Somewhat OT - spiders

Old October 14th 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Somewhat OT - spiders

I have always been sort of creeped out by spiders. About 11 years ago,
I worked at a water park. One day there was a huge spider at one of the
slide splashdowns. It was about 4 or 5 inches across. I killed it. A
few days later my tuxedo cat IKE disappeared. Karma? I never kill
spiders any more. When I see one in the house, I carefully capture it
in a jar and set it free outside. I don't know if they can survive
outside in the winter but I give them the chance.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 14th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I have always been sort of creeped out by spiders. About 11 years ago,
I worked at a water park. One day there was a huge spider at one of the
slide splashdowns. It was about 4 or 5 inches across. I killed it. A
few days later my tuxedo cat IKE disappeared. Karma? I never kill
spiders any more. When I see one in the house, I carefully capture it
in a jar and set it free outside. I don't know if they can survive
outside in the winter but I give them the chance.
----------
Big spiders are the one thing that creep me out too, I am OK with anything
else.
I figure that it's not their fault I don't like them, and I would hate to
kill them so I've devised a method to catch them so I can put them outside.
I can't do the glass over them with cardboard slipped underneath as it makes
them run up into the glass and I drop it in horror.
So, it's the big fluffy towel, gather the spider up inside it, and shake the
towel outside.
I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.
I need to evict her and must gird my loins soon as I am fed up with her
eyeballing me when I have my breakfast ;-)
Tweed

Old October 14th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.

I would guess so!! Any spider that's big enough for you to determine her
gender is too big for me.

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old October 15th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's
been there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house
spider web between my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her
thingies that poke out in front of her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.

I would guess so!! Any spider that's big enough for you to determine
her gender is too big for me.

have you met the Aussie Huntsman Spider?

*DO NOT* click if you get freaked out by spiders, OK?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~pterren..._Dads_hand.JPG

Yeah, I've seen pictures of them before. *Pictures* of spiders don't
freak me out.

I had a sudden realization a little while ago about my feelings toward
bugs. I realized that what i really hate is the *surprise* factor. You
know, you're sitting there innocently, and suddenly there's some big,
multi-legged thing crawling, inches from your arm, or face, or wherever.
I always act like the classic shrieky girly-girl when that happens, but
a second later, I'm trying to assure whoever may be there that everything's
OK, while trying to hide my embarrassment. I just really can't stand being
startled by a bug, especially when it's well inside what I consider to be
my personal space.

Joyce

--
I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better
for it. -- Abraham Lincoln
Old October 15th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's
been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web
between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in
front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.

I would guess so!! Any spider that's big enough for you to determine her
gender is too big for me.

she's big but soon I have to catch her and put her outside. I have to be
brave about it. She's very happy where she is but I am not.
Tweed

Old October 16th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's
been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web
between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in
front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.

I would guess so!! Any spider that's big enough for you to determine her
gender is too big for me.

I am proud to announce that I decided to gird my loins and evict her this
morning.
I'm a wuss about big hairy spiders, it makes no difference at all that I
know they cannot harm me, for some reason they give me the horrors. I know
it is not logical.
I've been putting it off, of course. It seemed easier to leave her there
than challenge myself to do it.
Anyway, no spiders were harmed in the process and it's done. She ran when I
moved the spice jars and hid and I thought, no, I have to find you and I
did. She curled up in fright when she knew she was discovered but I scooped
her up carefully with a wooden spoon and put her outside the window. She'll
just have to find another house to be a house spider in.
If you all knew how difficult it was for me to do that, you'd be proud of me
too.

It's very easy to kill insects & spiders because you *can* and you don't
like the look of them, but it was not her fault that I have a problem with
her appearance, is it? She deserves to live.
(I'm beginning to think I'm turning into a Buddhist)

Tweed

Old October 16th 10, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I am proud to announce that I decided to gird my loins and evict her this
morning.
I'm a wuss about big hairy spiders, it makes no difference at all that I
know they cannot harm me, for some reason they give me the horrors. I know
it is not logical.

But it's also not at all uncommon. There are just some animals that give
many people the shivers - spiders, snakes, rats and other creepy-crawlies.
I think we probably evolved the capacity to be creeped out by these
creatures, but it seems we need some life experiences (or teaching) to
activate it.

I am also creeped out by spiders and many insects, but if I'm not
surprised by them, it's less upsetting. Seeing a bug outdoors is less
creepy than inside. Seeing a spider on the ceiling doesn't bother me
as much as one crawling on the bathroom floor while I'm on the toilet
(a true story! ).

I really like snakes and don't have an irrational fear of them at all.
But I do have a *rational* fear of a strange snake encountered on a path
(or pretty much anywhere), until I can determine that it's not venomous.

Anyway, no spiders were harmed in the process and it's done. She ran when I
moved the spice jars and hid and I thought, no, I have to find you and I
did. She curled up in fright when she knew she was discovered but I scooped
her up carefully with a wooden spoon and put her outside the window. She'll
just have to find another house to be a house spider in.
If you all knew how difficult it was for me to do that, you'd be proud of me
too.

I am! I really like your motto "It's not the spider's fault that I can't
stand it", and I applaud your willingness to treat it humanely despite
your revulsion.

Joyce

--
Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
Old October 16th 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 17/10/2010 3:54 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Wow Tweed. Yes, very proud of you!

Yowie
Old October 16th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

She was a big one, and yes, I wanted to remove her without harming her and I
did it. Yay.
I can't describe how I feared doing that. She'd been there for two weeks or
so and I knew either she'd be eyeballing me all winter when I was eating my
breakfast or she had to go.
She went.
Tweed