When will shelters & rescue groups realize they are part of the problem? Nosy applications and long waits!!

Old April 2nd 05, 12:58 AM

Default When will shelters & rescue groups realize they are part of the problem? Nosy applications and long waits!!

While I realize most small rescue groups do good work, my experience
with these groups and with shelters is that their rules for adoption
are indicative of people who are at their core distrustful towards
their fellow humans. There is something evil about having to sit down
and fill out an application for an animal which is so nosy. Many
people object to this repressive arrogance of these shelters and then
they turn to pet shops. So, you see, by not allowing people to adopt
you turn them into liars, or you turn them to pet shops. But they WILL
get a pet, and so what purpose have these stupid, evil, long-winded,
nosy applications do? They have done more evil than good.

I find the rescue group people a lot more sincere than the shelter
people, but all too often their applications look like child-adoption
papers also! The very groups that rage against puppy and kitten mills
actually support them by driving customers to the shops. Its
incredibly sad to go to these shelters and see cage after cage filled
with animals who could have a home if not for the stupid application
forms. The saddest thing I ever saw was a man who was turned down
because he didn't have a vet for the animal he already had. For shame!
The animal he wanted was better off with this gentleman than stuck in
a cage and never adopted! But the rich biddies who run the shelter
didn't think so--and so to me, they are the evil, they are animal
abusers, people who would deny a pet a home! Remember, poor people are
just as deserving of pets as anyone else.

I've become so disgusted that although I've adopted from shelters
before, I will never do so again. I've got nothing to hide, but I
object to being made to feel like a child. The people at these
shelters have such contempt for most of us mere mortals, and frankly
I'd rather not play their game anymore.

Old April 2nd 05, 06:38 PM
em

Why would this 'gentleman' adopting an animal not have a vet for an animal
he already had? Most animal shelters have had too many problems with
adopting animals out, and then having had to deal with their animals babies
being brought in because the promised neuter/spay was not carried out, or
the animal has been brought back because the person did not want to deal
with a perceived medical problem.

I volunteer for my local SPCA and was treasurer for the SPCA Auxiliary for 7
years. Their application forms have become extremely personal in wake of
animal neglect, high animal returns and other such incidences when not
requesting enough information. There were often cases of people renting who
would adopt an animal, only having to return it simply because their
landlord did not allow pets. Now, this approval must be obtained in
advance.

Many questions are asked to ensure they are not handing an animal over to a
potenial abuser or hoarder.

You may find all the questions quite ridiculous, and perhaps, on some of the
shelter forms there are some that are. I had to complete the same form that
everyone who adopts does when I adopted from our SPCA. Everyone is treated
the same, and I take no offense to that.

Why should it be any different, adopting a cat, dog, or human baby? You are
not adopting a stuffed toy, which does not need love, food, attention,
shelter, medical care like a live creature. Try volunteering at an animal
shelter for several months, and you will find out why their rules are so
stringent. Too many human beings are idiots. I think you should have to
take a course and have a license to have children, not to mention a pet. My
friend Connie is trying to get custody of one of her grandchildren because
the mother is a complete idiot who does not bother to feed the 2 year old
regularly.. Her drug habit comes first. The father no longer is with the
mother, and works in Northern Canada.

She neglects her child. You think she should just be able to walk into an
animal shelter, pick out, say, a kitten, and then starve that too? By the
way, pet shops are notorious for extremely poor animal care, so you are just
perpetuating this by purchasing from them.

There are reasons for sticky stipulations. You told the person who was
asking about Heaven to grow up. I suggest you follow your own advice.

Em

--
God requires that we assist the animals, when they need our help. Each being
(human or creature) has the same right of protection.

One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking
at how it treats her animals.
-Mahatma Gandhi -
ups.com...

Old April 4th 05, 01:06 AM
Wendy

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Try volunteering at a shelter or a rescue group for a while and you'll
understand. You won't believe some of the idiots that come in trying to
adopt an animal. I would be senseless to adopt an animal back out to the
same type of person that dumped it outside when the animal was no longer
wanted to begin with.

The animals have been through too much already to risk taking people on face
value. If someone doesn't like the process then let them go buy one from a
pet store or respond to a free to a good home ad in the paper. They just
won't get one of ours because we try to be more responsible than the
animal's previous owners and do our best to insure a good, stable home for
our guys.

Old April 4th 05, 04:29 AM
MaryL

wrote in message
ups.com...
While I realize most small rescue groups do good work, my experience
with these groups and with shelters is that their rules for adoption
are indicative of people who are at their core distrustful towards
their fellow humans.

I filled out an extensive questionnaire and went through a personal
interview when I adopted Duffy. I was not insulted by this process.
Instead, I was delighted that they were taking such precautions to ensure
that he would not be "dumped" once again (as had already happened to him at
least once -- and probably twice -- before). I was approved on the spot,
but I had also brought names with me of people to use as references,
including the veterinarian I have used for many years. Their policy also
required me to sign the adoption papers and then wait 3 days to pick him up.
That, also, is good policy. Those 3 days gave their staff vet time to
examine Duffy and also ensured that I would not suddenly change my mind. It
was an hour round-trip each time, and some people would be annoyed and
refuse to do it. Those people should be rejected, and this is a way to look
for potential problems.

Some people think it is better to find "any" home rather than take a chance
of no adoption. I disagree. It is important to find a loving home with
someone who will really care for the cat or dog that is being considered.
Several years ago, I did home inspections (follow-ups) when I was on the
board of directors of the Humane Society. Most of the homes were excellent,
but I saw some situations that were literally worse than death. One person
had actually moved out of an apartment and left two cats inside without
notifying anyone. The apartment was not scheduled to be opend for several
weeks because tenants had vacated without leaving any notice, and the owner
did not know there were abandoned pets inside. Fortunately, a neighbor
noticed something amiss and notified the president of the Humane Society.
He, in turn, had to get a sheriff's deputy to accompany him with a court
order to open the apartment because they could not locate the owner and did
not want to take chances by delaying further. The apartment was in a
shambles and the cats were in pathetic condition (but were treated and later
adopted). This is the type of situation that the application process you
object to is meant to prevent. Quite frankly, anyone who did not have a vet
for his current cat or dog *should* be denied an adoption. People who work
at shelters are all-too-aware that lack of veterinary care for a
previous/current pet usually means that illness in an adopted pet will not
receive treatment. Those who work in shelters are not "rich biddies," as
you so nicely put it. They face the painful task of finding good homes or
looking at euthanasia (except for no-kill shelters, and they are forced to
limit the number of animals they accept) -- but they also know that lack of
screening often results in tragic end results for their shelter animals.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old April 7th 05, 08:11 PM
Shadow Walker

I have one answer for this message.

If you do not want to treat your animal like a person as in it is an equal
you do not need one.

Thank you,

Shadow Walker

ups.com...

Old April 16th 05, 07:27 PM

I have all rescued pets and I don't disagree with filling out forms.
Research labs love to get their hands on these poor little animals and
they do horrible experiments on them. Not only do they blind them by
putting chemicals in their eyes, but they purposely fracture their
skulls, spines, ect. I would rather fill out a thousand forms and know
that my animals are healthy and happy than to have to lose sleep over
wondering what is happening to the many who weren't adopted.

Navarre Cat Lady
mother of 2 cats, 2 dogs

Just remember that it's a grand illusion

Deep inside we're all the same

STYX

The truth is out there.

X-files

Old April 17th 05, 12:44 AM
Masha

I thought they got them from cat farms such as Hillgrove (which er certain
persons totally unknown to me of course got em closed down). Horrid place
it was, wonder what ole Farmer Brown is up to these days? he he

Old April 18th 05, 04:04 AM
Kalyahna

wrote in message
ups.com...
While I realize most small rescue groups do good work, my experience
with these groups and with shelters is that their rules for adoption
are indicative of people who are at their core distrustful towards
their fellow humans.

Of course we are. We have reason to be. Have you ever seen a hoarder's
home? The conditions of the animals therein? Without an application, such
people could walk in and out and simply add to their collection.

There is something evil about having to sit down
and fill out an application for an animal which is so nosy. Many
people object to this repressive arrogance of these shelters and then
they turn to pet shops.

More and more "pet shops" are working WITH shelters to find homes.
Too much negative publicity in helping out backyard breeders and kitty
mills.

So, you see, by not allowing people to adopt
you turn them into liars, or you turn them to pet shops.

Oh, no. People turn themselves into liars. It's a choice THEY make.

But they WILL
get a pet, and so what purpose have these stupid, evil, long-winded,
nosy applications do? They have done more evil than good.

You sure toss around "evil" a lot for someone who calls Heaven a myth.
And in case you're wondering, I'm an atheist, so I see the pure stupidity
in that quite well.

I find the rescue group people a lot more sincere than the shelter
people, but all too often their applications look like child-adoption
papers also! The very groups that rage against puppy and kitten mills
actually support them by driving customers to the shops.

Nope. People choose that route themselves. Often because they don't
know there are alternatives to pet shops or because they're cheap-ass
*******s who don't realize that paying $50 for an adult cat at a shelter is
a LOT less expensive than buying one from a pet shop. People who are
so concerned about $50 to get a cat that's already altered and vaccinated
aren't planning to ever see a vet, so they shouldn't HAVE a pet. Much less
human children, but that's a different rant.

Its incredibly sad to go to these shelters and see cage after cage filled
with animals who could have a home if not for the stupid application
forms. The saddest thing I ever saw was a man who was turned down
because he didn't have a vet for the animal he already had. For shame!
The animal he wanted was better off with this gentleman than stuck in
a cage and never adopted! But the rich biddies who run the shelter
didn't think so--and so to me, they are the evil, they are animal
abusers, people who would deny a pet a home! Remember, poor people are
just as deserving of pets as anyone else.

The more irritating thing I've ever heard is a little story about a woman
who was interested in a cat. Upon hearing that the cat was part of a bonded
pair and would NOT be adopted singly, she said, "So you'll put down two
cats instead of one?" Our answer was a few weeks later, when the bonded
pair was adopted together into a fabulous home.

I've become so disgusted that although I've adopted from shelters
before, I will never do so again. I've got nothing to hide, but I
object to being made to feel like a child. The people at these
shelters have such contempt for most of us mere mortals, and frankly
I'd rather not play their game anymore.

So don't. We sure as hell don't need your lazy, self-righteous ass clogging
up our system.

Old April 18th 05, 01:35 PM
Ron Herfurth

If you don't want to fill out any forms, give a reference, or deal with
humans in any way then start trapping ferals. Just find a vet that is
willing to do ferals and buy a cat friendly trap. After you're got a
"formless" cat in the trap cover it with a towel, take it to your vet, and
put lots of newspaper under it when you set it down in the vets office. Then
pick your new pet up and take him home.
It helps if you have a good size cage to start them in cause they're a lot
of work to socialize but just think about all the work you saved by not
filling out those pesky forms and dealing with those nosy people. And if you
extrapolate a little, you've saved thousands of unwanted kittens from a life
of suffering.

ron
the above rant was partly sarcastic and partly sincere, figuring out which
parts are which is left to the judgment of the reader.

Old April 19th 05, 04:44 PM

Research labs also rely on people getting cats and dogs from the "free
to a good home" ads in newspapers. A person so inclined gets the animal
at no charge and then sells the animals to the labs. You can never be
too careful when giving someone one of your kittens.

Cat lady of Navarre