Annie the mouse RB

Old August 23rd 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default Annie the mouse RB

On Aug 23, 12:38 am, "Cheryl" wrote:
In March I took in two mice that someone posted for a new home on Freecycle.
Annie was solid black and Madison is black/white. Annie was very active and
ran on the wheel like she was trying to run away forever. Madison has an
old injury to one of her legs and sort of drags it, so she isn't as fast.
Annie was very timid; Madison tame and loves to be held. Maybe it's just
that she's slower to move.

Tonight I found Annie dead in the tank. Both of them had just been to the
vet a few weeks ago. Even when she was laying in my hand completely stiff
and not vibrating like mice do when you hold them in your hand (sort of like
they're purring) it was hard to believe she was dead. But her mouth was
open, and her eyes were open. I hope it wasn't a long drawn out death today
while I wasn't home. I usually don't check on them in the morning before I
leave for work because they're normally sleeping in the nest at that time..
So I don't know when it happened. Last night she was eating her veggie and
fruit treats as normal.

Madison is now alone. Mice are communal so I'm not sure how long I can wait
to get another one and introduce them, or else find Madison a home with
other mice. Taking them was an impulse but they've been so much fun to get
to know.

I hope it wasn't something I fed them that killed her.

I am sorry for your loss. You should rejoice that you gave her a very
good life, especially compared to the life of a typical mouse in the
wild.

It was very likely just her time. Mice don't have long lifespans. But
everyone I know who has kept them has found them loveable.

--
Will in New Haven
One truck driver called to the waitress,

“Here Comes that Rainbow Again” - Kris Kristofferson
Old August 23rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Don't feel too bad, they do have quite short lives.
I used to show mice when I was a teenager, did quite well too ;-) so I know
a little about them.
I was a member of the National Mouse Club!

http://www.nationalmouseclub.co.uk/

Tweed

. ..

Old August 24th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Candace

On Aug 22, 9:38*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

Tonight I found Annie dead in the tank.

That's sad, Cheryl. I'm sorry.

Candace
Old August 24th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

Default Thank you. Annie the mouse RB

Thank you all for the support. I know they don't have a long life span, I
don't know how old they were when I took them in. So far Madison seems
fine. I've disinfected the tank and threw out what couldn't be soaked in
bleach/water. Madison did her normal terraforming of the bedding when I put
her back in and is eating, pooing, drinking, and as active as she was
before. I don't know where to find her a friend as I'm not a fan of pet
store pets or breeders. I might be off-base with mouse breeding because I
don't know anything about how they breed for pets vs feeder mice. Maybe
saving a feeder mouse is in the cards but I'm sure they have even shorter
lives.

Old August 25th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It's kind of strange, but animals all have just so many heartbeats in them
before they die. A mouse's heart beats very, very fast so they don't live
very long. Since you got them already grown I would bet that it was just
Annie's time to go.

Purrs for the little furry to find her way safely to the Bridge..

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 27th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow

Cheryl wrote:

Madison is now alone. Mice are communal so I'm not sure how long I can
wait to get another one and introduce them, or else find Madison a home
with other mice. Taking them was an impulse but they've been so much
fun to get to know.

I hope it wasn't something I fed them that killed her.

I'm sure it wasn't something you fed her - mice just have very short
lives, and sometimes they end suddenly for seemingly no reason. Have you
considered joining an online mouse/mice community? They can give tips
for enriching their environment, and if it's anything like rat
communities there may be a rescue you could get Madison a new friend from.

purrs from the felines and bruxes from the rodents here. May Annie play
hard at the rainbow bridge.

Maeve ^..^
--
http://moonglowminnow.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old August 27th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Christina Websell wrote:
Don't feel too bad, they do have quite short lives.
I used to show mice when I was a teenager, did quite well too ;-) so I know
a little about them.
I was a member of the National Mouse Club!

I used to show rabbits but had a friend who showed mice

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 28th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Cheryl wrote:
In March I took in two mice that someone posted for a new home on
Freecycle. Annie was solid black and Madison is black/white. Annie was
very active and ran on the wheel like she was trying to run away
forever. Madison has an old injury to one of her legs and sort of drags
it, so she isn't as fast. Annie was very timid; Madison tame and loves
to be held. Maybe it's just that she's slower to move.

Tonight I found Annie dead in the tank. snip

I'm so sorry.
Purrs,
Polonca and Soncek
Old August 30th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley via CatKB.com" u27720@uwe wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
Don't feel too bad, they do have quite short lives.
I used to show mice when I was a teenager, did quite well too ;-) so I
know
a little about them.
I was a member of the National Mouse Club!

I used to show rabbits but had a friend who showed mice

I used to show rabbits too, and cavies. It was my grandfather's fault, he
used to show rabbits too and introduced me to it. What sort of rabbits did
you show?

Tweed

Old August 30th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Don't feel too bad, they do have quite short lives.
I used to show mice when I was a teenager, did quite well too ;-) so I
know a little about them.
I was a member of the National Mouse Club!

http://www.nationalmouseclub.co.uk/

Since we're still off topic and talking about mice, I thought I'd introduce
you to my new two. I don't think I'll put them in with Madison, at least
not for a while. She's still very itchy and we will need another trip to
the vet. I sprayed her with a tiny spray of antiseptic so I hope she will
be comfortable until I can get her in again.

Here are my new two:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22235...37512561tMhieS

One is related to a hairless but is called a "fuzzy". The other is
semi-longhaired and called a "splotched". I never knew mice could be so
exotic. These two are just under a year old and retired breeding females.
They are VERY active. I don't think either of them have been on a running
wheel before but the fuzzy figured it out fairly fast. The splotched one
hasn't gotten past giving up when it starts to move when she tries to climb
on it.

Cat or mouse? Yowie Cat anecdotes 8 April 19th 08 01:53 PM
my new mouse pad Pat Cat anecdotes 7 June 24th 06 03:51 PM
Mouse Adrian A Cat anecdotes 3 April 24th 06 07:25 PM
Mouse Bev Cat anecdotes 43 September 30th 04 05:32 AM
Mouse Bev Cat anecdotes 6 April 16th 04 07:57 PM