Introducing the newest member of our family...

Old March 19th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Introducing the newest member of our family...

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

A cat tree!

The girls have never had one but it's one of those things that I
really thought they 'should' have, only they're so expensive... we
went to Walmart today and noticed somebody had a cat-tree-in-a-box in
their cart, so we went over to the pet section and had a look and it
was only $30. Of course it's made of cardboard with el-cheapo carpet
glued onto it, and it's not a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but
it'll do for now... we brought it home, opened the box and figured out
how to put it together (it's clever and it has a built-in spring to
brace itself against the ceiling and hold itself together under
tension...) and then we showed it to the cats.

Scouty took one look at it and slunk out of the room with her tail
between her legs.

Silver climbed onto the side table next to it and put one paw on it
and said 'it doesn't look very sturdy meowmie', and refused to take
any further interest.

Tessie made up for them. John got me to bring her into the room and
put her onto one of the platforms while we were still erecting it and
she looked around her in puzzlement for a moment 'how did I get up
here and how do I get down?!' but when I tried to lift her down so we
could put it into place she didn't want to get off! She was up that
thing like it was a kitty ladder to fun. John waves the
feather-on-a-stick around the post to attract her attention, and it
only took her about ten minutes to scamper her way up to the very top
platform, and to figure out how to climb down again. She had a BLAST!
Even if they never use it again, I think Tessie got a third of its
value in fun already

And of course here are the photos -
Perched at the very top -
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315zEFPwK

snip

Great pics! I'm sure Scouty and Silver will soon follow Tessie's lead!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old March 20th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

Umm... how do I get down from here?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315BGENQR

Hmmm... what's this strange blue tree doing in my living room?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315MEORJr

I'll just watch...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315VPWrIK

Intent on her prey -
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315zupFqK

Let me at it!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15899315wAOVPZ

(and there are more in the album...)

Looks like a hit, at least with Tessie. Glad to see she enjoys it.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old March 20th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-19, Enfilade penned:

My mom allegedly disapproved of the bitties and our choice to keep
them, and yet the first time she came over with them here, she went
out to pet valu and dropped $70 on a second cat tree, with the
statement "one isn't enough for 4 cats."

That's parents for you. My dad "doesn't like cats," so he called
Oscar "Fang" and referred to her as my puppy. He also bought her
little mousies as a kitten and would play with her -- both of them on
all fours!

Yup. Hates cats. Check.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 20th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-19, Enfilade penned:

My mom allegedly disapproved of the bitties and our choice to keep
them, and yet the first time she came over with them here, she went
out to pet valu and dropped $70 on a second cat tree, with the
statement "one isn't enough for 4 cats."

That's parents for you. My dad "doesn't like cats," so he called
Oscar "Fang" and referred to her as my puppy. He also bought her
little mousies as a kitten and would play with her -- both of them on
all fours!

Yup. Hates cats. Check.

Isn't that funny. My dad always complained about the cats too. Wanted
to call the first one that showed up on our steps "Dog". Yeah, he also
combed them, fed them cheese, carpeted a wall and built a cat tree
(back when NO one had cattrees). Aren't dads funny

Old March 21st 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-19, Karen AKA Kajikit penned:

Scouty took one look at it and slunk out of the room with her tail
between her legs.

Silver climbed onto the side table next to it and put one paw on it
and said 'it doesn't look very sturdy meowmie', and refused to take
any further interest.

Tessie made up for them.

I think it's pretty normal for cats to be apprehensive of a cat tree
at first. I kind of rushed things by putting treats on each level, so
that Oscar would be tempted to go up all on her own. Then I got even
more impatient and picked her up and put her on the middle level.

I wouldn't be surprised if it just takes S&S a few days to get used to
the idea of the thing.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 29th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:42:26 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:

A cat tree!

The girls have never had one but it's one of those things that I
really thought they 'should' have, only they're so expensive... we
went to Walmart today and noticed somebody had a cat-tree-in-a-box in
their cart, so we went over to the pet section and had a look and it
was only $30. Of course it's made of cardboard with el-cheapo carpet
glued onto it, and it's not a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but
it'll do for now... we brought it home, opened the box and figured out
how to put it together (it's clever and it has a built-in spring to
brace itself against the ceiling and hold itself together under
tension...) and then we showed it to the cats.

snip

Sounds like the same el-cheapo I bought from Wallyworld - with pretty
much the same initial reaction. (Note - one word of warning though. It
it is like the one I bought you adjust the height by adjusting a bolt
on top which pushes against the ceiling. Over time I have to retighten
the bolt, or vigorus play will topple it.) At the time it was just
Little Bit and Sammy, and either of them thought much of it. I bought
of pack of cat treats (something they love but don't get much since
Sammy went on a restricted diet) and started leaving a treat or two on
the platforms. It wasn't long before Sammy was climbing all over it
checking for treat deposits. Little Bit took longer, and to this day
still refuses to climb to the top platform, but she is often found on
the lower and middle platform - and she seems to prefer to use the
bottom part of the pole as a scratch post over the siscal rope
variety. when Spotty arrived she ignored it at first, but after seeing
the others climb it she has really taken to it. Now she's the most
enthusiastic user, and it's fairly common for her scoot around in
circles on a platform by bunny kicking the post.

Actually it's probably time to replace the one I have, as the carpet
on the post is getting ragged.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 30th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sounds really good karen I have just been on to my server
as I could not send news out so now I have to try nad send
and I think it works, I was looking at the card you sent me
before you left here last night. Hugs Jean.