Train a cat to wake up later??

Old November 27th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Other Mike

Default Train a cat to wake up later??

Have 2 new kittens and an older cat. The older one and one of the
kittens sleeps fine and don't get up until we do. The other kitten is
really starting to get on my last nerve. 4am every day, he climbs on
our heads and just won't stop crying (while purring at the same time).
I'll even get up to feed him and he just follows me, rubbing on my
legs so I trip while screaming at me and purring at the same
time...doesn't eat much and runs back after me when I try to go back
to bed. I'm at the point where I just throw him out of the room and
shut the door when he starts. Is there anything I can do to train
him not to do this??
Old November 27th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eva Quesnell

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, barb wrote:

Maybe just pretend you're asleep when he starts and don't get up until
you're ready. I locked my Pickles out of the bedroom when she was a kitten
one night because she was being a pest. She saw to it that I never did it
again because she tore a hole in the carpet outside the door!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
soon as you get up. Make them wait a little while. Then they won't be
trying to get you up since they'll know you're not going to feed them
right away. If you give in to the demand that you get up and give them
something, they will train you in no time.

Eva
Old November 27th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

I go through the same thing every single morning with my younger guy, Trouble.
6:30 a.m. on the dot there he is in bed, kneading on my chest and purring
until I get up and feed him. I don't mind during the week as this is the
time I have to get up anyway, but the weekends aren't fun. Either way, he
does have me trained well as I do get up on the weekends when he demands it
and feed him and then I go back to bed with my other cat who can't be
bothered to even open his eyes until noon.

I have to admit though at being amazed at how Trouble knows when it is 6:30
and time to eat.

Eva Quesnell wrote:
Maybe just pretend you're asleep when he starts and don't get up until
you're ready. I locked my Pickles out of the bedroom when she was a kitten

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

Old November 27th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Other Mike

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:38:03 -0700, Eva Quesnell
wrote:

Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
soon as you get up.

We tried this for a couple of days but to be honest, it was me who was
the problem. I lay there trying to ignore him and feel my blood
boiling ready to strangle him (not really...just an expression)...get
up and feed him just to shut him up....then I can't get back to sleep
because i'm all worked up. This morning I couldn't take it anymore
and just locked him out of the room. I guess we'll keep trying to
ignore him for a few days and see if we can get him to stop.

Old November 27th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eva Quesnell

wrote:

Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
soon as you get up.

We tried this for a couple of days but to be honest, it was me who was
the problem. I lay there trying to ignore him and feel my blood
boiling ready to strangle him (not really...just an expression)...get
up and feed him just to shut him up....then I can't get back to sleep
because i'm all worked up. This morning I couldn't take it anymore
and just locked him out of the room. I guess we'll keep trying to
ignore him for a few days and see if we can get him to stop.

Yeah, as long as you give in and do what he wants, he will keep on doing
it. It took me at least a week or two of *not* feeding when I first got
up for Mickey to give up and leave me alone on the weekends. If you keep
giving in, kitty wins. You have to stick to it for it to work. Once it
does start to work, the kitty will leave you alone from there on in. OK,
they will do the occasional wake-up, but not so much.

Eva
Old November 27th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eva Quesnell

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:

I go through the same thing every single morning with my younger guy, Trouble.
6:30 a.m. on the dot there he is in bed, kneading on my chest and purring
until I get up and feed him. I don't mind during the week as this is the
time I have to get up anyway, but the weekends aren't fun. Either way, he
does have me trained well as I do get up on the weekends when he demands it
and feed him and then I go back to bed with my other cat who can't be
bothered to even open his eyes until noon.

Yup. He does have you trained. As long as you give in to his demands,
he'll keep doing it.

I have to admit though at being amazed at how Trouble knows when it is 6:30
and time to eat.

They have built-in clocks, and they just know.

Eva

Old November 27th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmagerl

I finally bought a automated food dispenser. It dispenses just a tiny amount
of dry food at 4AM. THis keeps kitty happy till I get up at 6:30 when he
gets his wet food. But at $140 it was an expensive solution to the problem.
Lord help me if I don't get up at 6:30 though.

He also has become less demanding as he gets older.

du...

Old November 28th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

The Other Mike wrote: The other kitten is
really starting to get on my last nerve. 4am every day, he climbs on
our heads and just won't stop crying (while purring at the same time).
I'll even get up to feed him

That was your mistake right there. Now he knows in order to get fed,
all he has to do is walk on your head at 4 a.m. If you can handle it,
I would recommend completely ignoring him for a few days or a week.
Hopefully you can undo the behavior.

Old November 28th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne

LOL
I installed a scratching post on the wall right outside our bedroom door
because our 'Elvis' was scratching the rug.
Wayne