What can cats sense under a house?

Old February 1st 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty Winter

Default What can cats sense under a house?

Last summer, after my cat had been staring at floor vents for
some weeks, I finally heard a rat gnawing on the floorboards.
Clearly, she either smelled or heard him long before I knew
that he was there. I was eventually able to find the hole he
was using to enter and leave the space under the house; once
I closed that up, he got hungry and it only took me a day or
two to trap him and relocate him to a nearby creek.

Well, now she's doing it again. This time, it's only one specific
floor vent--at least, so far. I've done a preliminary look-see
around the house (between rainstorms) and haven't spotted any
openings. Has anyone here ever experienced a cat sensing, say,
insects (e.g. termites) under a house? I'd prefer that it be
a rat or a mouse! They're cuter, and easier to get rid of. :-)

Patty

Old February 1st 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

My cats do the same thing....however, I have not heard or found any signs of
critters entering the house. That doesn't mean there isn't something there,
I just haven't been able to find anything. I don't know if my cats have a
great sense of smell or hearing.

S.
---

Old February 1st 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Patty Winter" wrote in message

Anything that moves.

Old February 1st 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 1, 1:42�am, (Patty Winter) wrote:
Last summer, after my cat had been staring at floor vents

[snip]
Well, now she's doing it again. This time, it's only one specific
floor vent--at least, so far. I've done a preliminary look-see
around the house (between rainstorms) and haven't spotted any
openings. Has anyone here ever experienced a cat sensing, say,
insects (e.g. termites) under a house? I'd prefer that it be
a rat or a mouse! They're cuter, and easier to get rid of. :-)

Patty

she's a prostitute cat. there is a male cat now in there that has
some money. do you know your cat goes where and does what? when your
not watching it stare at the floor vents? they're all pretty much
cute and feral. How do i get my cat to like me?

Are cat's mammals and not reptiles? What you've been doing with your
cat is your business. i am pleased pleased pleased about it helped
found the rat.

i love cats i am a witch with only just the 1 cat

Old February 2nd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Feb 1, 1:42*am, (Patty Winter) wrote:
Last summer, after my cat had been staring at floor vents for
some weeks, I finally heard a rat gnawing on the floorboards.
Clearly, she either smelled or heard him long before I knew
that he was there. I was eventually able to find the hole he
was using to enter and leave the space under the house; once
I closed that up, he got hungry and it only took me a day or
two to trap him and relocate him to a nearby creek.

Well, now she's doing it again. This time, it's only one specific
floor vent--at least, so far. I've done a preliminary look-see
around the house (between rainstorms) and haven't spotted any
openings. Has anyone here ever experienced a cat sensing, say,
insects (e.g. termites) under a house? I'd prefer that it be
a rat or a mouse! They're cuter, and easier to get rid of. :-)

Patty

My Beebe will be so sound asleep that he is limp as a rag and will
suddenly wake up in the middle of the night because he hears something
in the garden and will go jump out of his bed and go to look out the
window. I think cats have supersonic hearing. However...they do tend
of see ghosts as well ... like they dance around and pretend something
has frightened them just for a big game of catch-me-if-you-can.

Someone here has a sense of humor Tanada Cat anecdotes 9 April 21st 07 09:16 PM
Paw Sense... HRFLTiger Cat anecdotes 3 April 26th 06 09:11 PM
At least someone around here has some sense. Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 20 November 18th 05 02:39 AM
Spider sense with Otis Susan M Cat anecdotes 7 March 29th 05 05:56 AM
Cheeky, Boo, and Gnarly: Cats of My House, Cats of My Heart. Mary Cat health & behaviour 56 September 10th 04 05:01 AM