That does it, I'm certifiable

Old February 4th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

Default That does it, I'm certifiable

wrote in message
There's this pet food store near my house where I buy cat food,
litter, etc. I always go on Sundays because a local feral-rescue
group has an adoption in front of the store and I like to visit
the kitties.

Today I went and they were just breaking down (it was late in
the afternoon and time to pack up), but a few cats were still in
their cages. I stuck my finger in one and the kitty rubbed his
head all over my finger. I asked the volunteers if I could take
him out and hold him, and they said yes.

The cat immediately shoved his head under my chin, started purring,
and wouldn't budge, except to touch noses with me and rub his head
all over my face. He was a little darling. The next thing I knew, I
was offering to foster him!!

At first, the volunteers said they had someone. Then they said that
they actually hadn't asked the guy (ie, the fosterer) yet, so if I
wanted to, I could take him tonight. They know I already have 3 cats
at home, because I visit them almost every week and talk to them all
the time. They said that if it turns out to be too much, they do have
other fosterers who could take him. And of course, he could get adopted.

He is now under my desk and won't come out. I have the office door
closed so my 3 vultures can't come near him, but either he smells them,
or else he's just nervous about being in a new place. I hope he relaxes
soon. I tried to play with him but he's still too nervous, so I'm
leaving him alone. He's about 8-9 months old, so still a baby. But I
put a bit of catnip down to see if I could entice him out.

Am I insane or what? I'm already overwhelmed keeping up with 3!!

He is awfully cute, though.

Joyce

Pictures?

Old February 4th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

OK, OK, but I haven't adopted him. I'm only fostering! I am not going to
adopt him. You heard me, right? Not going to adopt him. I said *not* going
to adopt him...

Joyce

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Yeah, right Joyce. What *EVER* you say!!!

I was only ever going to foster Sir William. And Pandora. And Cleo.
And Miss Lily Whiskers.....

Helen M
Old February 4th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

He is awfully cute, though.

Pictures?

Unfortunately, no, because I don't have a camera. He's a small 9-month
old (looks more like 6 months to me), and is mostly white, with small
patches of black in a few places, and a striped tail. That always cracks
me up, like at the factory, they had run out of tails to match a mostly-
white cat, and had to just stick on a striped one.

He has runny eyes, and might have herpes. I already know that my non-
herpes cats are immune, since they've been living with Roxy for years,
so that's no problem.

I just wonder where that sweet, affection-hog kitty went? I'm going to
call the rescue folks today. He seemed no different this morning - I
found him crouched in yet another hiding place, as far back as he could
get. He did eat, though, and he used the litter box, so he's probably
just scared, not sick.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 4th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I just wonder where that sweet, affection-hog kitty went? I'm going
call the rescue folks today. He seemed no different this morning - I
found him crouched in yet another hiding place, as far back as he could
get. He did eat, though, and he used the litter box, so he's probably
just scared, not sick.

Joyce////

He's probably terrified. When Cleo arrived, she was in shell shock and
sat under my desk in her box for 3 weeks solid.

He's ex-feral, right? If he's been tamed, this behaviour is completely
normal and he he needs time to readjust. Sit there quietly and read to
him. Also, if you have a feather wand toy, try and tempt him to play
with it. Whatever you do, don't force yourself on him. Also, get
yourself some really yummy gooshy food, smear it on your fingers and
encourgae him to lick it off. Then he'll learn your fingers are nice
things.

Give him time. He's worried, stressed and unsure of himself and is
behaving the only way he knows how - hiding and keeping small and
hunkered down so that the big bad monster doesn't eat him.

Helen M

Old February 4th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

of all the people in the world you shouldn't deceive yourself, Lee
wrote in message
Joy wrote:

I think it's a given that all of us who are slaves to our furry babies

are
insane. That's why I stay away from pet stores or any place where cats

or
dogs are available for adoption. When my husband was alive, he could

steer
me away from the children with their kittens or puppies in a box

outside the
supermarket. Now I have to do that myself. Fortunately, I don't see

those
much any more.

Old February 4th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

if you want to find out I will be right over with Barbie, Lee
Granby wrote in message
Awwww, cat slaves have big hearts!! How does it feel to have four cats

now?

Old February 4th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

and my friend you are beginning to see why I howl laughing about your
assimilation, Lee
Granby wrote in message
Yes dear, we your friends hear you loud and clear. If I could sing, I

would
comfort you with the old song "I'VE HEARD THAT SONG BEFORE'! But, since I
can't sing I will just say YES DEAR WE YOUR FRIENDS HEAR YOU" and let it

go
at that.
"Bettina" wrote in message
On 4 Feb., 09:47, wrote:
Every time I come into the office, Everett has found a new hiding
place. First time, it was deep under my desk, against the back wall,
behind a bunch of cables. I didn't like that - there's a whole lot
of electricity back there - so I pulled him out. I also hoped he would
relax and let me hold him. He did let me hold him, but didn't seem to
relax much, and after I put him down, I felt a small wet spot on my
t-shirt which I believe is cat pee. Poor kitty!

The second time I came in, he was scrunched up in the back of his
carrier, as I posted before.

The third time, I couldn't find him at all. He wasn't in the carrier.
Wasn't under the desk. Wasn't in any of the places that Licky likes to
hide. I looked all over. And then suddenly, I saw, among the books on
my bookshelf, a stripey tail. He was tucked away on top of some books!

That was 45 minutes ago, and I've been sitting here, reading email and
playing Sudoku, and he hasn't moved an inch. He also hasn't made a
sound. I'm actually a little concerned - this doesn't sound at all how
he was described by the volunteers. They said he was active and

playful,
affectionate (which I saw this afternoon), and fine being around other
cats. I'm thinking he feels scared because the scents of my other cats
are all around. What else could it be? Unless he's gotten sick? I might
call the rescue org tomorrow, if he doesn't seem any more outgoing by
the morning.

Joyce

PS - I can't adopt him. I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I
can't I can't I can't I can't I can't...

Well, he needs time to adapt to the new place. There are a lot of
"othercat" scents in the air.
And - do you know how long he was used to have contact to the rescue
people before he was so close with them? He needs more time and a
couple of nights to explore the premises.
Let the other cats meet him, he needs to see what smells like cat.g

Everett is a wonderful name. He choose you. I strongly believe that.
And - if your landlord doesn`t know about your three ones, there is
not much difference
if he doesn`t know about your 4 ones.g Makes sense to me.

love
Bettina

Old February 4th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

would be a sucker bet I think, Lee
Suz wrote in message
On Feb 3, 9:33?pm, wrote:
[...]

LOL, so he's a foster? Shall we take bets on whether Joyce adopts him
or not ;o)
Suz&Spicey

Old February 4th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

He's probably terrified. When Cleo arrived, she was in shell shock and
sat under my desk in her box for 3 weeks solid.

He's ex-feral, right? If he's been tamed, this behaviour is completely
normal and he he needs time to readjust. Sit there quietly and read to
him. Also, if you have a feather wand toy, try and tempt him to play
with it. Whatever you do, don't force yourself on him. Also, get
yourself some really yummy gooshy food, smear it on your fingers and
encourgae him to lick it off. Then he'll learn your fingers are nice
things.

Oh, yes - that's what I did with Licky (and his brother - I had them
both as fosters when they were 3-4 months old). Except I used meat
baby food - boy did they love it! Licky especially loved to lick it
off my fingers. (But that's not how he got his name! In case there's
anyone who doesn't already know this, it's short for "Licorice".)

I'll try a feather toy, too. I was moving a pencil back and forth
really fast near him, and very few cats seem able to resist that, but
he didn't react at all.

Give him time. He's worried, stressed and unsure of himself and is
behaving the only way he knows how - hiding and keeping small and
hunkered down so that the big bad monster doesn't eat him.

Yeah, I can see that he is. But I'm surprised the rescue people didn't
tell me this. They said I should expect him to be affectionate, active
and playful. They also said he's been fostered in a couple of different
places, and that he's used to other cats. Nothing about him needing
some time to get used to a new environment, or spending hours crouched
in the exact same position. So that's why I'm concerned. I just wasn't
expecting this, based on what they told me. It could mean that my house
isn't a good foster home for him.

Thanks,
Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.