My Yuletide plan....

Old September 29th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default My Yuletide plan....

As I mentioned in a prior post, I need to go on the receive only list
this year. However, I have a diabolical master plan cooking up.

Since I live in Canada, it costs me 93 cents for every letter I mail
to the States. That adds up on a list as big as RPCA, when I'm paying
almost double the in-US cost. I was out of work this summer and we
moved across country, racking up more expenses, so...

This year...

I don't have enough money to mail a card to everyone. But I do have
money to mail a few things to a few people. So...

I know there is a book of cat mystery stories making the rounds of
RPCA. I propose to add a few more titles to the list, all feline
themed, with the idea being that when the person with the book is
done, it gets mailed to another person on the list.

This way I can give all you guys a gift AND clear room on my
bookshelves AND save money!

I'm also going to take a swing by the local used bookstore.

On the first day of Advent I will put up a list of at least 5 books,
one per person, to the first takers, and I hope these books will keep
"giving" to rpca for years to come.

--Fil

Old September 29th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
PatM

On Sep 28, 8:17 pm, Enfilade wrote:
As I mentioned in a prior post, I need to go on the receive only list
this year. However, I have a diabolical master plan cooking up.

--Fil

I'm not on the holiday list, but I think you have a great idea! (from
someone actively pinching pennies and "re-gifting" ) g

Old September 29th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Enfilade wrote:

I know there is a book of cat mystery stories making the rounds of
RPCA. I propose to add a few more titles to the list, all feline
themed, with the idea being that when the person with the book is
done, it gets mailed to another person on the list.

This way I can give all you guys a gift AND clear room on my
bookshelves AND save money!

I'm also going to take a swing by the local used bookstore.

On the first day of Advent I will put up a list of at least 5 books,
one per person, to the first takers, and I hope these books will keep
"giving" to rpca for years to come.

That's a great idea, and I just might join in with this. (Unless I
happen to have read all the books you list - I do like to read cat
books. )

By the way, $.93 per card is more than twice than it costs to mail
a card in the US, which is $.41 - bad enough as it is!

Joyce
Old September 29th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

What a lovely idea!

I have a suggestion. Since it can sometimes take months before a book gets
around to everybody who wants it, and some of us don't have the best of
memories, why doesn't each person who reads one of the books put their
initials or newsgroup name inside the front cover. That way if somebody
requests a book somewhere down the line, the person who has it can look and
say, "You've already read it."

Joy

Old September 29th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Joy" wrote in message
ps.com...

Yay! Our own sub-group of http://www.bookcrossing.com !

--
MatSav

Old September 29th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Excellent plan. Go for it.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

ps.com...

Old September 29th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:

Enfilade wrote:

I know there is a book of cat mystery stories making the rounds of
RPCA. I propose to add a few more titles to the list, all feline
themed, with the idea being that when the person with the book is
done, it gets mailed to another person on the list.

This way I can give all you guys a gift AND clear room on my
bookshelves AND save money!

I'm also going to take a swing by the local used bookstore.

On the first day of Advent I will put up a list of at least 5 books,
one per person, to the first takers, and I hope these books will keep
"giving" to rpca for years to come.

That's a great idea, and I just might join in with this. (Unless I
happen to have read all the books you list - I do like to read cat
books. )

By the way, $.93 per card is more than twice than it costs to mail
a card in the US, which is $.41 - bad enough as it is!

How much does it cost to send a card from the U.S. to
Canada? With the U.S. dollar dropping so drastically, it is
no longer worth more than the Canadian dollar. (Well, about
$.0003 CDN more, at today's exchange rate, but that hardly
counts.) First class (airmail) postage from the U.S. to
most of Europe is only $0.90 - how much is overseas postage
from Canada?

Old September 29th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

How much does it cost to send a card from the U.S. to
Canada? With the U.S. dollar dropping so drastically, it is
no longer worth more than the Canadian dollar. (Well, about
$.0003 CDN more, at today's exchange rate, but that hardly
counts.)

Enfilade sent me a URL to a good daily-exchange site. It's focused
mainly on Canada and the USA, and compares the values of those dollars
to currency in many other countries in the world:

http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/today.html

One thing I noticed is, that while the US and Canadian dollars are
both very low as compared to the euro and certainly to the British
pound, our dollars are still a pretty good deal compared to most of
the rest of the world... unless there is something I'm missing here.

Joyce
Old September 30th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I'm also going to point out that Canada Post is expensive. It costs
me 52 cents to mail a letter to my inlaws in Canada. That's a lot
more than 41 cents, considering our currencies are roughly equal.

When I trade toy ponies with Americans, it costs them about $5 to send
a pony to me, and about $8 for me to send one to them.

--Fil

Old September 30th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

What a lovely idea - I might join you in sending some cat-themed books
around!

Hugs,

CatNipped