Big cat stopper

Old January 19th 21, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default Big cat stopper

My constant supervision has helped over the years, sometimes they even play
(while supervised), but my aggressive cat's natural tendency is always
lurking. She is a great cat to people, she is not really a bully, she's just
ETERNALLY AGGRESSIVE against anything that moves and isn't 10 times bigger
than she is.

I found another humane way of stopping my big aggressive cat from constantly
annoying my smaller cat. It will require testing, but it looks promising. Just
leave a door (bathroom with a view to outside, or whatever) open enough for
the smaller cat to get through but not big enough for the larger aggressive
cat. That will work well unless the victim is much smaller, but it's possible
here.

That would be nice since it would be on demand.

Other such possibilities would include some sort of ramp/bridge that only
allows a certain weight... (I hope that sounds funny).

The small cat gets lots of use out of the Skyway where the aggressive cat is
mostly prohibited from going.

Have fun.

--

I post at the risk of being trolled by trolls who self-admittedly are here to
do nothing but troll...
Old January 20th 21, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

The small cat took to it immediately.

Probably should've done that a LONG time ago.

PRELIMINARILY speaking, it's marvelous.

I wrote:

My constant supervision has helped over the years, sometimes they even
play (while supervised), but my aggressive cat's natural tendency is
always lurking. She is a great cat to people, she is not really a bully,
she's just ETERNALLY AGGRESSIVE against anything that moves and isn't 10
times bigger than she is.

I found another humane way of stopping my big aggressive cat from
constantly annoying my smaller cat. It will require testing, but it
looks promising. Just leave a door (bathroom with a view to outside, or
whatever) open enough for the smaller cat to get through but not big
enough for the larger aggressive cat. That should work if the victim is
much smaller, like here.

Old January 20th 21, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

On 10003 Sep 1993, John Doe wrote:

The small cat took to it immediately.

Probably should've done that a LONG time ago.

PRELIMINARILY speaking, it's marvelous.

Very glad you seem to have found a mitigation! Thank you for sharing.

-- Mark
Old February 5th 21, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Mark Carroll wrote:

John Doe wrote:

The small cat took to it immediately.

Probably should've done that a LONG time ago.

PRELIMINARILY speaking, it's marvelous.

Very glad you seem to have found a mitigation! Thank you for sharing.

Now the small cat is using it when the big cat plays too rough (like
always). No more need to referee. No need to pay constant attention. I
thought their Skyway provided an adequate sleeping place even though more
restricted, but the small cat has slept in the private room since I began
using the latch.

Need to keep Toobig's claws clipped so it can't hook the small cat when it's
slipping into the private room. Coincidently, Toobig is the easiest cat in
the world to clip its claws, it has no fear of humans (or even a vacuum
cleaner).

Something like that should be available regardless of the size difference.
But how...

Old March 14th 21, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

John Doe wrote:

Mark Carroll wrote:

John Doe wrote:

The small cat took to it immediately.

Probably should've done that a LONG time ago.

PRELIMINARILY speaking, it's marvelous.

Very glad you seem to have found a mitigation! Thank you for sharing.

Now the small cat is using it when the big cat plays too rough (like
always). No more need to referee. No need to pay constant attention. I
thought their Skyway provided an adequate sleeping place even though
more restricted, but the small cat has slept in the private room since I
began using the latch.

Need to keep Toobig's claws clipped so it can't hook the small cat when
it's slipping into the private room. Coincidently, Toobig is the easiest
cat in the world to clip its claws, it has no fear of humans (or even a
vacuum cleaner).

Something like that should be available regardless of the size
difference. But how...

The latch is very simple and has fine adjustment for the door gap.

On its current setting... The big cat chases the small cat until the small
cat runs through the gap. Repeat. After a while of in and out running
around, sometimes the big cat pushes its way into that room after the
small cat goes back there. But then the small cat squeezes back out and
the big cat is stuck in there... The small cat appears to know how to work
the situation. The big cat probably wants to hang out by the open screened
window anyway, so not all is lost.
Old May 4th 21, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Still working like a charm.

The method can probably be used for homes with both dogs and cats. Anything
that is larger and aggressive. Regulars know, but... Cats suffer from
anxiety, especially indoors under pressure. They don't like being chased
around (shocker).

It's improved things 100% here. Much better for me. Better knowing that the
small cat is able to de-escalate the situation by itself. And it does.
Interesting seeing how the private room is being used during play. Possible
the big cat shows signs of not wanting the small cat to run out of reach. In
other words, it might actually miss it. And it knows too much badgering will
cause the small cat to run away.

The big cat is still problematic if I'm not here and the door is not
properly latched slightly open. But it wasn't intended to fix Toobig's
psychology.