Does Anyone Watch (television) 'My Cat From Hell'?

Old February 19th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Does Anyone Watch (television) 'My Cat From Hell'?

There was a new episode on Animal Planet yesterday. I've never watched this
before. Some guy named Jackson Galaxy knows a lot about cats and cat
behavior. So he goes to people's houses and tells them how to "fix" their
cats.

A couple adopted a Sphinx named Mandy. They decided a few years later she
might like a friend. So they brought home Rosie. The cats have been
fighting ever since. (I don't think they were gradually introduced.) The
poor husband couldn't get any sleep because the cats would get on the bed
with them. They'd yell, fight, hiss all night long. This guy Jackson first
of all pointed out they only have one toy means the cats are already
adversaries. He brought over a bunch of cat toys. Then he encouraged them
to play with the cats really hard right before nighttime feeding so the
aggressor, Mandy, was tuckered out. It worked! He also suggested they each
have their own cat bed on both sides of the bed so they'd have their own
space and still be close to their adoptors. Jackson was amazed at how fast
the cats took to the beds. She said that's because there's a heating pad
under there and these nice soft blankets. After all this, two Spinx cats
were hanging out, not fighting. Not necessarily friends, but I suspect that
will come with time.

Jill

Old February 19th 12, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 19, 1:21*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I've caught a few episodes. I enjoy watching it. An awful lot of what
the guy recommends
are just basic common sense, but some a little more subtle. For
instance, one couple
cat a cat who eliminated all over the place, and they showed her
covered litter box, which
was completely caked (top AND bottom) with poop. I wouldn't want to go
in there either!

The thing I've learned that I am pushing DH to help me with is to
build a catperch ledge near
the ceiling. Biskit is such a fearful cat. I think if she were able to
survey the room from a
high perch she'd like that.

Sherry
Old February 19th 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yes watch it all the time I have learned a lot. Those 2 hairless furballs
were adorable

Old February 19th 12, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Having never had a cat before, I didn't have basic common cat sense

The thing I've learned that I am pushing DH to help me with is to
build a catperch ledge near
the ceiling. Biskit is such a fearful cat. I think if she were able to
survey the room from a
high perch she'd like that.

Sherry

Persia never went to high places. She gets on the back of the sofa to look
out the windows. She gets on her low cat cradle. That's about it. She's
not fond of high places like the top of the refrigerator. She's never
jumped on kitchen counters.

Jill

Old February 19th 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I love that show and am glad there was finally a new episode on. I notice
that almost all of the cat owners live in very small apartments, I wonder if
that contributes to the cats stress levels.

Old February 19th 12, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"news" wrote in message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I notice the big thing is none of them have play time with the cats or
descent toys

Old February 19th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"news" wrote in message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I think it might. But hey, you can only afford what you can afford. By
giving them each their own bed and their own toys, the cats got along fine.
It was fun to see the changes in their behavior towards each other.

Jill

Old February 19th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"news" wrote in message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, in this episode they didn't have toys for the cats. Or time for them.
I think they just expected the cats to be "pals". Heh.

Jill

Old February 20th 12, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Ross Mc Master

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:21:29 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

I like it.

Heads up: Season one and two episodes from Season 2 are on the Usenet,
and they can of course be purchased from Amazon or itunes.
Old February 20th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 2/19/2012 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I've recommended that show before - I've watched all the episodes
and he's never had a failure using (may I be so bold as to say "my"
method of) positive *only* behavior modification. ;

Seriously, he's had some really hard-ass cases and always ends up with a
happy household.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/