Transporting -- how?

Old March 15th 04, 01:39 AM
Lotte

Default Transporting -- how?

Greetings everyone --

Well, I found a perfect place for Mr. X... it's in California!! I've never
transported a cat, not to mention an incontinent one, that far, and I have
no idea how to do it. Should I take him as a carry-on on a plane? Drive
him? Are there services that will transport animals safely from Texas to
California? How do I find out what kind of health records he needs, etc.?
Will he have to go into quarantine? Aieeeeee..... is there a FAQ somewhere
about this?

Thanks -- Lotte

Old March 15th 04, 06:44 AM

Well, I found a perfect place for Mr. X...
it's in California!! I've never transported a
cat, not to mention an incontinent one,
that far, and I have no idea how to do it.
Should I take him as a carry-on on a
plane?

This is the only option I would consider and would never send a cat in
cargo. You'll need to call the airline and make a reservation for both
of you. At that point you can also get info on what paperwork you will
need for traveling and anything else that is required.

It's also important fo you to see where he is going and meet the new
caretaker. Even though a place may "sound" perfect, the only way for you
to know for sure is to check it out yourself. Since your cat has an
especially difficult issue, you need to make absolutely sure that the
place he is going is what they say it is and that the attitude of his
new caretaker is one that will ensure that you know he will be well
taken care of. If all is not as it seems you can turn right around with
him and go back. If you have any suspicions or misgivings after seeing
the new place, don't leave him there anyway. It doesn't matter how much
you spent on a ticket or how much time you spent traveling. If it's not
the right situation he needs to go back with you.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 19th 04, 09:18 AM
IBen Getiner

"Lotte" wrote in message ...
Greetings everyone --

Well, I found a perfect place for Mr. X... it's in California!! I've never
transported a cat, not to mention an incontinent one, that far, and I have
no idea how to do it. Should I take him as a carry-on on a plane? Drive
him? Are there services that will transport animals safely from Texas to
California? How do I find out what kind of health records he needs, etc.?
Will he have to go into quarantine? Aieeeeee..... is there a FAQ somewhere
about this?

Thanks -- Lotte

Send him cargo. That's good enough for him.
Old March 20th 04, 06:37 AM
Lotte

Actually...

After doing some research, I have decided to take him as a carry-on by
plane. That will give me the chance to meet his adopter, and I can make
sure he gets there safely. It's gonna cost me a fortune, but I've come this
far, no sense in doing it halfway. I have a friend who may be able to
contribute some frequent flyer miles toward my ticket also, so that will
help. All I can hope is that the Universe is keeping track of my Karmic
bank account, and this money energy comes back to me in some way in the
future. But, ya know, if it doesn't, it will still be ok -- the experience
has been rewarding in it's own right. Thanks to everyone here for your help
and advice.

Lotte

"IBen Getiner" wrote in message
om...

Old March 20th 04, 06:53 AM
MaryL

"Lotte" wrote in message
Actually...

After doing some research, I have decided to take him as a carry-on by
plane. That will give me the chance to meet his adopter, and I can make
sure he gets there safely. It's gonna cost me a fortune, but I've come

this
far, no sense in doing it halfway. I have a friend who may be able to
contribute some frequent flyer miles toward my ticket also, so that will
help. All I can hope is that the Universe is keeping track of my Karmic
bank account, and this money energy comes back to me in some way in the
future. But, ya know, if it doesn't, it will still be ok -- the

experience
has been rewarding in it's own right. Thanks to everyone here for your

help
and advice.

Lotte

That's wonderful, Lotte. You're doing a great thing!

Your vet should have a list of requirements (health certificates, etc.) for
transporting a cat into any state, and I would also check with the airlines.
It has been awhile since I traveled by air with my cats, but at that time
the health certificate could be no more than 10 days old.

Good luck, and please update us after you return from California.

MaryL

Old March 22nd 04, 03:46 AM
RedRiver35

Good evening:

What I was told I would need for transporting a cat on an airplane was
a health certificate,I took an up to date
rabies certificate, and I kept it all in a place where I could easily get to
it. I have only heard of Texas having a quarantine for cats and that is only on
the way in to the state.
No one asked me about my animals when I was driving into Texas from another
state with 3 in my car.

Please let the Austin Animal Aware newsletter know what the outcome of your
kitty is.

Good luck.
Chelle.

would also check with the airlines.
It has been awhile since I traveled by air with my cats, but at that time
the health certificate could be no more than 10 days old.
"The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights
which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of tyranny.
The question is not can they REASON, nor can they TALK, but can they SUFFER?"
-- Jeremy Bentham