OT A Dog's Life

Old February 17th 05, 07:12 PM
Kreisleriana

Default OT A Dog's Life

A couple of weeks ago, as I passed a business near my house, I noticed
a splendid big dog tied outside. He was a German shepherd type-dog,
very heavy-boned-- but on closer examination, I saw that he was very
young-- hardly more than a big puppy. He had bright, curious eyes, a
doggy smile, and a big, fluffy, waggy tail.

I went to take a closer look at him, and heard yelling from the open
door. "No! No! Get away!"
I stopped and looked at the men who had come outside. "He bites?" I
said dubiously. This dog stood up, and was now looking expectantly at
me with friendly eyes, and a still-wagging tail. I've certainly made
mistakes about dogs before. But there was no sign of aggression,
fear, or defensiveness with this dog.

"Yes, he bites," they said, and I walked away, perplexed. Something
not right there.

A few days later, I was walking by, and the big waif had obviously
worked his charms on another passerby. A young woman was petting him
on the nose, which he was obviously enjoying. Again there was yelling
from inside the door, and the lady was chased away.

All of a sudden it hit me. That dog certainly is friendly! They
don't *want* him to be friendly.

My heart sank. Of course, the dog is enormous-- he's going to be a
guard dog. These guys didn't get a huge dog just to eat a ton of food
a day and be a pal.

Later the same day, when I came home, the dog was being walked by a
young man. Busybody that I am, I approached them, and told the young
man what a beautiful dog it was. The dog's eyes lit up just as
before, and his big fluffy tail started wagging. The young man, who
didn't speak English well, just said "Don't touch." I said "He
bites?" The boy said "I don't know. He might." This sounded pretty
weaselly to me, and I said, "You don't want him to be nice. You want
him to be mean." The boy said "He's a guard dog."

I went away, my heart sinking more. There's really nothing I can do
about this, unless they *really* mistreat him. But I can't imagine
a very nice life for him. Even if they don't beat him, or tease him,
or starve him, even if they take the modicum of humane care of him,
this lovely dog will not have a happy life. There is nothing that
makes me madder than the idea of taking an animal who so clearly has
an open, friendly, trusting nature, and messing with that, and ruining
it. I can't get him out of my mind.

Theresa
Old February 17th 05, 07:20 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

I don't suppose unless you have evidence of mistreatment there is anything
you can do. (sigh) But the poor dog obviously wants human affection and
attention and they are denying him that.

If they want a guard dog they should get a dog already trained for that, not
try to force the role on a big pup who wants to play with people... grrrrr,
some folks seriously tick me off. Oh, and why would you have a "guard dog"
sitting outside your business in the first place? What, you don't want
people to come into your place of business? Utterly ridiculous.

Maybe you could call the Humane Society and ask for their opinion. They'll
probably tell you next to nothing, but you never know...

Jill

Old February 17th 05, 07:23 PM
CatNipped

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

[...]

And it's so unneccessary! Even a dog that is allowed to be friendly to
strangers, is showered with love and affection, and is a big love bug, will
defend his territory and his "pack" against aggressive strangers. You don't
need an "attack" dog to defend yourself or your property. Even a tiny dog
is good protection because most burglars will not take the chance that a
barking dog will alert someone to their presence and will look for another
target.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Theresa

Old February 17th 05, 11:43 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-17, CatNipped penned:

And it's so unneccessary! Even a dog that is allowed to be friendly to
strangers, is showered with love and affection, and is a big love bug, will
defend his territory and his "pack" against aggressive strangers. You don't
need an "attack" dog to defend yourself or your property. Even a tiny dog
is good protection because most burglars will not take the chance that a
barking dog will alert someone to their presence and will look for another
target.

This reminds me of a family friend and his dog. He had two German Shepherds
in succession, Shaika and Shaika II. The original Shaika was trained as a
guard dog. He loved her dearly, but made it very clear to me that she was
extremely protective and wasn't the kind of dog you could just run up to and
play with. Shaika the second was a fun, playful pup. Totally different
personalities.

Anyway, what I'm thinking is, these people don't seem to have any idea of what
it takes to train a guard dog. They're just trying to raise a mean dog.
That's bound to backfire, and when the dog eventually bites someone, it will
be euthanized for the owner's ignorance. Very sad. And then there will be
yet another data point "proving" that German Shepherds are vicious, when many
of them are just big lovebugs.

*sigh*

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 18th 05, 01:38 AM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:43:56 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
yodeled:

On 2005-02-17, CatNipped penned:

[...]

Exactly.
These aren't what you would call sophisticated people.

Theresa
Old February 18th 05, 06:10 AM
Gabey8

Purrs on the way that the owners understand, ASAP, that they don't have to
make the dog anti-social or mean in order for him to be a good guard dog.

Either that, or that this dog gets turned into a PET (either theirs or for
someone they give him to) and that they go get a pre-trained guard dog, if
that's what they really want a dog for.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old February 18th 05, 06:47 AM
L. (usenetlyn)

Kreisleriana wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, as I passed a business near my house, I

noticed
a splendid big dog tied outside.

snip sad story

Oh good grief! I cannot get it out fo my mind , either. What a
pathetic life that dog will have. :*(

-L.

Old February 18th 05, 10:45 AM
BC

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

This is soo sad. In my opinion the best way to create a guard dog is to
treat it wonderfully so that it sees you as its family and wants to
protect you, no training to be a guard dog is then needed. Our old dog
was wonderful, even slept on the beds with us, shared our dinner, let me
do anything with her but if someone knocked on the door, well that was a
different matter! Sounds like they are teasing this dog to turn it bad,
he can see all these lovely people who put their hands out to give
him a lovely stoke then someone shouts from behind him and that lovely
hand is taken away, this will only create a sad, sour dog who will be
too much for the owners, very, very sad.

--
Badger Badger Badger
Old February 18th 05, 03:32 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:45:18 GMT, BC yodeled:

(snip)
This is soo sad. In my opinion the best way to create a guard dog is to
treat it wonderfully so that it sees you as its family and wants to
protect you, no training to be a guard dog is then needed. Our old dog
was wonderful, even slept on the beds with us, shared our dinner, let me
do anything with her but if someone knocked on the door, well that was a
different matter! Sounds like they are teasing this dog to turn it bad,
he can see all these lovely people who put their hands out to give
him a lovely stoke then someone shouts from behind him and that lovely
hand is taken away, this will only create a sad, sour dog who will be
too much for the owners, very, very sad.

I hate to pass this kind of judgment on anyone, and in addition, I
feel a kind of liberal guilt, since these people are immigrants. I
hate uninformed knee-jerk prejudice against immigrants, because
everybody's family came from somewhere else at some time-- and at some
point in history, I'm sure somebody thought *my* ancestors were scum.
But these are stupid, ignorant people, and IMO, perhaps dangerous-- I
suspect the dog was obtained to protect something illegal-- and I'm a
bit afraid of them myself.

Interestingly enough I saw this this morning:
http://www.slate.com/id/2113564/
I'm going to keep it in mind.

Theresa
Old February 18th 05, 03:43 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

I thought I posted something about this yesterday but I don't see it. I'd
be tempted to find a "dog napper" if possible. That poor animal is just
going to be miserable and possibly mean, but not a guard dog.

Jill