New walking spot

Old October 16th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default New walking spot

My company moved to a new building over the past weekend, and the new
location is right next to the San Francisco Bay. There is a spectacular
view. I'm just a peon, so I don't have an office with this spectacular
view, but I did decide to go out at lunchtime and take a walk on the
walking path that runs along the shore of the Bay for several miles. It's
a lovely and very well-maintained public park. Looks like I won't need
to use my treadmill until the winter rains in January.

Fringe benefit: as I was walking on this path, I noticed a couple of
signs notifying the public that the area had a feral cat colony that was
being managed by a volunteer group. Apparently, many pet cats were dumped
in the area (you know, so they could go "back to nature"), and of course
some of them weren't neutered, so they started reproducing. The rescue
group has done TNR on most of the cats and they continue to feed them.
I didn't see any cats on my walk to day, but I'm not surprised. Most of
the friendly cats have been adopted into homes, so I guess the ones who
still live in the park are too shy to show themselves. Still, it's nice
to know they're there.

Joyce

--
There is no alternative to being yourself.
Old October 16th 10, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

sounds like a wonderful spot. Would carry some treats in case one of the
site managers show up on your walk. The cats do own it you know.

Old October 16th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure you'll get a glimpse of them sooner or later. Yes, good natured
people think cats should be "in the wild" and they couldn't be more wrong.
Unless they're truly feral, they don't know how to fend for themselves. And
they breed indescriminately. Thankfully there are people like this rescue
group who know better. They feed them and do the TNR thing. (I *think*
this San Francisco group was written up in Cat Fancy magazine once.)

I'm told there is a colony of ferals where I live, in a copse of woods
behind the tennis courts. I've never seen them, but then again I'm not a
member of the club. And even I was, I don't play tennis. LOL There was a
resident collecting money last year to help feed and do a TNR program for
the colony here. I donated what I could at the time and got a nice
thank-you note. Local vets donate their services to make sure they have
their shots and are neutered/spayed. But of course the cats still have to
be fed. And that takes money.

Bast bless all the rescue people and organizations out there who take care
of these homeless kitties. Persia was probably an abandoned cat... much to
my delight she came to live with me In fact, she insisted on it!

Jill

Old October 16th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

I believe I told you this years ago. There are a couple friends of my
family who
live in the Castro (yes, they are) in the City who regularly sweep
through known
feral colonies looking for abandoned house pets, who do not do well in
feral cat
colonies, but survive anyway. These refugees are usually easily
spotted and with
minimal effort, these dudes bring them back to their small pet shop
which I think
(remember, I haven't been back to BayArea since '87) is in urban San
Mateo area.

My job is in the San Mateo area, too. In fact, it's right next to the
San Mateo bridge. So the rescue group that works with these ferals
are some Peninsula feral-cat group. There are plenty of groups around
that do this. Where I live (East Bay) there are at least 3 such groups,
maybe more. And believe me, they all have plenty of work to do. There
are a lot of feral cats around! (Apologies to non-hopitus readers for
the very local references.)

They are not *collectors* but keep the refugees and care for them very
well, taking
one and then the other lucky cat home for weekend visits. Locals know
about their
operation and send friends to their shop for would-be adopters not
insisting on
kittens. Last I heard from relatives there they are still in business.
This pair is much
more nosy, insistent of inspecting future homes of adoptees, and
actually do a
background investigation on those who seek parenthood of their
charges. Takes all
kinds, right? They don't have to pay for the background checks, they
got friends in the biz.

Good for them! They sound nice, and very smart about pet adoptions.

Joyce

--
Speak your mind even if your voice cracks while you're saying it.