Natural prey

Old December 14th 12, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Natural prey

On 12/13/2012 1:45 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
m...
Costco has finally brought back their packaged duck halves, which I
dearly love. Last time I saw them was three years ago when I just got
out of hospital.

So I've got it in the oven. The aroma is heavenly. Little Feet starts
yelling, "Hey! HEY! Duck is my natural prey!" He even comes over and
yells at the stove to hurry up.

I am totally unable to eat duck since I had Francis Drake, my Muscovy
boy. He died of an unknown illness but he was so lovely and charming
that I could never eat duck again. I can't eat a goose either after
having Shylock and Enid.
I don't mind eating chickens.

I have a friend who uses the eggs they produce, but when one of her
chickens dies, she holds a funeral and buries it! Obviously she's a
vegetarian. (The kind who eats unfertilized eggs and dairy products, but
nothing that was once a living creature.)

I have nothing against vegetarians but that seems like such a waste of a
good chicken. Does she not know anyone who might want it? Granted,
plucking and cleaning a chicken isn't something I'd want to do...

Jill
Old December 14th 12, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
On 12/13/2012 1:45 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I have a friend who uses the eggs they produce, but when one of her
chickens dies, she holds a funeral and buries it! Obviously she's a
vegetarian. (The kind who eats unfertilized eggs and dairy products, but
nothing that was once a living creature.)

I have nothing against vegetarians but that seems like such a waste of a
good chicken. Does she not know anyone who might want it? Granted,
plucking and cleaning a chicken isn't something I'd want to do...

Jill

Ummm..... If she considers eating it morally wrong, why would she
contribute to someone else's "sin"?
Old December 14th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/14/2012 2:15 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
On 12/13/2012 1:45 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I have a friend who uses the eggs they produce, but when one of her
chickens dies, she holds a funeral and buries it! Obviously she's a
vegetarian. (The kind who eats unfertilized eggs and dairy products, but
nothing that was once a living creature.)

I have nothing against vegetarians but that seems like such a waste of
a good chicken. Does she not know anyone who might want it? Granted,
plucking and cleaning a chicken isn't something I'd want to do...

Jill

Ummm..... If she considers eating it morally wrong, why would she
contribute to someone else's "sin"?

Ah! Okay, now I understand. Well, not really but I've run into a lot
of allegedly superior moralistic people over the years.

Jill
Old December 14th 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message news

jmcquown wrote:
On 12/13/2012 1:45 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I have a friend who uses the eggs they produce, but when one
of her
chickens dies, she holds a funeral and buries it! Obviously
she's a
vegetarian. (The kind who eats unfertilized eggs and dairy
products, but
nothing that was once a living creature.)

I have nothing against vegetarians but that seems like such a
waste of a good chicken. Does she not know anyone who might
want it? Granted, plucking and cleaning a chicken isn't
something I'd want to do...

Jill

Ummm..... If she considers eating it morally wrong, why would
she contribute to someone else's "sin"?

Also, if any animal dies from unknown "natural" causes, the meat
from it may not be fit for human consumption.

--
MatSav

Old December 15th 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
On 12/13/2012 1:45 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I have a friend who uses the eggs they produce, but when one
of her
chickens dies, she holds a funeral and buries it! Obviously
she's a
vegetarian. (The kind who eats unfertilized eggs and dairy
products, but
nothing that was once a living creature.)

I have nothing against vegetarians but that seems like such a
waste of a good chicken. Does she not know anyone who might
want it? Granted, plucking and cleaning a chicken isn't
something I'd want to do...

Jill

Ummm..... If she considers eating it morally wrong, why would
she contribute to someone else's "sin"?

Also, if any animal dies from unknown "natural" causes, the meat
from it may not be fit for human consumption.

Uh huh. That's what my grandparents and great and great grandparents
must have said as they were throwing away the chickens they'd bothered
to raise. Of course they'd have eaten them long before the chickens
died. Waste not want not was the way they were raised.

Jill
Old December 19th 12, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chak

jmcquown wrote in news:aj11a7FnfvsU1
@mid.individual.net:

I have nothing against vegetarians but that seems like such a waste of a
good chicken. Does she not know anyone who might want it? Granted,
plucking and cleaning a chicken isn't something I'd want to do...

Dying of 'natural causes' doesn't mean the chicken is safe to eat.

Chak

--
I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to
seriously re-evaluate your life.
Old December 24th 12, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Chak" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote in news:aj11a7FnfvsU1
@mid.individual.net:

I have nothing against vegetarians but that seems like such a waste of a
good chicken. Does she not know anyone who might want it? Granted,
plucking and cleaning a chicken isn't something I'd want to do...

Dying of 'natural causes' doesn't mean the chicken is safe to eat.

Chak

Never eat a chicken that has died unless you witness it getting run over by
a car in full health (or similar sudden death like a fox killed them all and
took one)
It's not safe for health to eat animals that have "died" from unknown
causes.
I will eat pheasant roadkill if they were not there a few hours before.
I live near a shooting estate and they do sometimes meet an untimely death
from a car. Pity to waste them. They are delicious.
Yes, I do have to pluck and gut them. But let's be frank, if anyone eats
meat someone has done it all for you.

Old December 24th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chak

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Yes, I do have to pluck and gut them. But let's be frank, if anyone
eats meat someone has done it all for you.

I used to think I could never do that, but it turns out I'm pretty handy.
:-)

Chak

Old December 24th 12, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Chak wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Yes, I do have to pluck and gut them. But let's be frank, if anyone
eats meat someone has done it all for you.

I used to think I could never do that, but it turns out I'm pretty handy.
:-)

The idea of doing that seems pretty gross, but yes, it's important to keep
that awareness in mind if you're going to eat meat. I used to say that if
I ever found myself in a situation where I had to hunt and clean my own
meat, I'd become a vegetarian. But if things were so dire that I had to do
all that, I suspect I would eat anything that was available. At first, I'd
probably hate having to kill and clean an animal, but I'd get used to it, I'm
sure. Nothing like the danger of starvation to find yourself doing things you
never thought you could do!

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old December 24th 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Chak" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly! I am fully aware that, if my meat did not come all neatly
butchered and packaged in plastic at the supermarket, I would become a
vegetarian in a hurry.

At last - some useful prey! Christina Websell[_2_] Cat anecdotes 22 July 19th 10 06:24 PM
Prey Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 2 August 12th 07 09:15 PM
Predator or prey? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 15 October 5th 06 12:39 AM
Prey Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 2 May 29th 06 07:25 AM
That "prey" sound Karen Cat anecdotes 15 September 11th 05 03:39 PM