We're having a problem

Old May 4th 15, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default We're having a problem

About Boyfie pooing in the bath. It used to be only in an extreme
emergency, but he's done it 5 times in the last month. It's always
overnight after he refuses to go out last thing at night because of bad
weather.
It panicks him that he's had to, and I know he's done it because he wakes
me up and gallops up and down the stairs. Like OMG, I just had to.
I will make sure he goes out whatever the weather. There is nothing wrong
with him and until there is, pooing in the bath is not allowed. There's a
litter box right next to the bath with his preferred stuff in. Earth. but
he marches past it and poos in the bath.
Why?

Old May 4th 15, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 5/4/2015 10:15 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
About Boyfie pooing in the bath. It used to be only in an extreme
emergency, but he's done it 5 times in the last month. It's always
overnight after he refuses to go out last thing at night because of bad
weather.
It panicks him that he's had to, and I know he's done it because he wakes
me up and gallops up and down the stairs. Like OMG, I just had to.
I will make sure he goes out whatever the weather. There is nothing wrong
with him and until there is, pooing in the bath is not allowed. There's a
litter box right next to the bath with his preferred stuff in. Earth. but
he marches past it and poos in the bath.
Why?

Have you tried putting the litter box in the bath?

Joy
Old May 4th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. Doesn't work. There is no way he will agree to using one to poo in.
Ever. Even when he had to stay at the vet's, he would not wee in a tray
unless it was earth, and he pooed in his bed.
It's not a huge problem as it's easily cleaned up but he is now doing it
because he can't be bothered. and we need to have a serious word about That.
He'll be spending his nights in the conservatory soon.

Old May 4th 15, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Tried it.
I've just told my cat that he is lucky.

Old May 4th 15, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

I did, it's pointless. He's made it clear all his life that he doesn't "do"
litterboxes, they are for stinky cats only.

Old May 4th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

About Boyfie pooing in the bath. It used to be only in an extreme
emergency, but he's done it 5 times in the last month. It's always
overnight after he refuses to go out last thing at night because of bad
weather.
It panicks him that he's had to, and I know he's done it because he wakes
me up and gallops up and down the stairs. Like OMG, I just had to.
I will make sure he goes out whatever the weather. There is nothing wrong
with him and until there is, pooing in the bath is not allowed. There's a
litter box right next to the bath with his preferred stuff in. Earth. but
he marches past it and poos in the bath.
Why?

Are you familiar with Dr. Elsay's Cat Attract Litter? The scent is
designed to attract cats to the litter box, and many people have had
great success with it. The same company also makes Dr. Elsay's Cat
Attract Additive. That comes in a smaller container and is designed to
be sprinkled on the top of the litter (or earth, in your case). There
are also a lot of success stories with it. Here is a description on
amazon.com.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MaryL

Old May 5th 15, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 4:46:19 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like my mother's (RB) cat, who did his business outside.
My mother didn't bother with a litter box and was glad she didn't have to
clean one. That meant when Scruffy demanded to be let out, he was let out
right away. Can't remember what happened when he spent the night at the vet's,
except he escaped from his cage and was found wandering in the clinic.

Winnie
Old May 6th 15, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

No, I haven't heard about this, I'll have a look at it. He "will" wee in an
earth box (he had to when I had to keep him in after his Dreadful Operation)
but it had to be right next to the back door and he would not poo in it, he
used the bath.
I'm anxious that it doesn't become a habit.
He woke me up before 6.30 this morning. I can't tell the difference between
"I think you should get up now and give me my breakfast" meows, which are
not encouraged, and "I desperately need to poo" meows.

Anyway, I heard him scratching in the bathtub so I leapt up. Caught him
just in time - the minute he heard my bedroom door open, he was out of the
bath and rushing down the stairs to the door to go out. Maybe he is not
able to hold out like he used to, in which case I'm not going to make a fuss
about it, but he can be quite crafty.
He also knows he isn't allowed up on the worktops in my kitchen. If I am
sitting down watching TV he will often stroll into the kitchen and I hear
him jump up there. If he hears me get up from my chair to catch him doing
it, I hear him jump down before I can get there.
I say "you weren't up on the worktop looking for food, were you?" He says
"what, me? of course not." He can be such a liar ;-)

Bath-pooing is allowed in emergencies only, like diarrhoea. He's done it
recently because it was windy and raining and got away with it and maybe he
thinks it OK now.
I know I let him get away with everything. I never raise my voice to him
because he is so timid. Maybe I should because he seems to know that he
is kind of a nortyboy for going up on the worktops otherwise he wouldn't
jump down the moment he thinks I am about to find him doing it.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt about the bath situation atm.

Tweed

Which suggests that he somehow knows

Old May 6th 15, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Rusty" wrote in message
On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 4:46:19 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

It's not that I don't bother with a litterbox, Winnie, I do. Boyfie is very
stubborn about it.
My cat could not have escaped from his small stainless steel cage when he
was at the vets. They have in-patient dogs too but not in the same room,
imagine what would happen if a cat got into the dog room or vice versa.
Would never happen anyway.

"If" Boyfie cannot genuinely hold on overnight, I am Ok with it. Although
I think he can and just got away with it too many times recently.

If he keeps doing it he will visit the vet. If he is fine (I think he is)
he will have to spend the night in the conservatory where he can get out
into the garden instead of in his bedroom.

Old May 6th 15, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 5/6/2015 11:29 AM, Christina Websell wrote:

No, I haven't heard about this, I'll have a look at it. He "will" wee in an
earth box (he had to when I had to keep him in after his Dreadful Operation)
but it had to be right next to the back door and he would not poo in it, he
used the bath.
I'm anxious that it doesn't become a habit.
He woke me up before 6.30 this morning. I can't tell the difference between
"I think you should get up now and give me my breakfast" meows, which are
not encouraged, and "I desperately need to poo" meows.

snip
Tweed

Has Boyfie had a recent checkup by the vet? I know this has been an
ongoing problem for you, but it is important to make sure that he does
not have a urinary tract infection. That is a common problem with male
cats.

MaryL