Mom [OT]

Old March 28th 04, 02:06 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:36:41 GMT, "Jette Goldie"
yodeled:

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

Kids imitate anything they see on TV. They don't think too hard about
it-- they just think if it's on TV, it's cool.

Well, yeah. But I was just wondering what the appeal was about cockney-
speaking Londoners, to kids from Glasgow. There's probably a cultural
history there that I'm not aware of, being from over here.

It's not even that it's "cool" - it's just that the darn show
is on tv 5 days a week, and the kids just pick up the accent
unconsciously.

A few years ago it was "Neighbours" that was causing the
concern...... kids were turning Aussie!

Now that would be worrying.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 28th 04, 02:07 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:37:04 GMT, "Mishi"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:03:10 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

But upstate New York, that's true, they talk nothing like us.

That is very true, we don't! G One time, I was at a party in Connecticut,
and one of the women there asked where I was from. I said, New York. She
said I couldn't be, because I didn't have the right accent. I told her I
wasn't from the city, but upstate NY. She looked very puzzled, and said
"Westchester?" (which is just north of NY City). No, I told her, north of
Albany. She looked at me again and said "Canada?" (shakes head. Sigh)

There's New York, and there's Noo Yawk.

Old March 28th 04, 02:20 AM
Hopitus2

Doc's Offices: here's something FYI bet you don't know: fairly new federal
law called HIPPA
mandates ultra privacy in public medical settings (waiting rooms, hospital
lobbies, etc., even ER waiting rooms) and mandates YOU being a # *on their
records on public view* plus they're not supposed to "call out" your last
name!!! Try giving receptionist a stern look and mentioning "HIPPA" privacy
law - watch facial expressions change and fast hustle among personnel there.
It's ok to address you by your full name or last name in, say, the
examining, or xray, or ER "cubicle", but not in front of public hearing.

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
: JBHajos wrote:
: On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:41:33 -0600, Steve Touchstone
: wrote:
:
: Authority figures were always Sir or Ma'am; all adults, Mr, Mrs, or
: Miss (don't think we had even heard of Ms back then).
:
: We were raised the same way. Maybe I'm just an old fogy, but it
: *really* ticks me off to be called by my first name by strangers, now
: that I'm entitled to the honorifics. This was especially noticeable
: in Florida. "But it's just being friendly." But you're not yet my
: friend. Telephone solicitors starting off on a first name basis: I
: ask "Do I know you?" (Stops them every time). Doctor/Dentist offices:
: receptionist calls out "Jeanne" and three Jean(ne)s stand up. "I don't
: know how to pronounce your last name." So mispronounce it; I can
: figure it out. Grrrr!!!
:
: Jeanne (the old fogy)
:
: ROFL!!! Last time I was at the doctor's office they called out Ms.
: Mc..Mc..Mc... I can always tell when they are calling me. But I wanted to
: say "Who you calling a Mick?!" Just say McGowen (incorrect) and get it
over
: with; I'll know who you mean.
:
: Jill
:
:

Old March 28th 04, 03:31 AM
Tanada

jmcquown wrote:

Another regional difference. It's pretty standard in the south,
almost non-existent in the north. So it can be a jolt to a northern
woman to be "ma'amed" when it's nowhere in her experience.

Theresa

True enough, Theresa... I never run into this when I go up North I guess
this is what is left from the "old South" (pre-Civil War days)... M'ornin Mz
Scarlett ma'am ROFL

Jill

Funny, I call my students "Sir," Ma'am," or their names. They seem to
appreciate the courtesy. No, I don't think of it as being subservient
to my students, just showing them some of the manners I expect in return.

Pam S.

Old March 28th 04, 03:34 AM
David Yehudah

Jeanne, you sound just like me. Even worse is when they call me by my
last name, military style. I always insist they either call me by my
first name, if it's appropriate, or my last name preceded by Mr. or
Professor. Children are never allowed to call me anything but Mr. or
Sir. My children were never allowed to address their elders by their
first name; Yes, Ma'am, No, Ma'am, Yes, Sir, No, Sir were the only
appropriate responses allowable to adults. Please and Thank You were
used a lot. Believe it or not they are in their 30's now, and thye still
talk that way.

Old March 28th 04, 03:36 AM
Tanada

David Yehudah wrote:

I call every female above high-school age "Ma'am" just to be polite.
Here in California I still get these shocked responses when I address a
group of people as "Y'all."

Did you invite them to go on a snipe hunt again?

Pam S. wondering

Old March 28th 04, 03:43 AM
Tanada

JBHajos wrote:

We were raised the same way. Maybe I'm just an old fogy, but it
*really* ticks me off to be called by my first name by strangers, now
that I'm entitled to the honorifics. This was especially noticeable
in Florida. "But it's just being friendly." But you're not yet my
friend. Telephone solicitors starting off on a first name basis: I
ask "Do I know you?" (Stops them every time). Doctor/Dentist offices:
receptionist calls out "Jeanne" and three Jean(ne)s stand up. "I don't
know how to pronounce your last name." So mispronounce it; I can
figure it out. Grrrr!!!

Jeanne (the old fogy)

I had a student once ask me what my first name is. I told him Mrs. He
said, "No, really. What is your first name?" and I repeated "Mrs." He
gave up trying to be my buddy and called me Mrs. Shirk.

I hate it when people who don't know me, or are obviously younger call
me by my first name without my asking them to. The only think I hated
more was when a Doctor or Nurse practitioner would call me mom, or
mommy. I obviously had a first and last name, and if they didn't bother
to check the records before checking the patient, it was a sign to me
that they didn't care much about their patient.

Pam S.

Old March 28th 04, 03:48 AM
Tanada

Hopitus2 wrote:

Doc's Offices: here's something FYI bet you don't know: fairly new federal
law called HIPPA
mandates ultra privacy in public medical settings (waiting rooms, hospital
lobbies, etc., even ER waiting rooms) and mandates YOU being a # *on their
records on public view* plus they're not supposed to "call out" your last
name!!! Try giving receptionist a stern look and mentioning "HIPPA" privacy
law - watch facial expressions change and fast hustle among personnel there.
It's ok to address you by your full name or last name in, say, the
examining, or xray, or ER "cubicle", but not in front of public hearing.

So how are they supposed to get your attention now? I'm still going
through military hospitals and clinics where they yell your name and
rank out (if you have any) and you'd better be right there or at least
stirring, or they go to the next name on the list.

Pam S.

Old March 28th 04, 03:52 AM
Tanada

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

I couldn't call my mother anything other than "Mum" despite the
fact I know her full name, and she calls me "Victoria". Everyone
else calls me Vicky.

Except for your online friends, of course...

True... Even Joel knows who the phone call is for is someone is asking for
'Yowie'. LOL!

And my poor son will be known as The Yowlet' to the day he dies as well.
s******

You have begun your maternal life well, my padua apprentice. Now you
must learn how to describe the yowlet's input and outgo in vivid terms,
and save the references for his future, like when he turns two or so.
Starting him out right is so important.

Pam S. who told her kids that a parents job is to humiliate her children
into becoming adults.

Old March 28th 04, 03:54 AM
Tanada

Jette Goldie wrote:

It's not even that it's "cool" - it's just that the darn show
is on tv 5 days a week, and the kids just pick up the accent
unconsciously.

A few years ago it was "Neighbours" that was causing the
concern...... kids were turning Aussie!

This is bad?!! I could understand the concern about the Eastender
accent, but...

Pam S. who wants to be an Aussie