Help!

Old April 16th 04, 07:47 AM
Michelle Moreland Orlando

Default Help!

Has anyone who has adopted a rescue cat that has a dermatitus (skin)
problem able to help the cat without a costly visit to the vet?

Rescued "Zoot" two yrs ago and he constantly has these scabs on his
skin. I can't afford to go to vet all the time. Is there anything I
can apply locally or internally that will help his skin? It appears to
be an allergy. Do know when he was rescued he had a bad flea allergy.
Use the product Advantage to apply to him, but he still continues to
get the scabs under his fur.

Michelle
Old April 17th 04, 02:24 AM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:59:40 -0400, "JoJo"
wrote:

Ted - as an aside from help message - where do you get your flea products?
What are the prices like? Trying to find good pricing on Advantage - 10 of
my own are very expensive to treat. Found place on ebay, best prices I've
found - looking to see if better (seller's name is best_cents).

I buy from my vet - he's as cheap as the mail order places (~$28 for
three cat doses). The thing is I need 11 * 0.5 ml doses a month for
the cats and another 5.something for the dogs - say 11-12 ml a month.
individual cat doses are over $9 per cat per month, but the large dog
size is 12 ml for $36 + tax - a bit over $1.50 per cat and $3.75 per
dog per month. I use a nearly worn out 3 ml syringe to meter the
doses (I have several spares).

I compared the ingredients and found that the only difference is that
there is slightly less of the juvenile hormone in the dog formula -
the adult flea killer is the same concentration. Somebody in alt.cats
suggested I look into that approach, and I checked with my vet and he
OKed it. So far the only problem has been that some of the cats don't
want me putting wet stuff on the back of their heads and struggle
almost as much as when I try to clip their claws (same cats object to
both; the others don't object to either).

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old April 17th 04, 03:35 AM
BarB

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:59:40 -0400, "JoJo" wrote:

Ted - as an aside from help message - where do you get your flea products?
What are the prices like? Trying to find good pricing on Advantage - 10 of
my own are very expensive to treat. Found place on ebay, best prices I've
found - looking to see if better (seller's name is best_cents).

Tx. JoJo

You can buy one large dog size Advantage for the same price as that for a
cat. It's the same concentration. Draw it out with a syringe, throw out
the needle and dispense. I find that's enough for 8-10 cats.

Advantage comes in two sizes for cats
9 lbs or LESS 0.4 CC
10 lbs & Up 0.8 CC
One tube of large dog Advantage contains 4CC.

I think .4cc is too much for a small kitten. I prefer to weigh them and
use .05cc/lb. which is slightly more than the minimum dosage.

BarB
Old April 17th 04, 03:39 AM
Sunflower

"Michelle Moreland Orlando" wrote in message

Has anyone who has adopted a rescue cat that has a dermatitus (skin)
problem able to help the cat without a costly visit to the vet?

Rescued "Zoot" two yrs ago and he constantly has these scabs on his
skin. I can't afford to go to vet all the time. Is there anything I
can apply locally or internally that will help his skin? It appears to
be an allergy. Do know when he was rescued he had a bad flea allergy.
Use the product Advantage to apply to him, but he still continues to
get the scabs under his fur.

Michelle

I would want to be sure that I was dealing with an allergy and not ringworm
which can be contagious to humans. Only a vet visit can isolate what the
particular problem might be, and if its' still the flea allergy that's the
primary problem. Frontline administered monthly should clear up any flea
problem, and you need to get that from a vet. I don't particularly care for
Advantage. It just seems to not work as well with the Southern fleas that
exist year round.