What plants do cats like in an atrium? What to avoid?

Old July 26th 15, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default What plants do cats like in an atrium? What to avoid?

We're settling into our new Florida home. Unlike my old Queens NY
home, I don't have a fenced in backyard here so I can't let the cats
out. Oh, I might eventually fence in part of the yard and let them out
in that, but the development takes care of the outside so if you fence
in part of it, you have to take care of it. I'd prefer not to do that.

I'm thinking of a movable fence, so I can let them out sometimes and
then roll the fence up, but that's fairly complicated.

But I do have an atrium. It's around 6' by 10', (2 * 3 meters or so)
and is open to the sky. Right now it's just partly gravel and partly
mulch, with only one plant, a nice multicolored bushy thing. There is
a sliding glass door that opens into it from the dining room.
Supposedly local pet stores sell some piece of glass that I can use as
a pet door. I don't want to let them into it yet since currently it
resembles a giant litter box.

What kind of plants would the cats like in there? Catnip? That could
be a mess. What to avoid? I don't want to poison them, but of course
they used to go out into a yard that had lots of strange stuff and
they never got poisoned. Lots of outdoor cats avoid getting poisoned.

I wonder if a gardener would know how to set that up? I can't be the
first one to wonder about it.
Old July 26th 15, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/26/2015 9:56 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

Things to avoid:

http://goodcats.com/toxicplants.html

Jill
Old July 26th 15, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:03:48 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 7/26/2015 9:56 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

Seriously? It's amazing that they llive in the wild at all!
Old July 26th 15, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

wrote:

On 7/26/2015 9:56 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

Some of those lists include everything from plants that might give a cat
a stomach-ache, if it ate the entire plant, to ones that would kill a
cat outright. Most plants aren't particularly harmful. Most cats I've
met have loved asparagus ferns, and eaten them right down to the roots
if you don't catch them first, without any harm, yet they're on that list.

Don't grow catnip. I did that once outdoors, and I swear every cat in
the area made a beeline for the spot and turned it into a mini-dustbowl.

What about finding out how your neighbours have decorated their atriums
(atria?)? It sounds like a lovely feature to have.

Cheryl

--
Cheryl
Old July 27th 15, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

On 7/26/2015 9:56 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

It's true they are a little too liberal with no-no's on the the lists.
Absolutely no lillies, however. Better safe than sorry.

Jill
Old July 27th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

http://goodcats.com/toxicplants.html

Jill

Seriously? It's amazing that they llive in the wild at all!

Some of those lists include everything from plants that might give a cat
a stomach-ache, if it ate the entire plant, to ones that would kill a
cat outright. Most plants aren't particularly harmful. Most cats I've
met have loved asparagus ferns, and eaten them right down to the roots
if you don't catch them first, without any harm, yet they're on that list.

Don't grow catnip. I did that once outdoors, and I swear every cat in
the area made a beeline for the spot and turned it into a mini-dustbowl.

What about finding out how your neighbours have decorated their atriums
(atria?)? It sounds like a lovely feature to have.

Cheryl

I did check out someone's atrium and they did it nicely. It's an odd
idea, but because of how the house is designed, it's really necessary.
They build the houses all the way on the very edge of the lot (they
calll them "zero lot line" houses). On each house, the zero side gets
no windows, so my outside is pretty private, and I can't see my
neighbor's yard, etc. Of course you can walk around the house, but my
land actually ends at the end of the house.

So, that side of the house would be dark except that the atrium lets
in a ton of light, and it borders on the dining room and living room,
so each room looks out on the atrium.

I'm thinking massive waterfall, like Niagra or such. Or maybe just a
little thing, since it's only 60 square feet. All my neighbors down
here are recommending one garrdener, so I'll have him come in and set
something up. I really have no idea whether to have it all on the
ground or have somethings on raised areas. But I don't want things
going too high. It's only about 10 feet to the roof and I wouldn't
want the cats climbing out!

Here's a picture of the thing:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/276109...posted-public/
Old July 28th 15, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:05:48 -0400, dgk wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/276109...eposted-public

I'm not sure that works. Try this one:

https://flic.kr/p/wzyDBn
Old July 30th 15, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 7/27/2015 4:05 PM, dgk wrote:

[...]

That looks nice. I have a friend who had a similar atrium in her town
house. One thing you should probably ask the gardener and neighbors
with similar atriums (based on my friend's experience) is for
suggestions so you can have plants but be sure to avoid plantings that
would contribute to growth of mildew.

MaryL

Old July 30th 15, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 21:51:22 -0500, MaryL
wrote:

On 7/27/2015 4:05 PM, dgk wrote:

[...]

I'll use the gardener that all the other folks seem to use. He knows
the local conditions. (hot and humid!)
Old July 30th 15, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

On 7/27/2015 4:05 PM, dgk wrote:

[...]

Good luck adjusting to the heat & humidity. I've lived in the south
since I was a teenager and still don't tolerate it well.

I hope you and the cats are adjusting.

Jill

Plants Poisonous to Cats Kyla =^..^=[_4_] Cat anecdotes 0 November 18th 08 10:45 PM
Cats vs Plants... Azy Cat anecdotes 2 February 9th 06 03:40 AM
cats & Plants, can they live together?? ensoul Cat health & behaviour 0 September 8th 05 02:51 AM
Cats and Crotons (poisonous plants) Julie Cat health & behaviour 3 May 22nd 05 08:19 AM
Plants That Are Poisonous To Cats US Cat health & behaviour 3 January 20th 04 12:52 AM