OT I don't know if I posted this before and what I am allowed to eat

Old August 8th 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default OT I don't know if I posted this before and what I am allowed to eat

one of the things i really like about the congee concept is that i have had
it/made it from almost broth to as thick as breakfast porrige, and the
consistency plus what you ad makes it totally different to the taste buds
but the ease of preparation is all there, Lee
"cshenk" wrote in message
Hi Lee and Matthew, Top posting myself as it's easier this time.

Congee yes, later when allowed the carb load. Scale that later up to a
full 'rice porridge' (a japanese version which has usually 20 or more
distinct little bits of other things in it).

I'm going to have some fun today and select out some suitable ideas to
frame recipes around. It will be easy for me as his 7-25 day diet other
than having to be pureed is pretty easy to work with. In fact, other than
a lack of rice (and having to puree it), thats not too far off what we eat
here.

Matthew, if you have any seafood allergies, let me know when you see this!
For now as you selected out Nori, I'll assume not. I hope you have a good
asian grocery near you! If not, Amazon.com has Hon Dashi (Ajinomoto Hon
Dashi) for a little under 8$ that makes from 9-18 cups depending on how
strong you like it.

"Stormmee" wrote in message
lol, start looking for low carb/healthier foodstuffs now, what popped
into my head was arnold's bread and low carb wraps... mission is one
brand. start looking at rice now if you eat it, going to an asian market
and shopping rice is a fun/tastey way for "good carbs" and as i said
google congee, its basically rice soup cooked to a creamy consistency
which i think, provided you like rice might suit your eating when complex
carbs are back, you can make a large batch plain, freeze and thaw and add
meat/veg and further puree so you can drink eat, Lee
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
This is what I am going through and the surgery that happened Give a
good explanation on what they did

http://www.lapband.com/en/home/

day 1-6 while at home before first doctor visit which is Monday where
they will advance me to a puree diet

clear liquids
at least 2 20mg protein shakes with 5g or less of carbs a day
fat free / low fat yogurt no lumps
1% or skim milk
water or crystal light
Broth
Sugar free Jell-O and popsicles

Day 7-25
Foods must be low in fat have no white sugar and be starch free which
means no potatoes, cereals, breads. pastas, rice. Only lean meats ,
fruits and non starchy vegetables, milk, yogurt and cheese. EVERYTHING
IS PUREED. I can use fat free juice or broth to moisten the food when
pureeing. I can also use low fat cream soups. No soda or carbohydrate
drink or coffee
Basically everything has to look like applesauce and strained so no
lumps.

Starchy vegetables are basically potatoes, corn, certain beans, green
peas, acorn/butternut squash, sweet potatoes, yams
Winter squashes, such as pumpkin, lentils, chick peas, lima beans, black
eyed beans

Example of a daily diet which is about 6 or 7 meals a day

Breakfast 2-3 ounces protein & 1 ounce fruit
Mid Morning protein shake
lunch 2-3ounces of protein & 1 ounce of
vegetables
mid afternoon protein shake
dinner 2-3 ounces of protein & 1 ounce of
vegetables
evening yogurt & 1 ounce of fruit

Proteins are basically turkey, chicken, flaky fish, tuna ,eggs , ground
beef, shrimp or shell fish, veal, pork, milk, cheeses, lamb

Fruits are Apples, banana, cherries, grapes red or green, strawberries,
blueberries, kiwi, lemons, mango, melons, pineapple, pears, plums
raspberries,tangerine, watermelon, mandarin oranges, low sugar canned
fruits.

Non starchy vegetables are

Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)
Greens - lettuces, spinach, chard, etc.
Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
Radicchio and endive count as greens
Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
Bok Choy
Celery
Radishes
Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)
Cabbage
Mushrooms
Jicama
Avocado
Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
Asparagus
Italian and Wax Beans
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Peppers
Green Bell Peppers
Red Bell Peppers
Summer Squash
Zucchini
Scallions or green onions
Bamboo Shoots
Leeks
Brussels Sprouts
Snow Peas (pods)
Tomatoes
Eggplant
Tomatillos
Artichokes
Fennel
Onions
Okra
Spaghetti Squash
Celery Root (Celeriac)
Carrots

3 weeks to 3 months. I can advance to no more puree food still no
starches or white sugar. I can start to use fat free/ low fat
dressings, mayo , ketchup, mustard and fat free sour cream

Breakfast 2-3 ounces protein & 1-2 ounce fruit
Mid Morning yogurt and 1 ounce of fruit
lunch 2-3 ounces of protein & 1 - 2ounce of
vegetables
mid afternoon 1-2 ounces of protein & 1 ounce of fruit
dinner 2-3 ounces of protein & 1-2 ounce of
vegetables
evening yogurt or a glass of milk

3 months to 6 months I can start reintroducing complex carbohydrates
into my diet such as 100% whole wheat bread, oatmeal, crackers. That
diet will be introduced to me when I reach it ;-)

I have to take and adult multivitamin every day no matter what. Every
4-6 weeks I will go through an adjustment phase where they find the
right gap for me for the band. So I can expect to lose 1-3 pounds a
week for the first year at least depending on how much exercise and
strict diet use I do.
I have a good motivation to stay away from the junk IT WILL MAKE YOU
SICK AS A DOG with having the band and your body not being used to the
sugar and carbs anymore ;-)

Basically in a nut shell. now you know why I did not want to type all
this out early this morning ;-)

Old August 8th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Matthew" wrote

I know people hate top posting but I always look at it Pay my account than
you can tell me what to do. Specially when I did a long post like this

Grin, no harm! Some posts make it natural and while I've saved off your
diet note now, not all willmake sense of this if they come in mid-thread
without it.

My mouth is watering already. No allergies to food. The only things for
me is that the ice burg lettuce that you get pre packaged makes me queasy.
A fresh head is fine. Heavy tomatoes sauce or soups puts way too much
acid in my system even if I make it fresh normal tomatoes are fine.
Cantaloupe green or orange gives me gas and I am not a pear fan. Pretty
much else I have tried everything and like it Andrew Zimmerman would enjoy
my company

Great! I just came on a lovely one. I'm putting them in 3 series. Not all
the directions will read straight up as a fit but I'll add comments. Some
fit 2 catagories (where you omit an item in the earlier versions such as the
carb item).

As for Asian shopping. I live near and work in a tourist capital of the
world everything and anything is here. Just can't drive anywhere yet
medically not cleared yet ;-(. Before the surgery I cleared out
everything that could tempt me. I wish Mom would understand that I told
her she can have her stash but I won't cook anything that is not in my
diet range so she is SOL.

Grin, I lived in Japan almost 7 years (not sure if you knew that). Don't be
suprised if much of this uses an asian flair. It's actually easier to
low-carb with many of those dishes. Subbing from your list is easy peasy
(grin).

Just to give you an idea, I have a carb free oyster stew (which you puree)
and fits the protien nicely in that 7-25 day set. Bet no one thought to
mention that idea! It will show up again but this gives you an idea. As
with all of them, adjust serving size.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Oyster Stew
Categories: Diabetic, Soups/stews, Fish, Crockpot
Yield: 4 Servings

1 pt Oysters with liquor
1 tb Butter
2 c Lowfat milk
1/8 ts Cayenne pepper

Combine the oysters, oyster liquor, and butter in a skillet. Cook
until
the edges of the oysters curl. Add the milk. Heat just to boiling.
Sprinkle with the cayenne pepper, Ladle into hot bowls. Garnish with
chopped fresh parsley if desired.
Makes 4 1/2 cup servings.

Added note, can use 1/2 the butter. Puree then add milk

PER SERVING: calories - 154, carbohydrates - 10 g., protein - 14 g.,
fat - 7 g., sodium - 184 mg., potassium - 337 mg., cholesterol - 65 mg.
Exchanges = 1 Lean Meat, 1 Milk, 1 Fat
FROM: The American Diabetes Association Holiday Cookbook by Betty
Wedman, M.S., R.D. copyright 1986

-----

Old August 8th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Stormmee" wrote

one of the things i really like about the congee concept is that i have
had it/made it from almost broth to as thick as breakfast porrige, and the
consistency plus what you ad makes it totally different to the taste buds
but the ease of preparation is all there, Lee

Oh definately! You are going to love the Japan version if you havent seen
it already. Meantime, I'm having a ball here scanning for fun ideas for
Matthew. Arm's too wonky to make bread other than my regular stuff but I
can type fine. Fortunately in my case, playing on the computer isnt related
to any damage so it's a perfectly fine activity per my Doc.

Don just reminded me I'm grinning like a fool. It's simple. I'm happiest
when I can use my abilities to provide a little fun for others.

Old August 8th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Matthew" wrote

DROOL thank you

Hehe side note. Starting to come across some items you may not know to
avoid.

Kamoboko (Fish cake). Not on your 'allowed list'. You can see why when you
read it though if you didnt know the recipe, it would 'sound fine'.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Japanese Kamaboko, Xxcarol
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan, Seafood
Yield: 8 Servings

10 oz Firm white fish, debone/skin
2 ea Egg whites
1/4 c Sake
2 tb Sugar
1 ts Salt
1/8 ts White pepper
1/3 c Cornstarch
1/2 c Dashi
1 ea Egg for eggwash, 1 ts sake

Ever seen those pretty fish rolls with the pink or green exterior? This is
them, sans the added food coloring.

Using a food processor is almost required for this one but the Japanese
use
a hand type, not electric. Chop the fish to a paste then add the egg
whites. Mix the sake and sugar untl the sugar is desolved then add to the
fish mix. Season with the salt and pepper. Add the cornstarch to the
dashi
until it is disolved then add to the processor and let mix until all is
well blended.

Lay the fish out on a Maki-su (bamboo mat, also called sushi mat) if you
have one, with a towel or cheese cloth underneath. If you dont have the
mat, dont despair as it will taste the same rolled on wax paper, just not
be as pretty shaped. Remove from Maki-su (or wax paper) leaving cheese
cloth or towel on, and place in a steamer for 30 mins. Let cool 30-60 mins
on a rack before removing outer cloth covering.

Mix the egg-wash by adding the egg, teaspoon of Sake, and a pinch of sugar
(food coloring too if desired), and brush this on with a pastry brush then
broil a few seconds a few inches from the heat, watching to make sure it
doesnt burn.

Thats all! Glaze set too.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol

-----

Old August 8th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Stormmee" wrote

she lkies food and recipes as much as you and i do, Lee

Yeah, you, me, Granby, Matthew, and Jill are probably the main foodies here.
OHH! Pan fried Gobo and Carrot! Perfect for series 3 (grin).

Old August 9th 10, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Christine BA" wrote in message
8.8.2010 1:41, Christina Websell kirjoitti:
"
Fortunately I am not in the same situation, if I lost 100 pounds I would
nearly disappear. However if I was I don't think I would be brave enough
do what you have. I know I wouldn't.
Lots of love and luck to get the result you want.

Tweed

What she said!!
Then again, I could stand to lose 100 lbs... I'd be slim, but not too
skinny.

would you be prepared to go as far as Matthew?
I'd be so scared I think I might stop eating.

Old August 9th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i couldn't do what he is doing, that is why i so admire him, i finally found
what works for me after a lifetime of fighting it. i had to realize*and
please lets not have another big discussion on this* that calories in/used
is not all there is to it, for me i had to find ways to increase my
metabolic rate and cut calories so i didn't just store everything as usual,
at best i had in fact lost a hundred pounds, but what i did to lose it has
quit working so i am once again endeavoring to increas the m.r. and i refuse
to go the drugs route atm so its really hard sometimes.

Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Christine BA" wrote in message
8.8.2010 1:41, Christina Websell kirjoitti:
"
Fortunately I am not in the same situation, if I lost 100 pounds I would
nearly disappear. However if I was I don't think I would be brave
enough to

Old August 9th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

"Christine BA" wrote in message

What she said!!
Then again, I could stand to lose 100 lbs... I'd be slim, but not too
skinny.

would you be prepared to go as far as Matthew?
I'd be so scared I think I might stop eating.

No way! Not gonna happen, ever.

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old August 9th 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Christina Websell" wrote

would you be prepared to go as far as Matthew?
I'd be so scared I think I might stop eating.

Everyone is built a bit differently. Matthew has actually chosen a good
method with a proven decent record and to top it all off, it's fully
reversable if that comes to be needed. Not everyone has a fast metabolism
and some hit diet 'setpoint' so fast, they really need help and it's not
just portion control.

I did some reading on it and was pretty impressed with the success
percentage when nothing else in the normal diet range has been effective.
Please don't have the idea that Matthew is actually 'overeating' just
because he likes good food. He probably ate much less than I do!