Quarterly? Semi-annually? Annually?

Old December 19th 12, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

Default Quarterly? Semi-annually? Annually?

Well, had to do a reasonably decent clean up, in preparation of the
exterminators being here tomorrow (Who, me, putting it off until nearly
the last minute?). This did involve some vacuuming.

Now, Apache has been with us nearly a whole year. The reason I mention
this, is that when I started up the vacuum, she jerked her head up with
a "What the HELL is that noise?" look, before running off.

Um, I thought I vacuumed more than once a year, but I guess not!

After I finished, I went around to each of the cats, cuddled them and
apologized for making such horrible noise. Poor Apache was sitting in my
closet looking very concerned, and didn't even argue about being picked
up and cuddled.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
Old December 19th 12, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/18/2012 11:45 PM, Mark Edwards wrote:
Well, had to do a reasonably decent clean up, in preparation of the
exterminators being here tomorrow (Who, me, putting it off until nearly
the last minute?). This did involve some vacuuming.

Now, Apache has been with us nearly a whole year. The reason I mention
this, is that when I started up the vacuum, she jerked her head up with
a "What the HELL is that noise?" look, before running off.

Um, I thought I vacuumed more than once a year, but I guess not!

After I finished, I went around to each of the cats, cuddled them and
apologized for making such horrible noise. Poor Apache was sitting in my
closet looking very concerned, and didn't even argue about being picked
up and cuddled.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Vacuuming is a *chore*. Especially when one is dealing with cat fur

Jill
Old December 19th 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

That's very true. I paid a lot for a vacuum cleaner that is supposed to be
especially good for cat hair. Ha! I have a little broom and dustpan set
about three or four feet high that I got from Miles Kimball. That little
broom picks up the cat hair off the carpet very nicely. True, I have to
pick it off the broom, but that's no more trouble than emptying the vacuum,
and it works a lot better than the vacuum.

Joy

Old December 19th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

One advantage to living in Spain is no carpet anywhere in the
apartments. So I never need to vacuum anymore. I just sweep the floors
and give them a wash every once in a while. Of course, no carpet means
that as soon as I have finished sweeping, I get little tumbleweeds of
Sweety-fur rolling down the hallway again. But that is preferable to
having cat hair tangled into the carpet, and having to run the vacuum
over the same spot 5 times before it will pick up all of it.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old December 19th 12, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Nadia N. wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Not to mention that fleas love to burrow in carpet!

--
Joyce

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old December 19th 12, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Vacuuming is a *chore*. Especially when one is dealing with cat fur

Jill

That's very true. I paid a lot for a vacuum cleaner that is supposed to
be especially good for cat hair. Ha! I have a little broom and dustpan
set about three or four feet high that I got from Miles Kimball. That
little broom picks up the cat hair off the carpet very nicely. True, I
have to pick it off the broom, but that's no more trouble than emptying
the vacuum, and it works a lot better than the vacuum.

Joy

I have a Dyson (cylinder model) and I find it very good for picking up cat
hair. I had an ordinary vacuum cleaner before that - can't remember what
model now and it never did a good job with dog/cat hair on carpets. The
first time I used my new Dyson (many years ago now) I'd only run it for a
few minutes and it looked like I'd picked up a whole dog in the drum it was
so full of hair :-) I had to empty it twice when I went over the whole
house that first time.
It's very good at picking up dust too. It has tools that you can dust with.
They are quite expensive though, it was a leap of faith when I spent so much
money on one but I haven't regretted it. My only worry is if it passes away
of old age. The switch that turns it on stopped working so I jammed it open
with a broken jigsaw blade, that did the trick and it is still giving me
sterling service.
I forget how long I've had it, before I had cats anyway, perhaps even 20
years. They were fashionable and new at the time. My model is a DC02, one
of the first ones, and still sucks microns of dirt up perfectly. And cat
hairs!

If I used it every day, there would never be a cat hair or a speck of dust
in my house. However I don't..

I have no connection with the company that makes Dysons, btw. I just think
everyone should consider getting a Dyson when your present machine hits the
dust.
No flea eggs, or fleas (if any) have ever survived the Dyson suction.
None of my dogs or cats have ever had fleas even in the summer.
If a couple escaped the Dyson they wouldn't survive here in the winter
anyway! Fleas love centrally heated houses.
They could not tolerate how cold my house gets during the night in a cold
spell. It was only last Wednesday that when I got up in the morning it was
2C in my bathroom which is roughly 34F. It was a bit nippy in there.

Tweed

Old December 19th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Joy" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

I've got a DC01, maybe slightly older than yours. I got one on
the back of a recommendation from a friend, who had thoroughly
abused his machine when renovating his house - he treated it like
an industrial vacuum cleaner, cleaning up builder's waste such as
a collapsed lathe-and-plaster ceiling, and a lot of brick dust.
When he bought his, in the early '90s, the Dyson came with a
lifetime guarantee. Needless to say, his machine stopped working
after being misused, so he claimed on the warranty - which was
honoured, and most of the parts of his machine were replaced,
free of charge!

I have no connection with the company that makes Dysons, btw.
I just think everyone should consider getting a Dyson when
your present machine hits the dust.

They *were* good vacuum cleaners, when they were made in the UK.
In my opinion, they're not quite so good now, since production
was moved to countries in the far east, with a lower cost base
:-(.

--
MatSav

Old December 20th 12, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Let's hope mine doesn't die yet then. The DCO1 was an upright version IIRC.
My DC02 (cylinder version of of DC01) is still doing a perfect job even
though as i said the on/off switch failed but jamming it on works.
It is more than elderly but it works perfectly. If I could be bothered to
use it every day no dust or cat hair would touch my house, but unfortunately
I can't be bothered and only do it once every two weeks.
Tweed

Old December 20th 12, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

[...]

I LOVE my Dyson. The only thing I don't like about it is when vacuuming
stairs. I use the hose with the small attachment like you'd use on
upholstery but the hose always wants to pull it back to the base so when
I get to the upper stairs it's difficult. I finally broke down and
bought a Roomba. I love setting that thing loose and it amuses the
cats, too. It's only about as loud as a hairdryer so they're not as
afraid of it as they are of the Dyson. My upstairs is mostly hardwood
and it does a great job on it though it takes a while.

Old December 20th 12, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

Even a dyson cannot reach to the upper stairs from downstairs. You have to
move it up as you go.
Mine is a cylinder one and sits on every stair as I go up.