Now that most of the shock has worn off....

Old July 9th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Default Now that most of the shock has worn off....

On Jul 6, 7:40*am, bobblespin wrote:
\
When they announced to the staff where I worked years ago that half of us
would be laid off soon, we were in shock. *However, they cheered us up by
saying it wouldn't be done on a Friday. They were serious. Apparently human
resources folks did a study which showed that letting people go at the end
of the week spoils their weekend! *What planet do these people live on?

Bobble- Hide quoted text -

I got my layoff notice on July 4, 2 days before my 20th anniversary
with the company. Afterwards, I was given a nice gift catalog from
which to choose my
anniversary gift. I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. Now I look at
July 4th very
differently.
My next layoff notice was received before Christmas.

Winnie

Old July 9th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Jane wrote:
I got FIRED on Thursday!! snip
The Princess Rita doesn't seem to care that I'm home. I think this is
going to hit really hard on Monday, when I have nowhere to go.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

I'm so very sorry, Jane.
Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for you to find a much better job
really soon and for Rita to take good care of you in the meantime,
Polonca and Soncek
Old July 10th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Purrs that an even better job comes your way soonest.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old July 12th 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Kreisleriana wrote:
wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

The most important bullet point was this one, IMO:
"Don't disclose. You don't have to disclose lifestyle choices or
off-the-clock activities unless there is a clear link to your
ability to perform the job, Secunda said."

Ah yes - Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is saying "stay in your closet".
I don't agree with this. There is a risk in coming out (whatever you
are coming out about), but for a lot of people, those risks are
necessary. So let's not go overboard about telling people they have
to shut up about who they are. I just think people should be
informed about the risk, and understand the reality, so they can
decide whether it's worth it to them to be open about themselves.

I wasn't saying this from the point of view of self-censorship. I was
saying this from the point of view that I simply don't believe that an
employer has the right to ask certain questions of its employees, or
of its potential employees. To me, this borders on them wanting to
own me and my entire life. Work is not life. Work is an economic
exchange of time, services and money. My employers do not own me
when I go home. They do not have the right to dictate my behavior on
my own time.

This is so true! I remember when personal questions weren't verboten in the
interview process. My first "real" job (unless you count the ice cream
parlor/burger joint, which I don't) the interviewer asked whether or not I
had a boyfriend. Then he said, "Are you planning to have children? Because
I'm not going to hire someone who is going to go out on maternity leave in
the next year." These days they can't legally ask you something like that.
At the time, I simply informed him I had no intention of having children,
ever. But really, it was none of his business, any more than it was his
business if I was a high-class call girl on weekends. LOL

Jill