Cat confined for the sake of another

Old April 11th 04, 02:31 PM
Calvin Rice

(Tracy) wrote in message . com...
In the end, the two cats are going to have to work it out and the
confinement is only delaying the inevitable. Upsetting as the bullying
behavior is to witness, it is unlikely that it will go on forever, or
that one cat will genuinely hurt each other. But you aren't giving
them a chance to settle their hierarchial issues once and for all.

You will need to let them confront each other periodically. Do it when
you're around for a fairly short period of time and pick a space that
each cat can escape from. Expect a lot of hissing, stalking, chasing
and maybe some wrestling. You can try sharply clapping your hands to
see if that deters an attack, but other wise don't interfere. Slowly
make the sessions a little more frequent and a little longer. You can
try it unsupervised (still inside) after 5-10 sessions and the cats
have gotten used to the idea that they are forced to be in proximity
to each other periodically. After a few sessions, they should be able
to coexist with only occaisional bouts of hostility and you can slowly
reintroduce the outdoors. They will probably always chase and stalk
each other and they may well have regular spats, but that isn't
necessarily the end of the world. But they will learn how to live
together.

Essentially I tried this last year. The effect was to drive my two male
cats, one of which has been missing since the day after I confined the
bully, farther and farther away from the house. I could not, and cannot
stand having my happy home ruined by a stray. So confining was the only
answer I could think of.

I know the difference between friendly cat play, chasing, wrestling, etc,
which I love and encourage, and this horrible behaviour, which is a
nightmare. I will confine this cat for the rest of its life if necessary,
rather than let him spoil the other cat's home.

After the former stray cat was neutered, he lived with us as free as
the other cats for two and a half months. But the problem of him menacing
the other males got steadily worse, and finally intolerable.

-cr
Old April 11th 04, 04:18 PM
RobZip

"Calvin Rice" wrote in message
m...
Essentially I tried this last year. The effect was to drive my two male
cats, one of which has been missing since the day after I confined the
bully, farther and farther away from the house. I could not, and cannot
stand having my happy home ruined by a stray. So confining was the only
answer I could think of.
But the problem of him menacing
the other males got steadily worse, and finally intolerable.

Without knowing your level of attachment to the stray, I have to ask
this.... Considering the disruption to your other cat, and the limited
possibility the stray will integrate well into the household, would you
consider re-homing him to a setting where he is the only cat? Some cats have
this extreme drive to be the alpha animal. Perhaps this is one who would be
better off not only as king of the hill but as the solitary resident.

Old April 11th 04, 04:30 PM
Mary

"RobZip" wrote in message

"Calvin Rice" wrote in message
m...
Essentially I tried this last year. The effect was to drive my

two male
cats, one of which has been missing since the day after I confined

the
bully, farther and farther away from the house. I could not, and

cannot
stand having my happy home ruined by a stray. So confining was

the only
answer I could think of.
But the problem of him menacing
the other males got steadily worse, and finally intolerable.

Without knowing your level of attachment to the stray, I have to ask
this....

How attached would you be to a cat you had had for at least
a year? What a stupid suggestion. Better that he live separated
from the others than be out of a home again. Surely someone
can offer a better solution than this. (I can't, as I have never
had this problem. I have never had a male cat.)

Old April 11th 04, 05:08 PM
RobZip

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

How attached would you be to a cat you had had for at least
a year?

Obviously I'd have some attachment to the cat. I'd also have attachent to
the others in my household. It would become a question of what is *really*
best for the one that just can't seem to find a way to fit in without
disruption.

What a stupid suggestion

Stupid is it? I've known of a few instances where such a situation was
resolved by placing the miscreant in a more suitable home environment. (
example - surviving feline of a deceased elderly owner taken in to a multi
cat household. He simply wouldn't have it any other way except to be the
sole creature in residence. A local vet helped find someone who took him in
and it worked out great for all concerned.) Just because the owner loves
the animal and has gone to great lengths to work things out does not by
default make his situation the only choice.

Better that he live separated
from the others than be out of a home again.

Read again Mary... I did not advocate throwing the cat out. Re-homing is
just that - doing your best to find a home where the animal fits well. In
this case, it is unlikely that this particular male will ever fit well in a
multi-cat household. A situation where he will be the only cat is probably
best. Is it really better to live separated, at times isolated than to move
into a setting that better fits his liking? Surely the owner is attached but
is that the only factor one must consider?
Sometimes we just have to rise above our own feelings and consider all
elements in a situation - i.e the stress of the other feline residents, the
frustration of the owner seeing his house divided, and knowing this dominant
animal has a lot of love to give under the proper circumstances. The owner
in this situation has no cause to feel failure - he's done more for the
stray than most would have.

Surely someone can offer a better solution than this. (I can't, as I have

never
had this problem. I have never had a male cat.)

It's not unique to males but far more prevalent. I had a female once who was
so dominantly alpha that any other cat was forever the enemy. Forget her
having a roomie - wasn't gonna happen. Individually, she was the sweetest
most attentive cat companion one could have. Show the slightest bit of
affection to an interloping stray and she was an insufferable bitch - to
the stray and myself for a day or so afterwards.

Old April 11th 04, 05:50 PM
RobZip

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:08:34 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
RobZip ) said,
In
this case, it is unlikely that this particular male will ever fit well

in a
multi-cat household

That is not yet known.

Consider the following:

1. The reported behavior has been going on since last August - now entering
the 9th month according to Calvin. Everyone knows who each other is by now.
The pecking order seems to be somewhat established although subject to
change as the younger male matures.

2. The aggression seems directed towards one particular male in his
household. The stray is accepting of a younger male and submissive to a
dominant female. There hasn't been any long term period of open association
with all the felines in residence. What really isn't known is if the
acceptance of the younger male will continue once he reaches maturity. At
that point you could have the stray in conflict with both males and the
dominant female aligning with them. Then what?

At this point it becomes a matter of accepting that things are probably as
good as they are ever going to be. Is that preferable to looking at
alternative placement? I'm not saying that my suggestion is the ultimate
final outcome - merely something to consider.

Old April 11th 04, 06:51 PM
Tracy

Good luck, then. I can't quite see how you're going to do anything
else but confine one cat for the rest of it's life if you aren't
willing to let them work it out in a supervised, controlled
environment. Sometimes it does take many months before cats get their
issues sorted out. It may take longer now that the cats have been
seperated for so long and the resident cat has "won" by getting the
newcomer locked up all day everyday.

It's possible that the stray has such hostility problems that he can't
live with another cat, but your description of pouncing and screaming
and the fact that the cat gets along fine with the kitten doesn't
really indicate a hopelessly hostile cat to me.

I've seen introductions that take 6 months to a year to settle down
between adult cats. It is hard to go through, but I don't see much of
an alternative here. Just don't let both cats outdoors at the same
time until they can coexist in the house.