Smokey doesn't understand

Old September 27th 19, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Default Smokey doesn't understand

Actually Smokey is selfish, but what do you expect from a Kat.

Grumpy old bill just had a knee replacement on Monday, which means I can't do some of Smokey's favourite things, snuggling on the floor, bathing on the floor, etc.. I've tried to tell her that dad hurt his knee and he can't bend down.

The knee replacement went fairly well, although they should have done it a while ago. I have an auto-immune disease, which among other things screws with my joints. I was really active until about 3 years ago when I fell down stairs and blew out the cartilage in my right knee. The first Ortho was a complete dick and wasted two years of my life. It took about 18 months to see the second Ortho, then another 6 months wait for the surgery. They use a spinal anesthesia, which is much easier on your body. I woke up after the surgery in the OR and asked the surgeon, 'Can I get out of here today'. He said yes!. Next I wake up in the ICU because of the other possible issues related to my auto-immune disease. After a bit of charm and PITA I got the ICU doc to spring me to recovery. I get to the ward and I told the nurse that the surgeon said I could get out of here today, how do we make that happen. Apparently you have to do the Physio obstacle course and pee in a bottle.. The ward doctor, whom I never met did not want to release me, but I think the surgeon overruled her. My 'work son' showed up to provide cover and I was out of there in two hours. I've been using the cane ever since I got home, I only needed the walker to get past the hospital Gestapo. I also had to eat the hospital dinner, OMG, I wouldn't feed that to my cat. I didn't even get my jello.

Things weren't as rosy the last couple of days, the wound has been oozing (which they did mention), and my leg has swelled nicely and turned a lovely shade of red. I went back to the day surgery unit, hoping I could bypass the system. Nope. I had to go to ER, which I was told you can't get to from here. But I found a kinder hospital employee who used his staff pass on the elevator to let me in the back door of the ER. I still had to wait for triage, yada, yada. The nurses were sure it was infected, but four hours later they paged the Ortho Resident who never returned the call I made before I started today's adventure. He texted the surgeon and they decided that my knee was just very angry. Apparently 72 hours is about the peak for the after effects of knew surgery. NFI. I can live with the discomfort, but if you leave something like that too long, you could become a pirate. The nurse told me when I left that she definitely would have come in for that and to come back if the symptoms change.

Anyway enough about me, Smokey is doing OK, she's pooping, peeing, having her baths, demanding and a snuggler. She has arthritis real bad and pretty much lives upstairs now. The really good news is that I'll be in front of the computer for about 8 weeks to bother you all. :-)
Old September 27th 19, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Still Bud

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 19:42:42 -0700 (PDT), Bill Stock
wrote:

Actually Smokey is selfish, but what do you expect from a Kat.

Grumpy old bill

Is FAR too concerned with his own problems, and not NEARLY concerned
enough about his cat's comfort. Obviously.

MY (former) cat decided to go live with my landlord when I was in the
hospital for a heart bypass operation last year. He still comes up to
me to get petted, IN the front yard, but won't come into the back
where I live. He doesn't like the landlord's VERY friendly Lab.

Old September 27th 19, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/26/2019 10:42 PM, Bill Stock wrote:

[...]

Wow! What a not so pleasant adventure. (My SO is contemplating the the
same procedure.) Smokey will just have to be patient with dear ol' dad
while he recuperates.

Jill
Old September 28th 19, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Tell your SO to get it done while they are younger. The operation itself went smoothly, they do so many of these now. The surgery itself was somewhere around 90 minutes plus. But they screwed up my painkiller prescription, so I did not get them until day 3. It's also really swollen ATM and I can't take NSAIDS, so I did a lot of icing today, but the leg still looks like an overstuffed sausage.
Old September 28th 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/27/2019 7:27 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
Tell your SO to get it done while they are younger. The operation itself went smoothly, they do so many of these now. The surgery itself was somewhere around 90 minutes plus. But they screwed up my painkiller prescription, so I did not get them until day 3. It's also really swollen ATM and I can't take NSAIDS, so I did a lot of icing today, but the leg still looks like an overstuffed sausage.

Well, my SO had heart surgery earlier this year and wound up with a
pacemaker. He's not exactly in a hurry to undergo knee surgery and a
bout of physical rehab again any time soon. He's talked to the
cardiologist and seen an orthopediist. He's had x-rays done. He's
thinking about it. I can understand why he might not want to undergo
another surgical procedure.

I tell him what I think but I can't make up his mind for him.

I'll ask Buffy to purr for your speedy recovery. She purrs very loudly.
Smokey should curl up next to you and purr for the swelling in your
knee to go down.

Jill
Old September 28th 19, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock[_2_]

Smokey actually stayed beside me most of last night. She normally sleeps at the very end of my arm.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to expect from the rehab, I know it's at least six months. Things seemed peachy until the swelling set in. Doing another session with the Slushie machine my surgeon recommended at our intro.
Old December 15th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

Bill Stock wrote:
Actually Smokey is selfish, but what do you expect from a Kat.

Grumpy old bill just had a knee replacement on Monday, which means I can't do some of Smokey's favourite things, snuggling on the floor, bathing on the floor, etc.. I've tried to tell her that dad hurt his knee and he can't bend down.

How is it going? I had one a couple years ago, still getting strength back
in it. But the pain is gone.