format will be this:
The Cat's [or kitten's] name, and the name of the house they protected.
Ex. Gypsy, House of Ruskin. No other titles will be used -- on this night
all cats are to be considered of equal rank. All cats will be treated in
this manner. In the event the Cat or Kitten belonged to no home, it will
be the Cat or Kitten's name, House of Bastet. The MC will rule over the
Ball. We still do not have any submissions for the MC, therefore I am
appointing Christofur, esq, executor for Spike to 1) Find someone who will
serve in the role. The is a very HIGH HONOR. The cat selected should be
our oldest inhabitant -- in the event that no nominations are put forth,
by default Christofur, esq will be the MC.
Bonnie, The Black Panther Co-Host of the 1st Annual Jellicle Ball
--
Â* Â* Â* Â*R.H. Ruskin Jr., Ph.D. Â* Â* Â*
Â* "Sometimes the veil between human and animal intelligence wears very
Â* thin -- then one experiences the supreme thrill of keeping a cat, or
Â* perhaps allowing oneself to be owned by a cat." -- Catherine Manley

Part 4

The MC for the ball will rule over the Ball [which will be Christofur by
default if no other cat can be found]. The next to last song will be
Memories. The Host and Hostess of the Ball [Sir Galaxy and myself, or Sir
Galaxy and my stand-in, the lovely Ebony, The Black Panther (though if I
can not make it I will be there in spirit as I watch the Moon sail
overhead)] will have the whole floor unto themselves for the first few
measures, they will then invite all other cats to then join them. At the
end of the song the MC will ask that those cats deserving of a New
Jellicle Life be simultaneously projected through the beam splitters to
fall upon all the huge projection screens that surround the puuurrrrimeter.
All the names which have been shown will now be shown one final time en
mass. They will remain projected for 30 seconds before the start to
revolve around the gathered assemblage, first rather slowly, but then
faster and faster until they become one indistinct blurr where upon they
will start to rise towards the curved in peaks of the projection screens
-- up past the Russel Hotel, up into the Heavyside Layer -- the the names
will meet in a final blast of light, and the simultaneous release of
fireworks. As the fireworks fade the Band will begin to play a melody of
"The Power of Love" and "Everybody Wants to be a Cat".
The Dawn should be breaking about this time, and as the various cats
leave through the portals between the screens, we can then reflect on the
meaning of the Jellicle Ball: To Remember What Happiness Is; To Love One
Another, so a New Day can begin. In subsequent years the Jellicle Ball will
be held on the first Full Moon of October in the event October has a Blue
Moon.

Bonnie, The Black Panther, Lady of the House of Ruskin, Lady to Sir
Galaxy, Hosts of the 1st Annual RPC Jellicle Ball
--
Â* Â* Â* Â*R.H. Ruskin Jr., Ph.D. Â* Â* Â*
Â* "Sometimes the veil between human and animal intelligence wears very
Â* thin -- then one experiences the supreme thrill of keeping a cat, or
Â* perhaps allowing oneself to be owned by a cat." -- Catherine Manley

While I can find no Time Stamp this was a backup copy that was saved on 7 October 2007. The original must have been created around 19 October 1996 as the Full Moon was on 26 October 1996. Thus the FIRST FULL MOON is this coming TUESDAY OCTOBER 1st.

Reading back over the postings, as well as the story of the 1st Jellicle Ball makes my suggestion for our 25th Silver Anniversary Jellicle Ball. Instead of a technological sendoff, in this year of the Great Coronavirus Pandemic, and the world is filled with so much pain and suffering and Black and White Ball -- White for the Moon, Black for the Night -- with a PURRR heard around the World, it would b a SPIRITUAL sendoff that would be in keeping with the theme of that 1st Jellicle Ball back in 1996. The World needs Healing as it has never needed Healing before, we are uniquely in the position to at least start the Healing process with our PURRRS. I fuirther suggest that we have a Halloween Ball where we can party all we want. While I am NOT like Lady Bonnie who had no problem enforcing her will on others least they have their ears boxed, I am a very GENTLE Cat -- OK I have had to box Cousteau's -- Bobcat's 6 month old Sevice Puppy -- who just can not it it through his thick head and take a hint that I don't take well to being pounced upon -- I will go along with the majority opinion. This year there is very little that needs to be provided: A sign in Table and a Guest Book, the food and massively LONG table I'll create with my magic, though if any cat want to bring a special dish, be sure to bring it.

There is one thing I will need: A very STRONG Male cat either pure Black, Pure White or Black & White. Creating the table and the food will be a little taxing, however starting and maintaining THE PURRRR for 4 hours non-stop is going to drain me, and I may need a STRONG Male to catch me. I can also use a pair of assistant FEMALE cats who have at least minor magical powers; failing that two strong FEMALE cats who can LEAD a full throated PURRR once we get it rolling.

Now is the time -- OUR time to boldly step forth out of the shadows, anmd try to make a difference and bring Healing to the Earth.

Misty, "Lady" House of Ruskin; Misstress of the Night
Old September 28th 20, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Samuel Redcat

[...]

Jellicle Ball is indeed the last full moon in October. This year this
falls on Halloween.
Old September 29th 20, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Samuel Redcat wrote:

[...]

I do feel bad. Misty spent a lot of time looking stuff up and our
history. I joined later and am part of the later community. Things
have shifted because *we* have shifted. We have cats and dogs, living
in sin (grin).

Dual moons in October happen about every 21 years on average but the
next one is 2039 (I think). We are indeed auspicious on our 25th
anniversary as our second one that I could find. I recommend a special
notice be added to the announcement this year of it, and perhaps a
special mention of a Harvest moon party that by then will be have been
held?

I suspect in the end, the originators of the event would be both
startled and delighted at what we are now.