Dark, crusty area on nose

Old October 21st 13, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Dark, crusty area on nose

My white cat's nose had a small dark spot on it for a couple of months. I couldn't feel anything and didn't worry about it. Recently it got larger and now she has several black spots on top of nose. When I feel them they feel crusty. The side of her nose also is darker.

She had acne on her chin which got better when I started cleaning her chin after she ate. I tried that on her nose but it's not any better. I have taken this poor animal to the vet at least five times in the past two months for various issues. She HATES it. I'll take her again, but was wondering if this could also be acne?

It doesn't bother her at all. If she wasn't white it wouldn't look nearly so bad.

I have a gel that the vet gave me for her chin. I was thinking of trying it on her nose.

Ideas?

thanks
Old October 21st 13, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

jblatz2 gmail.com wrote:

My white cat's nose had a small dark spot on it for a couple of
months. I couldn't feel anything and didn't worry about it.
Recently it got larger and now she has several black spots on
top of nose. When I feel them they feel crusty. The side of
her nose also is darker.

She had acne on her chin which got better when I started
cleaning her chin after she ate.

Paper towels are your friend. My cats get fed on clean paper
towels sometimes cut in quarters. For wet food, make sure the bowl
is clean with each feeding. Use a flat plate for wet food. Don't
use standard cat food bowls that have high edges. There is no need
to clean her chin or apply a medicine.

I tried that on her nose but it's not any better. I have taken
this poor animal to the vet at least five times in the past two
months for various issues. She HATES it. I'll take her again,
but was wondering if this could also be acne?

It doesn't bother her at all. If she wasn't white it wouldn't
look nearly so bad.

I have a gel that the vet gave me for her chin. I was thinking
of trying it on her nose.

That is a shot in the dark, don't do that. It might be some
disease. It might also appear around her ears.

Good luck.
Old October 22nd 13, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

[...]

Take her to the vet. Ask him/her to take a sample of one of the dark spots
and do a biopsy in it. It could be a melanoma or other skin cancer. You
would do the same thing were you to find such a spot growing on your own
skin.

~~~~~~
Agreed! It could be something simple, but it could also be something
serious like melanoma. Please take her to a vet ASAP. If it is something
serious, treatment should be started immediately. If it is something
routine, you can breathe a sigh of relief.

MaryL

Old October 24th 13, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 10/21/2013 11:56 AM, wrote:
My white cat's nose had a small dark spot on it for a couple of months.

.............White cats are prone to melanomas. It's not quite the same
as human melanoma as it does not metastasize beyond the area it occurs in.

...........I have a neighbor that had a white cat with cancer on the ear
tips, nose and around one eye. She had the ear tips excised, which was
curative. The vet did not want to do the nose and nothing could really
be done about the eye surgerywise as they probably would have had to
remove it and cut the eyelids off. She did not consult with an
oncologist so I have no idea what they would have suggested.

............She would NOT keep her cat indoors. It is crucial to keep a
white cat inside. Apparently they can also get enough harmful UV rays
through a regular window to affect them. You can get a clear shade to
take care of that issue if the cat hangs out at the window. Also if she
had done something when the spot was very small on the nose, perhaps
that would have taken care of it.

..........The nose cancer on her cat progressed until almost the whole
nose was eaten. She called me over to look at him to assess his
"quality of life" and I almost tossed my cookies. All that was left of
his nose was a small part on one side. He was constantly leaking fluid
from the nose and all you could see was the holes at the back of the nose.

............Supposedly this cat also had FIV, but there never was a PCR
done and I do not believe the ELISA test can distinguish between
infection and inoculation.

..........I don't know if I would bother with a biopsy, but find a vet
confident enough to remove the area from the nose. Or see an
oncologist. I don't know about chemo or radiation, but surgery can be
curative for this issue. On spots like the nose it is crucial it is
done when small.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 26th 13, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Well,I took her to the vet a couple of days ago. Even before reading the answers here (thank you, by the way).

He scraped a dead layer of skin off the nose. He said he wasn't sure what was wrong. He told me that white cats were prone to skin cancer, which I hadn't known. He said the skin was irritated but otherwise looked normal. He gave me some steroid ointment to use for a week. If it's not improving by then he'll do a biopsy.

The redness is gone but now her nose looks black. I think the area is a bit smaller but I'm not sure. I took a photo today so I'd have a comparison.

I recently lost a cat to liver cancer. I hope this sweet girl isn't next. I don't know anything about skin cancer in cats. Would they have to remove her nose? She seems just fine right now. Breaks my heart..........
Old October 26th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

BTW - I have always kept ALL my cats indoors and always will.