creative built-in cat walk/ladder home reno ideas?

Old September 25th 03, 03:42 AM
Cheryl

In m,
RW composed with style:

I've googled cat
walk and cat run but cat runs seem mostly to be are
mostly outdoor passages, and cat walk just throws up a lot of
fashion stuff. Any advice or suggestions appreciated, tia.

I was trying to find the URL for a company who developed shelves that
mount on the wall in a configuration such as what you're describing.
A few people tried those. I sort of made up some of my own but they
aren't carpetted yet. I found this thread about what you're looking
for:
http://tinyurl.com/okzy

Another thread about the cat walks:
http://tinyurl.com/ol0c

Finally, the creator's website.
http://www.katwallks.com/

The hoopla of this idea died down so I was never sure how good they
turned out to be.

Old September 25th 03, 01:22 PM
RW

hi ! yes what a great idea - i had thought about a floor to ceiling
pole wrapped in hemp rope or carpet, but i had doubts about whether or
not my cat could (or would want to?) climb something vertically all
the way to the top. Also what would I do with a floor to ceiling pole
in my living room LOL! But I still like this idea and sticking slats
or around it to make "steps" i think is even better! i think i'm
going to incorporate this with the wooden perch or "balcony"
recommended on the katwallks site that another poster recommended.

thanks !

John Kimmel wrote in message ...
Cats can climb up an expanse of carpet easily enough, but they have
trouble climbing back down. I made a post wrapped in sisal rope that's
about 6' high. I put 3 shelves on it just so the cats could get down
easier.

I wonder if anyone has recommendations either for a site with similar
ideas, or personal sites of
people who have done "cat things" to their places? I've googled cat

Old September 25th 03, 01:32 PM
RW

I was trying to find the URL for a company who developed shelves that
mount on the wall in a configuration such as what you're describing.
A few people tried those. I sort of made up some of my own but they
aren't carpetted yet. I found this thread about what you're looking
for:
http://tinyurl.com/okzy

Another thread about the cat walks:
http://tinyurl.com/ol0c

Finally, the creator's website.
http://www.katwallks.com/

The hoopla of this idea died down so I was never sure how good they
turned out to be.

Hi Cheryl - this is wonderful, and more than I hoped for, thank you!

I followed the link to katwallks - what a fantastic idea. I like what
they call the "balconies" - right now I think I'm going with the floor
to ceiling pole, with shelves/slats sticking out to make "steps", that
lead up to a katwallk style "balcony" in the corner. ACtually maybe a
catwalk around one wall as well. Either that or a series of long
shelves with holes in them (in one of the links posted above, someone
posted plans for this), enabling the cat to move to the balcony in one
corner. I'm going to get my contractor to configure something. He's
already designed his own cat-walk idea for his own new place (i'm
colleagues with his wife and we both have cats), a set of shelf-like
inlaid carpeted ledges leading vertically upwards to a catwalk that
runs around one or two walls of their aprtment. He drew the line at
knocking holes through the walls and framing them though. In the
event that the cat doesn't use the ledges (will that happen, dyou
think?) my colleague is going to use the ledges to display her vintage
handbags. I didn't want a series of ledges because I wasn't sure if
they were going to look a little out of place. I 'm not sure how much
less out of place a rope covered full length pole is going to look
though LOL.

thank you all