Duffy's 4th annifursary (long)

Old January 31st 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Duffy's 4th annifursary (long)

Tomorrow (Jan. 31) is the fourth anniversary of the day I adopted Duffy. It's
hard to believe that four years have gone by, and he is a true treasure. He
is the dearest, sweetest, most wonderful little guy I could ever imagine.
Most of you already know that Duffy has been blind since birth, but he does
almost everything that a sighted cat can do. He even has his own "fan club"
among some of the readers of this newsgroup. Duffy gets around so well that
I thought he might have a small amount of vision. If I move a chair, he
will be sitting in it a few minutes later - there is no need to keep
furniture in a fixed location for him. I arranged for an evaluation by an
ophthalmologist at Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine
because I wanted to see if there was some sight (and, if so, what I should
do to preserve it). There I learned that Duffy is completely blind and that
he has a condition known as "anterior cleavage syndrome." There should be
space between the iris and the cornea. In Duffy's case, the two components
are pressed together, and there is no space between them. This probably
happened before birth and possibly was caused by infection in the mother.

I want to thank Megan because she is the one who made all this possible. I
was trying to help a friend find a cat to adopt. I had been communicating
with Megan about another matter and told her about it. She suggested that
we look at Petfinder.com. We did, and there was a picture of Duffy. He
looked like a sad little waif in the picture the shelter had posted. In
fact, I thought he was a very old cat from his picture, but he was actually
estimated to be 3-5 years old at the time. It was heartrending when I saw
that Duffy was blind, had been returned by someone else after two years (and
this was a *kill* shelter), and had been in the shelter for several months.
My friend simply wasn't interested in a blind cat and would not even
consider adopting, and I was really fearful of adopting another cat because
Holly had a history of aggressively attacking any other cat in my presence.
We even called her "the black tornado" because of the way she would hurl
herself at other cats. She was my dear little shadow and followed me
everywhere, but she would not tolerate having another cat around. Megan
kept prodding me to adopt, or even to foster for awhile. She told me that
she would help me throughout the process and was positive that we *could*
get Holly and Duffy to adjust to each other. Well, she kept that promise.
She walked me through every step of the slow, careful introduction. Every
time I would think about speeding things up, she would remind me to be
patient and take it slow and easy (excellent advice for anyone adopting a
cat because I think this is the reason so many people have trouble getting
their new adoptees and their resident cats to accept each other). She made
numerous long-distance calls at her own expense, and she always seemed to
recognize exactly what I was describing in the relationship and knew
precisely what would work. I will also say that I was a "good student." I
followed her advice every step of the way, and the result is that I have two
loving companions instead of the jealous reaction from Holly that I had
always seen previously.

Getting back to the ad on Petfinder.com...the notice looked so old (and the
shelter only promised to keep animals for 14 days) that I really thought it
was probably too late and that Duffy was gone. It was Megan who kept
insisting that I give them a call. "You need to check," she said; "You can't
just assume that he isn't there." Ironically, I did call and was told that
he had already been adopted. "Check further," she said; "Send them an
e-mail." So I sent an e-mail to the director of the shelter - and learned
that Duffy was still there. I have no idea what the first person was
talking about or how she could have been confused about a blind cat named
Duffy, but he was still in a cage at the shelter! Kitten season was
approaching, and space would soon be at a premium. I really believe they
could not have kept him for much longer. He is such a sweet, loving cat
that I simply cannot comprehend how someone else could have had him for two
years and then returned him to a kill shelter (and especially not for they
ridiculous reason she gave - she said he had learned to get to her birds and
was teach her sighted cat to do the same thing). That cruel decision turned
out to be my good fortune (and Duffy's and Holly's) because he now has a
forever home with us and I have truly been blessed.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Duffy and the Christmas tree: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old January 31st 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Wonderful storey. Every time I hear someone say what a trial blind cats can
be and all the stuff they have to do I want to wack someone. Cats, like
people adapt to what is around them. All it takes is patience and love and
you have plenty of that.
. ..

Old January 31st 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

MaryL wrote:
snip
He is such a sweet, loving cat that I simply cannot comprehend
how someone else could have had him for two years and then returned him
to a kill shelter (and especially not for they ridiculous reason she
gave - she said he had learned to get to her birds and was teach her
sighted cat to do the same thing). That cruel decision turned out to be
my good fortune (and Duffy's and Holly's) because he now has a forever
home with us and I have truly been blessed.

Congratulations to you both for your anniversary! It was the same thing
wityh Frank - he'd been in a couple of homes before he came to me. He
was such a sweetheart that I can't understand why anyone would have
wanted to give him up, but it was their loss and my gain. I got to spend
over 17 wonderful years with my Franky-Lanky. I hope you and Duffy (and
Holly) have many, many happy years ahead of you.
Old January 31st 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Happy anniversary, Duffy.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old January 31st 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone

piggybacking here because for some reason I missed the OP

Congrats on the anniversary.

--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit, Spot,

video clips at http://tinyurl.com/29o8ck
photos at http://tinyurl.com/22pfn8
Old January 31st 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

. ..
[...]

We are in awe of Duffy, and of you, too!

Old January 31st 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

you know I often wonder what was with Chester in his before life... he is a
perfect cat among cats, and was at the pound, and then at the shelter for
several months, I can only figure that bast intended him for our house and
am grateful so I know how you feel, Lee
. ..

Old January 31st 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

MaryL wrote:
Tomorrow (Jan. 31) is the fourth anniversary of the day I adopted
Duffy. It's hard to believe that four years have gone by, and he is
a true treasure. He is the dearest, sweetest, most wonderful little
guy I could ever imagine. Most of you already know that Duffy has
been blind since birth, but he does almost everything that a sighted
cat can do. He even has his own "fan club" among some of the readers
of this newsgroup.

I am definitely a Duffy fan, Mary, and it was a great thing you did to adopt
him. I wish more people would give disabled cats a chance.
I can see that Kitty Farmcat's eyes are starting to cloud over just in the
last few weeks - and why wouldn't they since she is over 20 years old?
I am sure she will manage as she knows the house very well and where her
litterboxes are (one downstairs and one up.)
I pick her up to put her in another room to get her food now. Boyfie is
greedy and scarfs his up in no time and will knock her off hers given the
chance.
She seems that she would like to eat alongside him like she has always done,
so it does take ages while she leaves her food to beg to go back into the
kitchen to him and I say no, and then she eats some more.
She gets far more "posh" food than Boyfie does, so he is always desperate to
get to it ;-)
ATM she is eating quite well, much better than she was a few weeks ago.
(I hardly dare to say it..)
She just loves the lactose-free milk I added a tablespoon of cream to.
She has never been able to meow, I don't know why. When I open the fridge
she says a very quiet "wah" that means gimme or look at me for instructions
;-)

Tweed

Old January 31st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I can see that Kitty Farmcat's eyes are starting to cloud over just in the
last few weeks - and why wouldn't they since she is over 20 years old?
I am sure she will manage as she knows the house very well and where her
litterboxes are (one downstairs and one up.)/////

I was telling my TED about KFC when HEFL and I went to see him on
Monday. He laughted and said he wasn't suprised when I told him that
KFC was a tiny ex-feral who knew her own mind! ;o) He said the feisty
ones always survive the longest with care and love. )

Helen M

Happy Annifursary, Duffy MaryL Cat anecdotes 13 February 2nd 07 05:15 AM
Persia Annifursary! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 19 January 16th 07 03:00 PM
Annifursary Cathi Cat anecdotes 10 May 7th 06 08:28 PM
Duffy's 3rd Adoption Anniversary MaryL Cat anecdotes 22 February 6th 06 08:49 PM
Duffy's wonderful toy MaryL Cat anecdotes 13 December 9th 04 12:38 AM