HELP! Scared & Confused!!

Old April 30th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
~Cat Lover~

Default HELP! Scared & Confused!!

I have a 15 year old kitty cat. About a month ago I noticed her right
eye could not blink. Her third eyelid DOES close, so she is keeping her
eye moist. Took her to the vet, did tests, seems she has some facial
paralysis. We scheduled an MRI for her in Madison (I live in Wi, that is
about two hours away from me and it is where out Vet. Teaching
Hospital is). The neurologist said the following:
She has a lot of fluid in her middle ear area (but they do NOT think
that is what's causing her paraylsis. ) HOWEVER- if not treated it could
lead to other infections, diseases etc. The MRI showed NO sign of brain
disease.
My options are to do a bulla osteotomy, or just flush the ears out. But
flushing may only get some of the fluid, and probably will come back.
**He also said if we DON'T do it, there more than likely will be
problems, infections, diseases as a result down the road.
**I guess my reluctancy is due to this- she has had this for awhile,
and
she has done ok so far... my concern is putting her thru this. THEY
were not concerned about her going UNDER again a couple days apart-
that's MY concern?! (She was under for the MRI today, the surgery
would be Friday.. her organs are fine.)
She has had chronic upper respiratory infections, sniffles etc for a
couple days at a time, then just go away. It was always treated.. she's
had this for over 10 years.
She had a bad ear infection last year, all kinds of meds & cultures-
finally went away. Then developed a polyp, biopsied it, it was negative.
My concern is to ME- she dosn't have all the signs that warrants this
type of surgery...
**Maybe this is the source of her chronic upper respiratory issues,
but
she has them for a few days and then is fine. (He didn't say that, I
just concluded it)
She has had head twitching or jerking (like up & down) too. You don't
see it unless you stare at her, it hasn't gotten worse within the last
year either. Maybe the fluid build up is causing that, but nothing was
conclusive... I am also concerned if I DON'T do it now, she will be
older when I may HAVE to do it!
ANY help, thoughts, input? PLEASE help us out ....
Shirley

Old May 1st 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

On Apr 29, 9:36*pm, (~Cat Lover~) wrote:
[...]

Hi Shirley,

I understand your dilemma. I too have a 15 year old cat and am always
trying to decide between quality of health and quality of life when it
comes to what I am willing to put her through at the vet's for the
sake of a better "long-term" outcome. It is possible that persistent
chronic fluid in the middle ear can lead to respiratory infections,
but it's tough to make a judgment call based on what might happen. Do
they feel that it is in any way related to the open eye? If not, then
that too is a red herring in your decision. However, you might want
to ask about the head-twitching or jerking because fluid in the ear
will affect sense of balance and if it is bothering her then you have
active symptoms which are making her daily life a bit uncomfortable
(or maybe more than that since cats will not generally complain about
much out loud when they are in discomfort or even downright pain). Do
you see any evidence that her hearing is in anyway affected? Even if
her hearing is normal, you might want to think about tinnitus or any
upset in her hearing which is most distressing to a cat.

I'm not trying to scare you with unlikely possibilites or anything,
but I suspect that if you have any evidence that she is having
symptoms from the fluid in the ear that might guide you toward doing
something about it, regardless of whether or not the infection risk is
higher or not.

By the way, the sedative used for the MRI is probably not the same
thing as the gas anesthesia used for surgery so it's not likely to
increase her anesthesia risk.

Good luck, whichever way you go

--tension
Old May 1st 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Shirley,

It sounds like this is not a life or death situation that needs to be
dealt with this week. If you have any hesitation at all, I would hold
off on the surgery. Maybe talk to your regular vet or other vets and see
what they think. I don't see why they'd need to rush her in to surgery
on Friday.

I also would want to be very sure that this is the right thing for your
kitty.

That's interesting about your ktity's eye. Last year, our then 15 yo cat
was diagnosed with a middle ear infection. We had been fighting an ear
infection with him for some months and then found it was also in the
middle ear. The vet put him under for a thorough cleaning out of the ear
and found that his eardrum is gone. We talked to a surgeon about the
middle ear operation, but somehow just could not put him through it
right then. He did not seem that uncomfortable and we chose to continue
to treat as we were. His infection actually got better. I don't know how
the inner ear looks now, but the outer infection got much better and he
seems happy and healthy.

The eye -- the surgeon said one of the complications that can happen
from the surgery is an accidental cutting of the nerve that controls the
eyelid. He said it is near the area they would be operating and is hard
to see. He said we would have to apply drops in the eye for the rest of
his life if that should occur.

Each cat's case is different, but just please only do this when you're
certain that it's right.

Take care,

Rhonda

Old May 1st 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"~Cat Lover~" wrote

I'd be scared and confused too. It sounds like your kitty may have had a
mini-stroke to me but I guess they tested for that and didnt find anything.