what band dry cat food you feed ?

Old July 29th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

Default what band dry cat food you feed ?

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:53:57 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"outsider" wrote in message
4...

In the morning I give them (the two boys) a half can between them of
chunky
food with a lot of water mixed in (the water is the main reason for the
canned) and the rest of the day my electric feeders give them 3 small
portions of the Core. I hope over time this compromise works well. Frank
is always way early (45 minutes some times) to the dishes crying for food
but Lyle has it down to a few minutes and just waits there with no crying
at all.

Waffles and Pickles were used to having dry food available all the time, so
I've continued that. In spite of that, Waffles usually starts whining for
his canned food about 5 p.m. I normally give it to him about 6:30 p.m.

The girls have access to as much kibble as they want all day long, but
come afternoon they KNOW it's nearly time for their gooshy food, and
they let me know about it in no uncertain terms. Silver starts whining
for her gooshyfood about four o'clock, and they don't get fed till
six! It's not that she's that hungry, but she likes it better than the
kibble because the kibble tastes the same day in and day out, and I
give them a different flavour of Friskies every day.
Old July 29th 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Within the group of (few) people still remaining on rpca, I don't think
anyone is going to disrespect anybody else's decision on *what* they feed
their cats. A "long discussion" about cat food is welcome, to me, anyway.
We've got plenty of indoor/outdoor cats here, and that's not a taboo subject
to me, either. I think Michael is welcome to raise any discussion about his
cats that he wants to.
I feed a combo of wet/dry. At the moment, we're switching from Purina Pro
Plan/ FF to Wellness.
One good thing about Purina is that it was one of the few brands unaffected
by the melamine scandal.

Yes. That's why, when I run out of their super-fancy premium stuff (Wellness
as well as another brand, for variety), they get Friskies. That doesn't
happen too often, but the store where I buy the premium stuff isn't easy
to get to during the week, so I have to go on the weekend. But if I happen
to miss a weekend now and then, they're going to be eating Friskies. I'm
sure there are better mainstream commercial brands, but as you say, Purina
wasn't involved in any poisonings. The kids love it - it's kitty McDonald's.
They're going to be so disappointed tomorrow when I finally get to replenish
their supply of health food.

Joyce

--
May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old July 29th 11, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

But surely it does not have be an either or thing?
Boyfie is fed mainly wet food but he does have a bit of dry every

day.
His teeth were checked when he had his vacs last month and they were
fine. If it *were* an either or - it would be wet food. My cat could
manage without his teeth but not without his kidneys. The very high
protein content in dried food is a real strain on the kidneys as cats
get older.

Tweed

In the end it comes down to personal choice.

Joy

In the morning I give them (the two boys) a half can between them of
chunky
food with a lot of water mixed in

Why do you mix water into it?

I am trying to insure they drink enough water in hopes it will help keep
their kidneys in the best shape possible. They lap it down in no time
when added to the food. Also since they eat half their diet in dry form
maybe it will insure they are properly hydrated.

Is there a reason why they eat half their diet in dry form?

Old July 29th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cat Fountains (WAS: what band dry cat food you feed ?)

"Adrian" wrote in message

I got a Drinkwell fountain about a month ago, Shadow ignored it for the
first couple of weeks, now he loves it. I very rarely see Baggy
drinking.

I have never seen Boyfie drink from the bowl of water that is always
available to him.
Maybe he does it secretly during the night?

Tweed

Old July 29th 11, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

Persia loves her Drinkwell fountain. I never have to worry about her
being properly hydrated. She drinks water several times a day from the
filtered water fountain. One of the last things I hear before she joins
me in bed at night is the sound of her drinking water. One thing she's
never had is kidney problems She loves that fountain!

I bought a "Cat Waterer" gadget at Pet Smart. No filter, just an
upended gallon or so bottle with a valve that regulates water flow into
a bowl. Once in place, it works fine, but I haven't yet figured out how
to control that crucial moment of "upending" so I don't slop water all
over their feeding mat when I first fill it. My cats seem to drink an
awful lot of water, here in summertime Arizona, and I was tired of
finding an empty water bowl, every time I checked on their food dishes.
(They seem to EAT a lot more in hot weather, too, which surprises me.)
Old July 29th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 07/29/2011 02:12 AM, Adrian wrote:
wrote:

wrote in message

Persia loves her Drinkwell fountain. I never have to worry about her
being properly hydrated. She drinks water several times a day from
the filtered water fountain. One of the last things I hear before she
joins me in bed at night is the sound of her drinking water. One
thing she's never had is kidney problems She loves that fountain!

I got the idea because when she first came to me back in 2001 she'd
try to drink from the running faucet when I was brushing my teeth. I
didn't want to spit toothpaste on her head, so I got her her own
fountain She loves it! You might consider one for your cats. Of
course they have to be cleaned regularly and the filters changed every
couple of months. But she gets her fresh cool water and loves
drinking out of the fountain. She's happy and well hydrated

Jill

I got a Drinkwell fountain about a month ago, Shadow ignored it for the
first couple of weeks, now he loves it. I very rarely see Baggy
drinking.

I had a Drinkwell fountain when I first had TuTu. She always made a
mess with it. First she tried moving it. Then she kept
trying(succeeding) to pry the top off the reservoir to drink out of it.
That is when I finally decided to place her water in the tub and
another in the shower stall. She still likes to move the one in the tub
but the other one is too big and heavy for her. MLB
Old July 29th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message

Note: You can get good deals on those filters on eBay.

Jill

Thanks Jill, I'll remember that.

--
Adrian
Old July 30th 11, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

CatNipped wrote in
:

On 7/28/2011 6:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

Mine *love* their Drinkwell Platinum fountain. We used to keep a tap
running for Jessie, but after a while she started using nothing but
the fountain - I guess she likes the charcoal-filtered water better
than straight tap water.

My two guys never drank from the Drinkwell and I have no idea why. It
would run and run and the water would evaporate in time and they would
never use it. I had to run a time lapse camera to be sure BUT you two
just reminded me about it stored away; my niece and her boyfriend will be
getting a cat very soon so maybe they will try it out. It would be great
to see someone get use out of it again.

Old July 30th 11, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Kajikit wrote in
:

six! It's not that she's that hungry, but she likes it better than the
kibble because the kibble tastes the same day in and day out, and I
give them a different flavour of Friskies every day.

Yep, friskies here too.

Old July 30th 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I am trying to insure they drink enough water in hopes it will help keep
their kidneys in the best shape possible. They lap it down in no time
when added to the food. Also since they eat half their diet in dry form
maybe it will insure they are properly hydrated.

Is there a reason why they eat half their diet in dry form?

It is a little complicated but it goes like this: Frank was a skinny
little guy who can eat dry food faster than Lyle who was overweight and IS
a bully about food. So I use two electronic feeders (timed together) so
they both have a dish that gets an equal portion of dry three times a day
and the worst that happens is Frank always finishes first so they eat eqaul
on the dry. The wet, on the other hand, Lyle gobbles down faster than
frank and tends to get Franks last few bits. Although the water slows him
down just a bit,if I feed them more than half a can Lyle would get most of
it. The net result of the four feedings and the mix of the timed dry and
the "me provided" wet is that they are now much closer in weight. Frank is
still bigger but he is not overweight or not by more than a tiny bit while
Frank is pretty much perfect cat weight. I also feel like they are more
content with four feedings a day which is next best thing to free feed
which just wont work with Lyle being such a hog.