How affectionate is your cat?

Old February 28th 04, 04:41 AM
Ablang

Default How affectionate is your cat?

How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.

Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
once there? Or what was your experience with that?

--
Hilary Duff turns 18 in this amount of time:
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/...&month=09&year

"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those
we don't like?" -- Jean Cocteau
Old February 28th 04, 05:43 AM
idseer

try putting catnip up your nose!

seriously, you can't MAKE a cat be affectionate. they will usually pick
their moments to show their feelings and you just have to recognize when
those moments are.
i have one who rarely shows affection, other than wanting to always be
around when we're there but not wanting to be touched. but every once in a
while (maybe once a month) he will jump on my lap and purr his little brains
out and push his head into my hand. those moments are worth the wait, to be
honest.
then there's the other one who i have to literally push away at times.
he'll walk up my chest and start licking my nose. i mean to the point of
great pain! then he'll come back sit on the back of my chair and start
grooming me. same at night as i try to go to sleep. he HAS to lick my nose
before i fall asleep. i'm not complaining you understand. it's just
interesting how half brothers can be so different.

Old February 28th 04, 06:11 AM
Tim May

In article , Ablang
wrote:

How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.

Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
once there? Or what was your experience with that?

I've been with 3 cats since 1980. My cat in 1980-82 (had to give him
away when I was transferred) was a tiger stripe. He slept on my bed at
night, when he wasn't out catting around (I didn't have him neutered).
Very affectionate, when he was around.

In 1987 I got a blue-point Siamese, named Nietzsche. I had him neutered
at about 10-11 months of age. He was very bright, was with me nearly
every minute of every day (I retired when I when I was 34), and was
extremely close to me. He slept on my bed every night, often tucked
under a cover.

In 1991 I got a Havana Brown, a cousin to Siamese, named Mousse
(chocolate brown). He was also neutered, at whatever time the vet was
recommending in those days. He was a bit more cat-like than my Siamese,
but was very attached to his "big brother." They slept together, which
meant they slept on my bed. And they were often in my lap, together, as
I wrote articles like this on the Net, from 1991 to 2002.

Nietzsche, my best cat buddy of all time, died in early 2002.

Mousse is nearly as affectionate, but in a more "ADHD" way, i.e., he
won't stay still when being held, for more than about 20 seconds. He
will stay on my lap for hours if he is the one choosing the posture. He
often sleeps in my bed, but he also likes to walk on the headboard
above my bed, or jumps down, and he has a "nest" in another room he
likes to sleep in...I often find him in this "nest" on cold mornings.

(When his "brother" Nietzsche was still alive, Mousse slept on top of
Nietzsche, wherever Nietzsche picked as his sleeping place, which was
99% of the time on my bed.)

--Tim May

Old February 28th 04, 07:16 AM
Mogie

It varies from cat to cat. My youngest are extremely affectionate but on
their terms. That means when they choose to be loving. Seems to be that way
with all my cats. They must read the Bible. A time to play and a time to
love.

Old February 28th 04, 07:38 AM
Cat Protector

First off, cats are not dogs so they show affection only on their time not
yours. My two cats are very affectionate. Both will stay close to me when I
am not feeling well. They also will sometimes jump in my lap when I am at
the computer and Jade will brush up against me as if to say "I am here so
give me a pat or something." They are also there when I come through the
door as well.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old February 28th 04, 12:45 PM
Jacqueline

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:41:13 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
wrote:

How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.

Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
once there? Or what was your experience with that?

You can't make a cat be affectionate, they do as they please. That's
what I love about them!! I don't have my cats on a symbiotic pretext
- I feed you and love you and you love me back. I feed them and love
them unconditionally and if they want to sit beside me, fine, if they
want to ignore me and stick their arse in my face, also fine ;o)